Match officials: Bent, incompetent or just trying to do their best.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was keen for VAR to come in before it did, but it was obvious straight away it was a mistake. All it did was compound any previous mistakes by involving more people.

The thing I notice more than anything with VAR is that when you watch a match where it isn’t involved then you don’t miss it. I think that tells the real story. It’s just over complicating the officiating of the game for minimal improvement.

I don't know mate.

I'd prefer to try changing a few of the people first before getting rid of it. Howard Webb has made brutal mess of everything. Let someone els have a go first. And also, this is the best league in the world, let's recruit the best refs from all over. Fuck knows our refs are off earning money in the ME from people that own clubs in the premier league. IMO as soon as they get paid for contract work by an owner of any club they should be immediately disqualified from reffing games here.

As for that Coventry 'offside' goal, I'd love to see a Panorama style investigation where they used the same equipment and proved that 2 'definitive' photos could be produced, one that would show offside and another that would show onside.

I don't know mate.

I'd prefer to try changing a few of the people first before getting rid of it. Howard Webb has made brutal mess of everything. Let someone els have a go first. And also, this is the best league in the world, let's recruit the best refs from all over. Fuck knows our refs are off earning money in the ME from people that own clubs in the premier league. IMO as soon as they get paid for contract work by an owner of any club they should be immediately disqualified from reffing games here.

This is an interesting thread of what went on beforehand. Someone isn’t telling the truth. I’ve a feeling I know who.

View: https://x.com/dtathletic/status/1782161097862058223?s=46

Why is everyone talking about this decision when the same officials literally gave the handball for the penalty on Wan Bisaka? 😆

Yeah we know Coventry were hard done by and would have completed a great underdog story but offside is offside, we gotta deal with it.
But theres no clear evidence he was offside is there

I don't buy into the argument that you need a margin of error in an offside call. If you can automate it like goal line technology it works better to take away the subjectivity completely and there is no need for VAR.

The less VAR the better. If officials are supporting clubs in the bottom three and taking gifts from club owners in the middle east it is more of a problem.

People are blasting Nottingham Forest for their statement but it just because they dislike the statement.

I don't buy into the argument that you need a margin of error in an offside call. If you can automate it like goal line technology it works better to take away the subjectivity completely and there is no need for VAR.

The less VAR the better. If officials are supporting clubs in the bottom three and taking gifts from club owners in the middle east it is more of a problem.

People are blasting Nottingham Forest for their statement but it just because they dislike the statement.
it’s about time pgmol we’re called out, they keep getting decisions wrong or are not consistent and it’s costing teams points. Forest have had several costly decisions go against them. So if they are relegated i’m sure the soft apology they get will be of some comfort. My hole.
Too much at stake financially for clubs these days for these kind of thing being wrong. At least years ago if the ref didn’t see it or called it wrong that was it. The var is meant to at least back them up when they cannot see or miss something.

Why is it that var takes 600 seconds to check someone’s ball hair wasn’t offside
The wind can cause havoc with one's hair.

Fly Away Hair GIF

I noted it at the time, but when they realised the audio of the fuck up v Dippers, the officials kept going on about finding the 'kick point'.

That's immediately wrong surely?

I see the 'kick point' being several frames earlier than the ball leaving the foot.

It's all guesswork.

I would love to go back to pre var days where refs and linesmen made all decisions definitively...then at least we know there will be human error which we're all used to...waiting before you can celebrate a goal which is given offside because someone has a slightly longer nose..apologies to Rashford..
The game has lost so much of its spontaneity....

Back
Top Bottom