Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's his assist record like ?

I know players like modric wasn't to great either as he was more of assist the assist but Dembele's goal scoring record is pretty poor. I just wonder what people think he adds to our game? Out of 118 total appearances for us , I can only think of a handful were he was the player we hope we bought. I'm not looking to prove anyone wrong as we all see players differently but I just don't get him. Yup he can be a beautiful footballer to watch but , for me, there's little end product.

He's 28

He's been a DM for years. If he was an AM, and he had the goals and assist rate he had, then I would be the first to want him out the door.

What does his appearance to goals ratio mean? Did we buy him on the back of scoring 30 goals a season for Fulham from midfield or something?

So far this season, despite being a lot leaner and hard working, Dembele has created more chances than Bentaleb, has won more tackles and has intercepted more than Bentaleb and has also provided more key passes. Not to mention his sucessful pass ratio.

I don't prefer Dembele in central midfield but I've NEVER seen him with Dier alongside him. Dembele was outstanding alongside defence minded Sandro so it could be a good partnership in certain games.

Yep. I am pretty sure Dembele and Sandro had our highest prem points total despite finishing 5th.

But personally, I want him to be played as an AM from now on.

On his day Dembele is a joy to watch, he makes the game look so easy. However I do believe we've seen the best of him for Spurs at least, he doesn't look as sharp or fit as he did when he first joined, which is obviously no surprise due to injury and a lack of games. Happy for him to stay and would love to see him back to his best, as others have already said though, wasted at DM, needs to be in that pocket behind the striker.

He's been a DM for years. If he was an AM, and he had the goals and assist rate he had, then I would be the first to want him out the door.

The thing is that he has played AM for various clubs, albeit not constant & his stats are poor. There's also got to be a reason why several managers have not had him as a constant AM. Like I say he can be great to watch but at the end of the day he's there to score or create goals, which he doesn't . I really hope he turns it around

He's bound to score now isn't he? :D

He kills our attacks when he plays further up the field. Far too indecisive. That's why he's mainly used as a DM.

I wonder if his problem is that , yup, he has great talent but lacks the footballing brain & that's why he either runs down blind alleys or things simply just fade out

In a way, I would like him to stay, as for various reasons, we haven't really seen the best of him. However if we can get a reasonable wedge for him and that money is actually used to strengthen the team in the areas we are lacking, then I would gladly sacrifice him.

I think he has more natural ability than a Hazard or de Bruyne but as effective footballers in a game of football, they are better and you can't compare them further then that. Spurs fans seem to be the only fans who tend to be against Dembele. Then again, other fans won't be watching him every week

when he was played on the right of the front 3 behind the striker in the first few games of the season, i thought he was probably our best player on the pitch in each of those games

and then he got injured :dembele:

when he was played on the right of the front 3 behind the striker in the first few games of the season, i thought he was probably our best player on the pitch in each of those games

and then he got injured :dembele:
You're not wrong. He was starting to finally look like he got it. Poch clearly trusted him and had him working hard in the summer. He was putting in a shift, worked very hard, not afraid to put a foot in and we know how good he is on the ball.

I think he has more natural ability than a Hazard or de Bruyne but as effective footballers in a game of football, they are better and you can't compare them further then that. Spurs fans seem to be the only fans who tend to be against Dembele. Then again, other fans won't be watching him every week

Unfortunately neither are we (watching him every week that is). I really, really hope that will change, that he can stay injury free for a while and be used as our main AM man for others to roam around.

He is though.

He just needs to be utilised correctly.
How would he be utilised correctly? His talents involve holding the ball and beating a man. Great. Then what? Doesn't have great passing and isn't a goalscorer. His main use for me is playing for a draw or holding onto a lead. He slows down our attacks soooo much. Would not have him ahead of Eriksen, Son, Mason or Lamela at the moment in the front 3.

Back
Top Bottom