Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You google searched the game. I watched all 90 minutes of it.
If you want to google search it, look up how much possession, shots, shots on target etc they had.
They spent most of the game attacking down our right side whilst Doherty was stood on the halfway line looking confused about what to do.
They also had a goal ruled out for a very unfair handball. This game demonstrated that Doherty is not a good defender. If we play a team where defending is required (IE City, Liverpool, Chelsea) then we're better off with Royal who will stay back, make tackles and clear the ball.
If we're playing in the opposition half, swap them.

I’m not sure I’d call Doherty a good player; he’s had some good games and he’s had some really poor ones, but at the moment I think he’s the best option at RWB. He’s probably ok if we’re aiming for middle of the table or lower, but we need better for top four. Personally I’d stick with him until the end of the season, but it’s possibly the position that its most important to upgrade on over the summer.
I’ve given Emerson a fair crack I think and watched him with an open mind, but I’m just not seeing anything there so I have no issue if he goes and Doherty stays as backup. In an ideal world they’d both get replaced, but I doubt that will happen.

Back
Top Bottom