Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch is oozing class and inner confidence. I think this is our year boys. If we can win this he will go down as a true Spurs Legend. I love the fucking bloke. The best Spurs manager/coach I've ever seen (by a mile) in my life time that's for sure

He doesn't seem to put a foot wrong. He's made for Spurs, you can feel the love and passion he has for our great club. I'm gonna cry, lol.

I think we will continue to do well it is only a case of whether or not Chelsea slip up, this season, in terms of the league. I think we have a great chance of winning one of the cups this season. I think once the players have a taste of winning and the belief that will give them they will want more.

Poch is oozing class and inner confidence. I think this is our year boys. If we can win this he will go down as a true Spurs Legend. I love the fucking bloke. The best Spurs manager/coach I've ever seen (by a mile) in my life time that's for sure

He doesn't seem to put a foot wrong. He's made for Spurs, you can feel the love and passion he has for our great club. I'm gonna cry, lol.

He is one very clever manager. Never puts a foot wrong with the media imo. I have a man fetish for him.
The saints fan called it when we got Poch. It was a bold call & it was absolutely on the money.

Can't find his post right now, but that was one lad who knew his shit.

The saints fan called it when we got Poch. It was a bold call & it was absolutely on the money.

Can't find his post right now, but that was one lad who knew his shit.

Frightening how bang on he was!

Saints fan in peace.
Very interesting reading all the different opinions on Poch on here.

Seems like every player, manager and coaching staff at Southampton is linked to another club at the moment, which I guess means we are at least doing something right, but it doesn't half do my head in!

We will of course lose key people, but for my money the single most important (Over and above Lallana, Shaw, Lovern etc.) is Poch.

I've been following Saints for over 30 years home and away this guy is the real deal and just a breath of fresh air in the Premiership.8th is a very credible finish, but it could have have been higher. We were a quality striker away from something very special and it really is down to him.

No idea what way this whole thing will pan out, (And I fully understand the footballing pecking order), you lot are a much bigger club, but don't just assume he will join if offered the chance.
As long as you don't get him ..... Good luck for next season.

I think he would do an incredible job at Spurs - But there will be casualties
He will lay out his ideas and ethos out and the players will need to buy into them and not all of them will.
The unanswered question withy regard to Poch is how he manages the "Bigger" players. At Espanyol and Saints he hasn't really had any superstars, to have to mould or develop (It is easier to dictate how you want things done to young or ego free players). For those that do buy into him or as a minimum simply tow the line, he will get the very best out of them and I think that is his biggest skill. He will also improve and develop the younger players, which seems to be his mantra.

Player for player you have a better squad than us - If he can knit them together and playing to their potential in the way he done for us, then you'll be very successful.
There is a conflict between expectation and developing the younger players, so without knowing what Levy wants in that department it's hard to comment how that will play out, but don't be surprised to suddenly see unknown players from your academy on the bench or even in the team. I am probably just a soppy old sod, but there is something very gratifying about watching homegrown talent and Poch will give them a chance.

As I said before, I could live with losing all our star players if we got to keep him and hope we do everything we can to keep him.
Oh and For the purists amongst you - you will play the best football you have for years.

But that's all irrelevant - There's only one Frank De Boer :) :) :) : )

Saints fan in peace.
To those of you bitching and moaning about MP let me give you some context.

I am and have been a Saints fan for over 30 years. Season ticket holder since I was 7 (With the exception of two separate years - when kids and finances dictated) and have seen players and managers come and go, which is part of the game.

I've seen players like Channon, Ball, Shilton, Wright, Keegan, Williams, Wallace, Shearer, Hoddle (You lot again) Walcott, Bale, Chamberlain etc. etc. all leave.
Not one of those departures hurts as much as this one.
I genuinely think you now have one of the best managers in the league. He is completely different from anything else you have seen. Not all players will survive his arrival - Including big names, but for those of you that are moaning..... take yourselves back to the first half at White Hart Lane against the Saints...... We battered you, humiliated you and then gave away a bizarre goal and let you back in. Your squad won't let that happen - More maturity, depth and quality.

Enjoy the ride - And you will get one.

Something that has me very excited about Pochettino now: his growing tactical flexibility, and tailoring the team to play the opponent in question rather than simply having a Plan A that is used for all occasions.

Before, certainly before the start of this season, I felt like Poch had one formation/style which was pretty darn good yet could be undone if the opposition sussed us out (one exception being when we played on the counter against Woolwich at the Emirites). I don't know whether that was down to Poch developing as a manager, waiting to bring in the right players, or waiting for the squad to learn the basics. Possibly a combination.

But now we're seeing him use different formations, different approaches (i.e. the use of the press) and it feels like his game management has improved massively. I remember quite a few 'dubious' substitutions in his first season with us, but that hasn't been the case for a while now.

I think there's a good example today against West Brom:

• Poch knows they'll park the bus and has instructed the players on how to feed the attackers
  • West Brom can head the ball away effectively from crosses, so keep those to a minimum (look at all the short corners, for example)
  • West Brom will also put men back to stand in the way and make it difficult to play the ball along the ground.
The solution? He found the 'finishing move' against them and our players kept doing it today: chipping the ball over the defensive line on the edge of the box.

im4qCrPlCLeSI.gif

ow8P0RGHOCD7y.gif

I don't remember seeing this used by our players before (certainly not repeatedly in a match), and although only one of the goals came from doing so - it could have been more without Foster.
One-two runs are a great way to break down compact defences, so it's fantastic if we have this as another string to our attacking bow.

Now for Man City, I guess we'll just have to wait with excitement to see what Poch will drill into the players this week. Given Pep's stubbornness - I wouldn't be surprised if we did what we've done before and press their somewhat suspect defenders.

Funnily enough, this is actually an extra reason I think we'd benefit so much from not being in the Europa League for much longer - beyond the simple fatigue of playing midweek, the players would also have less time to mentally prepare for the next league opponents.

When it comes to new managers or players joining us I always try to see what my gut feeling is, and although I cannot prove it (as I wasn't on this forum), I can say that I have always had a very good feeling about him.

Mind you, I had a good feeling about AVB, so overall I am even :)

3 at the back has been great but like all systems other Managers will eventually find a way of defeating it. We have a plan A And plan B now and should use both which will make it harder to defeat. I think the way we played yesterday we would have won whichever system we played. It was not the system that won the match but the way the players so confidently relentlessly went for it.

I would give most of my major organs just to come off the pitch and be hugged by Pochettino, or have him sat at my side with his arm around me as a I pretend to sign a blank piece of paper

Last edited:
The solution? He found the 'finishing move' against them and our players kept doing it today: chipping the ball over the defensive line on the edge of the box.

I don't remember seeing this used by our players before (certainly not repeatedly in a match), and although only one of the goals came from doing so - it could have been more without Foster.

In fairness, it is something i've seen us try a fair few times over the last couple of seasons. Eriksen and Alli are fans of it, It's just never come off before.

The reason is because of the length of time it takes for the ball to go up and come down again, then be controlled and fired at goal. You almost have to rely on the back line and the keeper being rooted to the spot with the sheer audacity of the move, which is what happened on Saturday! I have a suspicion that if it hadnt been the 4th goal conceded then it wouldn't have come off.

But fuck it. It did, and i would rather see us try those crazy piss take moves 1000 times and them not come off than i would see us play "safe" football week in week out. The amount of nutmegs in our team alone shows you where we are confidence wise at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom