Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was a long interview with Pochettino in La Nación yesterday, one of Argentina's leading papers. It's actually split over two links, the "short" version which claims to be a summary includes stuff that's not in the "full" interview. The articles are in Spanish but here are the most interesting points...

· He hasn’t been to Argentina for 4 years even though his parents, aunts and uncles and so on still live in Murphy. When he moved to Barcelona in 1994 to play for Espanyol he made a conscious decision that he was bringing his family to Europe, relocating here permanently. He's a Spanish citizen now for example.

· He normally arrives for work at 7 am and doesn’t leave till 8 pm

· He tells players “I don’t care if you make a mistake, what I care about is that you don’t try what you got wrong again. You can try 20 times, I don’t care, but keep trying”

· When he arrived in England in January 2013 he couldn’t speak a word of English. His sons made him a list of the key words to learn – goalkeeper, referee, ball, pass...

· At Espanyol and Southampton he had to use young players because there was no alternative, at the former because the club sold its best players every six months, at the latter because they could only sign one or two players a year. At Spurs it was different, there were good players but he wanted to change the physiognomy of the squad, the players he got rid of weren’t up to adapting to the new profile he wanted so he preferred to look at the youngsters coming through

· When he retired as a player he did a Master’s Degree in Business Management, he wanted to study as a normal student like anyone else.

· He knows practically nothing about the current state of Argentinean football. He says he’s not interested in the slightest about rumours linking him to Barcelona or Manchester United. He has no idea whether or not there was any truth in the rumour linking him to the Argentina job, in any event he wouldn’t have been interested, although in the long term he’d like to manage Newell’s Old Boys and the national team. He also reckons people in Argentina don’t know a lot about him, he says over there we’re “El Tottenham de Lamela” not “El Tottenham de Pochettino” (although the interviewer says this changed after beating Chelsea).

· He’s very complementary about English football and his life here, also about the reception he gets from people

"Full" interview:
Mauricio Pochettino: "No necesito miles de seguidores en Twitter para ser feliz"
"Short" version
Pochettino desconocido: lleva cuatro años sin venir al país, compra yerba por Internet y tiene un master en gestión de empresa

Last edited:
There was a long interview with Pochettino in La Nación yesterday, one of Argentina's leading papers. It's actually split over two links, the "short" version which claims to be a summary includes stuff that's not in the "full" interview. The articles are in Spanish but here are the most interesting points...

· He hasn’t been to Argentina for 4 years even though his parents, aunts and uncles and so on still live in Murphy. When he moved to Barcelona in 1998 to play for Espanyol he made a conscious decision that he was bringing his family to Europe, relocating here permanently. He's a Spanish citizen now for example.

· He normally arrives for work at 7 am and doesn’t leave till 8 pm

· He tells players “I don’t care if you make a mistake, what I care about is that you don’t try what you got wrong again. You can try 20 times, I don’t care, but keep trying”

· When he arrived in England in January 2013 he couldn’t speak a word of English. His sons made him a list of the key words to learn – goalkeeper, referee, ball, pass...

· At Espanyol and Southampton he had to use young players because there was no alternative, at the former because the club sold its best players every six months, at the latter because they could only sign one or two players a year. At Spurs it was different, there were good players but he wanted to change the physiognomy of the squad, the players he got rid of weren’t up to adapting to the new profile he wanted so he preferred to look at the youngsters coming through

· When he retired as a player he did a Master’s Degree in Business Management, he wanted to study as a normal student like anyone else.

· He knows practically nothing about the current state of Argentinean football. He says he’s not interested in the slightest about rumours linking him to Barcelona or Manchester United. He has no idea whether or not there was any truth in the rumour linking him to the Argentina job, in any event he wouldn’t have been interested, although in the long term he’d like to manage Newell’s Old Boys and the national team. He also reckons people in Argentina don’t know a lot about him, he says over there we’re “El Tottenham de Lamela” not “El Tottenham de Pochettino” (although the interviewer says this changed after beating Chelsea).

· He’s very complementary about English football and his life here, also about the reception he gets from people

"Full" interview:
Mauricio Pochettino: "No necesito miles de seguidores en Twitter para ser feliz"
"Short" version
Pochettino desconocido: lleva cuatro años sin venir al país, compra yerba por Internet y tiene un master en gestión de empresa

Thanks, haven't seen this reported over here......I bet that would be different if he'd said he would leave for Man Utd or Barca.....

Love him and what he's done; think he's developing as a coach too. I hope he stays for at least a couple of years at the new stadium. I just wish we had a better song for him - unless I've recently become tone deaf, the one we've got has no tune!!

If you have never had Argentine BBQ then you ain't lived, the best in the world mate!. Get yourself down to this place in Hackney, you want regret it.

Nothing beats Deep South BBQ. Doesn't look like BBQ anyway, I think that's just really delicious-looking grilled meat.

"Full" interview:
"Short" version

I've always wondered how foreign managers get their ideas across when they don't speak the language. Do they just have translators relay their instructions?

Tottenham have offered scholarship to Mauricio Pochettino's 15-year-old son Maurizio

So he now has 3 sons on the books at spurs! :pochserious2:

[1 is a sports scientist, the other has a huge following in Korea]

It's all part of the plan. His sons will have more sons, who will also sign for Spurs, some will become players, some coaches/doctors/scouts, and by 2040 half the people on the club's payroll will have the surname "Pochettino". :pochsmirk:

Back
Top Bottom