Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Read the first half of this page and thought I'd missed a good cunt off. Just like me in the bedroom, however, it appears to have ended prematurely.

I am disappoint.

I rise above the beef these days mate. I probably deserve 99% of the shit I get on here. The other 1% is probably in lieu of the meltdown I'm going to have next time we lose.

My relationship with Spurs is like Auderes with his wife.

Several times she has told me she's off for a house party with the Harlem globetrotters and not to wait up.....

Yet I always take her back.

:ledleylick::pochfacepalm:

:levyeyes::levyeyes::levyeyes:

I just hope when he does leave us one day it is for Barcelona and not Real Madrid (fuck those cunts) or another team in England.

I also hope he realises that at only 43 years old, he can afford to spend at least 10 years with us before going elsewhere... :avbpray:

The thing is, how many big, big teams will want to take him on and allow him to work his high intensity pressing game? Do you think when Real signed Bale they said "here mate, we're signing you to train"? I'm not really worried about losing him to an English team anymore either, I genuinely think he really cares about us now.

The BBC are reporting this story on their gossip page. The link is from the Evening Standard, which quotes everybody's favourite, Marca. It is significant that Marca are asking the question - we know all about their association to RM and how they unsettle players. If Marca are starting to ask the question, you can bet Perez is involved somewhere, and this worries me. In effect the club denies 'tapping up' Poch by 'outsourcing' to Marca. I just hope Zizou wins the league and CL and then maybe they will bugger off... for now. Then let's go to their place next year and turn them over!

I don't know the mind of the man, however do we think he would up sticks to the circus act that is Real. The egos that he would need to get rid of, implementing his philosophy, players being signed without his consent. The conditions he would be expected to work under would be completely against what he wants.

Lets see how it pans out with us before we start worrying about losing him to a bigger fish in La Liga. I think his whole philosophy is more suited to Barcelona than Real. They don't look like needing a coach just yet.

How Mauricio Pochettino gave Tottenham the Premier League’s best defence
Tottenham’s pressing game has been cunningly adjusted by Pochettino and the manager’s deployment of Eric Dier as a central midfielder who can drop into the backline has been key their success
Jonathan Wilson

Tottenham have the best defensive record in the Premier League. It’s not a sentence we’re used to hearing. Not since 1951 have Spurs finished a campaign with the best defensive record of the division they’ve been in. It’s not the Spurs way. They’re supposed to be about moments of occasional attacking genius set against a background of general flakiness. Not any more.

It’s Tottenham’s pressing that really stands out. They perhaps don’t push quite as high or with such relentlessness as Mauricio Pochettino’s Southampton, but that’s part of his maturation as a manager. In previous years his sides have tended to dip in the latter part of the season, but that dip has become less and less pronounced as he has adapted to the demands of the Premier League. The pressing is more controlled now, and if anything seems even more effective.

Pochettino’s inspiration is clear, the parallels between the Newell’s Old Boys side in which he came of age as a central defender and this Spurs obvious. “When we won the titles, and reached the final of the Copa Libertadores [in 1992], we were very similar to the squad that we have now,” Pochettino said this month. “In terms of the average age of the squad, and in the balance between younger and experienced players. There were very good youngsters – like me – and very good experienced players. A similar balance, a similar project.”

Youth is important, if only because young players tended to be more biddable and less cynical than more seasoned players, more willing to follow a manager’s commands.

Pochettino was 13 when he first met Marcelo Bielsa, who at the time had just joined Newell’s as youth co-ordinator. Bielsa, terrified of flying and meticulous as ever, had divided Argentina into 70 sections and, believing talent from the interior was often overlooked, was determined to drive to each of them in his Fiat 147 to search for players. Pochettino’s home town of Murphy – population 3,500, including the parents of the future Southampton goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga – was one of his shorter trips, being located, like Rosario where Newell’s are based, in Santa Fe province, but it was 2am by the time Bielsa turned up. He looked at the sleeping boy’s legs, declared him a footballer and signed him on the spot. Five years later, Bielsa replaced José Yudica as coach and Pochettino was elevated to the first team.

The influence of Marcelo Bielsa, who signed Mauricio Pochettino for Newell’s Old Boys, is apparent in the way Spurs play. Bielsa is here coaching Chile in 2009. Photograph: Albeiro Lopera/Reuters

By 1992 the style had evolved. Juan Manuel Llop, who had been regarded as a right-back who could play in the centre, was shifted into central midfield, with a brief to drop back and become an extra centre-back when the two full-backs were drawn forwards. That was a 3-4-3 rather than Tottenham’s 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 hybrid, but the similarity between Llop’s role and that of Eric Dier, the way a solid base was constructed as a platform for the press, is clear.

Although Pochettino has begun to rotate the full-backs, he has kept the heart of his defence stable. Jan Vertonghen’s knee injury has forced a change but before that, he and Toby Alderweireld had started together in the first 23 league games of the season. Kevin Wimmer has started the three matches since Vertonghen’s injury, becoming only the third centre-back used by Spurs this season; the contrast to 2007-08 when they used nine different central defenders is telling.

In 21 of those games, they had Dier sitting just in front of them. That relationship is key. Vertonghen and Alderweireld play at full-back for Belgium; they may prefer operating centrally but they are capable and not unused to moving wide. Dier can then drop back between them as a de facto third centre-back – at Watford in December, in fact, the trio started as a back three to combat Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo.

That capacity to switch to a back three during games in turn gives the full-backs licence to push on, which is useful from an attacking point of view in that it allows them to offer creative width but it’s also an advantage from a defensive point of view, facilitating the press high up the pitch.

The effectiveness of that can be seen in a number of statistics. Tottenham make the sixth-most tackles per game in the Premier League, but what’s significant about that is that of the five teams who tackle more than they do, only Liverpool have had more possession this season, while three are in the bottom four for possession (and, obviously, there is a correlation between not having the ball – low possession – and a high tackle rate to try to win it back).

Spurs also make more fouls per game than anybody else – 12.7 per game – evidence of how far they’ve come from the old days of being regarded as a little too nice to be taken seriously. No attacking midfielder has made as many interceptions as Dele Alli this season, with Érik Lamela joint-third, and no striker has won the ball as often as Harry Kane, which gives some indication of how high up Spurs look to regain possession.

That requires great fitness, which was also a characteristic of Bielsa’s side. “Newell’s were like a tractor that would shatter all opposition,” said the former Boca Juniors defender Juan Simón. “That team would suffocate you: that was the Bielsa touch, adding mad pressing to Newell’s existing football style. After facing them, you’d go back to the dressing room feeling that you were going to pass out, that they had made you run as never before.”

Brad Friedel said that in two decades of football he’d never worked with a coach who placed such an emphasis on conditioning as Pochettino. Where he departs from Bielsa, who has always had a tendency to drive players too hard, is in modifying the workload so players aren’t overwhelmed by the latter stages of a season.

The benefits of that are seen not only in Spurs’ fitness but in the lack of muscular injuries they’ve suffered this season. That in turn allows for a greater consistency of selection, making the pressing slicker. A virtuous circle has been created. It’s one inspired by Bielsa, but perhaps improved upon by Pochettino.

How Mauricio Pochettino gave Tottenham the Premier League’s best defence | Jonathan Wilson

How Mauricio Pochettino gave Tottenham the Premier League’s best defence
Tottenham’s pressing game has been cunningly adjusted by Pochettino and the manager’s deployment of Eric Dier as a central midfielder who can drop into the backline has been key their success
Jonathan Wilson

Tottenham have the best defensive record in the Premier League. It’s not a sentence we’re used to hearing. Not since 1951 have Spurs finished a campaign with the best defensive record of the division they’ve been in. It’s not the Spurs way. They’re supposed to be about moments of occasional attacking genius set against a background of general flakiness. Not any more.

It’s Tottenham’s pressing that really stands out. They perhaps don’t push quite as high or with such relentlessness as Mauricio Pochettino’s Southampton, but that’s part of his maturation as a manager. In previous years his sides have tended to dip in the latter part of the season, but that dip has become less and less pronounced as he has adapted to the demands of the Premier League. The pressing is more controlled now, and if anything seems even more effective.

Pochettino’s inspiration is clear, the parallels between the Newell’s Old Boys side in which he came of age as a central defender and this Spurs obvious. “When we won the titles, and reached the final of the Copa Libertadores [in 1992], we were very similar to the squad that we have now,” Pochettino said this month. “In terms of the average age of the squad, and in the balance between younger and experienced players. There were very good youngsters – like me – and very good experienced players. A similar balance, a similar project.”

Youth is important, if only because young players tended to be more biddable and less cynical than more seasoned players, more willing to follow a manager’s commands.

Pochettino was 13 when he first met Marcelo Bielsa, who at the time had just joined Newell’s as youth co-ordinator. Bielsa, terrified of flying and meticulous as ever, had divided Argentina into 70 sections and, believing talent from the interior was often overlooked, was determined to drive to each of them in his Fiat 147 to search for players. Pochettino’s home town of Murphy – population 3,500, including the parents of the future Southampton goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga – was one of his shorter trips, being located, like Rosario where Newell’s are based, in Santa Fe province, but it was 2am by the time Bielsa turned up. He looked at the sleeping boy’s legs, declared him a footballer and signed him on the spot. Five years later, Bielsa replaced José Yudica as coach and Pochettino was elevated to the first team.

