Most Overrated Players in your lifetime

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Over rated players ? I’ll probably get shouted down but leading contenders for me are Neymar, Pogba & Dick Van Dijk of Liverpool. Van Dijk isn’t in Alderweireld or Vertonghen’s class. I always thought that Rio Ferdinand wasn’t as good as he was made out to be either. Totally agree with Beckham being over rated too

Completely agree with Neymar - never actually seen him change a game by himself. Granted, I haven't actually seen him play in that many games, but the ones I've seen have been the ones on the big stage and I've never seen him step up and drag his team through.

Most people who are 70+ couldn’t have seen him more than 5 times considering the lack of television football coverage back then. He’s a myth that was carefully built by himself and FIFA. Di Steffano had similar figures while playing in a pro league

My Brazilian mate always said that back home everyone rated Garrincha more.
The Brazilians loved Garrincha more because he was a joy to watch and a piss artist to boot. For anyone to say Pele was not a great if not the greatest player ever is idiocy at it's peak. The players who played with him say there are great footballers and then there is Pele.and yes I saw him play in the 66 world cup at Goodison Park where he was brutalised by Portugal. Garrincha at the same game was way past his best but still scored a free kick that went up and down as well as from side to side before nearly breaking the net. (ok I have bullshitted a bit with that last comment ) but it looked like that from behind the goal.

His performance in the 1958 World Cup as a 17 year old is where it started. When he was 2 years younger than Mbappe he scored a hat trick in the semi-final and 2 goals in the final.
Puskas was tearing Europe apart on a weekly basis then.

You're proving the mythical thinking about Pele. some mythical facts on an obscure tournament in Sweden.

Not saying he wasn't good (I really have no idea), but when you talk of Pele you usually talk of the myth of him

John Barnes
Lived of "that" goal against Brazil for years.
I remember watching the 1986(?) WC and we all called him "Was Barnes" due to the commentators saying "HERE's BARNES.........that was Barnes"
IIRC in an interview after 1 of the matches he was asked "So, John you didn't have the best of games today ?"
His answer was along the lines of "Well, if the other players don't give me the ball, I can't do anything ".

Err..what's wrong with working you arse off when you lose it, you lazy bastard.

My first thought was john Barnes.

Lived off that goal at international level for years, just stood on the touchline getting cold for the remainder of his career.

Also agree about neymar, now playing in the French league, sums him up.

Puskas was tearing Europe apart on a weekly basis then.

You're proving the mythical thinking about Pele. some mythical facts on an obscure tournament in Sweden.

Not saying he wasn't good (I really have no idea), but when you talk of Pele you usually talk of the myth of him

Couldn't that be said about almost any sportsman from a bygone era ?

Might be. the point was that Pele built his own myth, when footballers on similar pedigree of the time didn't. So when people put him down as the best it's usually because of his myth rather than his merit.

How does one build their own myth ? If it is possible expect to hear a lot about the greatness of Brendan Rogers in 50 years !

How does one build their own myth ? If it is possible expect to hear a lot about the greatness of Brendan Rogers in 50 years !
Pele had multiple collaborations with FIFA (like choosing the best 125 living players and such) and all sorts of global events where he was introduced as the greatest of all time.

Think of Sherwood only with the apparatus of FIFA behind him

are we going to call someone the greatest player ever because of one international tournament?

No I just quoted that one as an example of how great he was but he was a great player in a great team whereas Maradonna was a great player in a poor side and therefore the greatest for me

Pele had multiple collaborations with FIFA (like choosing the best 125 living players and such) and all sorts of global events where he was introduced as the greatest of all time.

Yeah but he only got to do that because of his greatness , bit like Tiger Woods collaboration with PGA on various projects over the years it was because of the greatness acheived in the sport of Golf.

Back
Top Bottom