Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

DeiO7P8.gif

I never implied you said Tim was better than MP. Just pointing out that you cannot criticise one without criticising the other.

Tim had a lot of faults, but he had only been a manger since December 2013...people claiming that because he had been at the club, that he has an advantage over Pochettino (who has been a manager for 6 years at three different clubs) is astonishing. Not aimed at you, but you are comparinf faults here.

Tim had tactical naivety...not really hard to understand why is it.
Poch also has tactical naivety but Im less inclined to make excuses for a fairly experienced manager...he must have managed 150 players by now, at La Liga and PL level.

What Tim has, that Poch does not is the ability to motivate players...not all, but at the very least, the ones he wants.

People slated him for rooting out the bad apples publically. Well Poch has quite publically dropped his bad apples yet the first team looks jaded and uninterested to be honest.

I said it before, but the fact that there is a genuine comparison going on here shows that we havent really made any progress..

Tim never had a full season. He went out of both cups in his first games and had 2 EL ties.
We don't know where Tim would have got us over a whole season, juggling EL and LC games.

..like here..no we dont know, but what we do know is that Poch did a fairly crap job of juggling the games, and it caught up to us and smacked us in the face.
He mocked Chelsea for complaining about fixture pile up, then when we crashed out, used the excuse himself.

We have no idea where Sherwood would have taken us, but right now, I am no more confident that Poch will still be here next Christmas, given our targets for the season as confirmed by him, the fact we are not going to sign a utopian squad for him, Levy's trigger finger, and Pochs apparent inability to grow as a manager, backed up by Saints fans concerns last year.

Last edited:
Not sure that was Pochettino, as much as club turnover already decided upon. I think Stambouli and Fazio might be second choices he settled for after we couldn't do as he asked, but for the rest, I think they were signings he didn't have choice over.
You're the first person I've seen on here to be any less than definite about those two signings. Everyone else on here KNOWS FOR A FACT that those players were second choices.
Isn't it possible that Poch wanted these players and they were his choices? Did he want Ramirez and Osvaldo at Southampton? Can he spot a player or not?

I think some people on here might get more out of following Spurs if they actually went to some matches. QPR away and Villa away were brilliant fun, as was the Emirates and many more matches perceived to have been rubbish

Ahh, so if you are drunk and having a laugh at the matches, Poch should be let off the hook for failing his objectives and playing shit football .If we end up 12th, but you had a right old laugh travelling to all the away games with your buddies, its fine.

This is getting beyond AVB levels of excusing now.

Last edited:
You're the first person I've seen on here to be any less than definite about those two signings. Everyone else on here KNOWS FOR A FACT that those players were second choices.
Isn't it possible that Poch wanted these players and they were his choices? Did he want Ramirez and Osvaldo at Southampton? Can he spot a player or not?
He wanted Mussachio and Schneiderlin. Confirmed by Ben Pearce and Michael Bridges. Think Bridges had quotes on both.

If I remember correctly, I believe Villarreal asked for 20-30m for Mussachio. Pretty sure Southampton is also asking a similar price for Schneiderlin. Without any 80m sale, Poch will be dreaming if he actually think Levy will spend so much. This is not Man City. He should be more than satisfied if he actually get 1 20-30m player this summer.

Well Mussachio has hardly played this season and is out with a broken leg probably until November following his latest injury. He's probably a better player for Poch's system than Fazio because he's a midfielder turned defender and so more comfortable in higher areas of the pitch, but in terms of pure defensive ability when played in a conventional back 4 (i.e. not high pressing) then Fazio is probably the better defender. Fazio looks as bad now as Terry did in AVB's stint at Chelsea - not because he's a bad defender but because he's not used to being in a heavily exposed unit.

I've said it many times but the way we play means that opponents get much better quality chances against us than we do against them. When we get hit on the counter there's so much space between our defensive players you could drive a monster truck through it.

Ahh, so if you are drunk and having a laugh at the matches, Poch should be let off the hook for failing his objectives and playing shit football .If we end up 12th, but you had a right old laugh travelling to all the away games with your buddies, its fine.

'The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It's nothing of the kind. The game is about having a good old laugh"

We don't know. And never will. What does on off-the-pitch isn't something we get a good look at. I don't think Pochettino needs to have that skill to a massive degree. That's what recruiting/scouting departments are for. We were under resourced in that area as well.

I don't think either of those two guys were first choice. But I don't know who did the suggesting and who did the approving.

Who said I was drunk you judgemental prick

If you accept that, fine. I've no idea who those folk are. If I've not seen Poch say it, or there's no quotes, I'm keeping my counsel.
Then you can never believe anything, basically, as he doesn't tend to be a mouthy manager like a Tim, Arry etc.

Ben Pearce is a journo based in Tottenham who has the trust of the club, who they go through for certain things. Bridge is now a SSN presenter but used to be behind the scenes and I think does the official Spurs annual.

Last edited:
Burnley at home impressed you as much as Chelsea at home?
Each to their own on that one to be honest...
Well if you're using Chelsea at home as a marker then no game will look good in comparison. I agree with most of what you say about Poch but there have been plenty of good performances/entertaining games this season. Not so much since Woolwich at home though.

Then you can never believe anything, basically, as he doesn't tend to be a mouthy manager like a Tim, Arry etc.

Ben Pearce is a journo based in Tottenham who has the trust of the club, who they go through for certain things. Bridge is now a SSN presenter but used to be behind the scenes and I think does the official Spurs annual.
If Levy came out and said that they were the first choice signings you wouldn't believe him.

Sometimes people need to suspend their confirmation bias.

Huh? What confirmation bias? Why would I not believe Levy? Not that that is a viable example anyway as Levy never discusses that shit in public.
People like to believe that which aligns itself to their pre-held opinion.

So if you dont think Pochettino would possibly have identified those players as first choice targets, and some pseudo-respected-journo-cum-ITK suggests the same, the natural human response is to believe it more readily.

Back
Top Bottom