The influence of Marcelo Bielsa, who signed Mauricio Pochettino for Newell’s Old Boys, is apparent in the way Spurs play. Bielsa is here coaching Chile in 2009. Photograph: Albeiro Lopera/Reuters

By 1992 the style had evolved. Juan Manuel Llop, who had been regarded as a right-back who could play in the centre, was shifted into central midfield, with a brief to drop back and become an extra centre-back when the two full-backs were drawn forwards. That was a 3-4-3 rather than Tottenham’s 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 hybrid, but the similarity between Llop’s role and that of Eric Dier, the way a solid base was constructed as a platform for the press, is clear.

Although Pochettino has begun to rotate the full-backs, he has kept the heart of his defence stable. Jan Vertonghen’s knee injury has forced a change but before that, he and Toby Alderweireld had started together in the first 23 league games of the season. Kevin Wimmer has started the three matches since Vertonghen’s injury, becoming only the third centre-back used by Spurs this season; the contrast to 2007-08 when they used nine different central defenders is telling.

In 21 of those games, they had Dier sitting just in front of them. That relationship is key. Vertonghen and Alderweireld play at full-back for Belgium; they may prefer operating centrally but they are capable and not unused to moving wide. Dier can then drop back between them as a de facto third centre-back – at Watford in December, in fact, the trio started as a back three to combat Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo.

That capacity to switch to a back three during games in turn gives the full-backs licence to push on, which is useful from an attacking point of view in that it allows them to offer creative width but it’s also an advantage from a defensive point of view, facilitating the press high up the pitch.

The effectiveness of that can be seen in a number of statistics. Tottenham make the sixth-most tackles per game in the Premier League, but what’s significant about that is that of the five teams who tackle more than they do, only Liverpool have had more possession this season, while three are in the bottom four for possession (and, obviously, there is a correlation between not having the ball – low possession – and a high tackle rate to try to win it back).

Spurs also make more fouls per game than anybody else – 12.7 per game – evidence of how far they’ve come from the old days of being regarded as a little too nice to be taken seriously. No attacking midfielder has made as many interceptions as Dele Alli this season, with Érik Lamela joint-third, and no striker has won the ball as often as Harry Kane, which gives some indication of how high up Spurs look to regain possession.

That requires great fitness, which was also a characteristic of Bielsa’s side. “Newell’s were like a tractor that would shatter all opposition,” said the former Boca Juniors defender Juan Simón. “That team would suffocate you: that was the Bielsa touch, adding mad pressing to Newell’s existing football style. After facing them, you’d go back to the dressing room feeling that you were going to pass out, that they had made you run as never before.”

Brad Friedel said that in two decades of football he’d never worked with a coach who placed such an emphasis on conditioning as Pochettino. Where he departs from Bielsa, who has always had a tendency to drive players too hard, is in modifying the workload so players aren’t overwhelmed by the latter stages of a season.

The benefits of that are seen not only in Spurs’ fitness but in the lack of muscular injuries they’ve suffered this season. That in turn allows for a greater consistency of selection, making the pressing slicker. A virtuous circle has been created. It’s one inspired by Bielsa, but perhaps improved upon by Pochettino.

How Mauricio Pochettino gave Tottenham the Premier League’s best defence | Jonathan Wilson

He has a new book coming out in Aug this year about football in Argentina, called Angels With Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina. Can't wait, apparently has a big section on Bielsa, wonder if he is rapidly updating it to include Poch given what he is doing now.

He has a new book coming out in Aug this year about football in Argentina, called Angels With Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina. Can't wait, apparently has a big section on Bielsa, wonder if he is rapidly updating it to include Poch given what he is doing now.

Can't wait to get this... Looking at which teams are right now the most 'revolutionary' in the way they play the game it's hard to not see the Argentinian/Bielsa influence as a huge part of it. Berizzo at Celta (played under Bielsa), Simeone at Atletico (played under Bielsa), Sampaoli with Chile (worked with Bielsa), Pochettino with us (played under Bielsa at several clubs). And then there's the trickle-down effect of managers like Guardiola using several of the Bielsa foundations in his own teams.

Someone try and create a song for Pochettino to My Way by Sinatra. I remember the Pavlyuchenko one being hilarious.

Yeah I agree but without it the chant is easier to continue on.

Definitely, I was on the same bus from the video, it was sung consistently for the whole 15-20 min journey more or less.

Some on Twitter are having a go because it's "not an original chant", but It's 2016 and original content is like rocking horse shit. The fans are ALL on board with the manager for the first time in forever. It needs to be celebrated.

Back
Top Bottom