Match officials: Bent, incompetent or just trying to do their best.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, actually under the law Gallagher should be cautioned but I guess the ref used discretion.

I'm just pointing out the difference because Gallagher didn't go directly into the crowd where as Disasi did.

If it’s a law they shouldn’t be using discretion. You use discretion for one, you are discriminating against another. But more to the point, we’ve seen all season these officials aren’t good enough to use discretion without being blatantly inconsistent.

If it’s a law they shouldn’t be using discretion. You use discretion for one, you are discriminating against another. But more to the point, we’ve seen all season these officials aren’t good enough to use discretion without being blatantly inconsistent.

The problem with laws is that they're never as black and white when they're put into practice, there's so many grey areas in football that if you apply the law to them they're either going to be too strict or too lenient.

Like how are you meant to apply a rules on the handball law when no-one can actually work out what it is for example?

People have been campaigning for consistency for years, it's just never going to happen because every ref sees the game differently and applies context to each match.

As for this incident though, Gallagher by the letter of the law should have been booked but I hate it when players are booked for showing some passion with their fans, but that's just me but in this context it's clear to see the difference why Gallagher wasn't booked and Disasi was.

The problem with laws is that they're never as black and white when they're put into practice, there's so many grey areas in football that if you apply the law to them they're either going to be too strict or too lenient.

Like how are you meant to apply a rules on the handball law when no-one can actually work out what it is for example?

People have been campaigning for consistency for years, it's just never going to happen because every ref sees the game differently and applies context to each match.

As for this incident though, Gallagher by the letter of the law should have been booked but I hate it when players are booked for showing some passion with their fans, but that's just me but in this context it's clear to see the difference why Gallagher wasn't booked and Disasi was.

I didn’t want Sarr booked for it either.

The laws are written to leave grey areas in them or they are written badly enough that they leave so much space for grey areas.

I didn’t want Sarr booked for it either.

The laws are written to leave grey areas in them or they are written badly enough that they leave so much space for grey areas.

I don't think there is, football has a million different random events and moves too quick to the point where it's impossible to have standard rules. The handball rule is a perfect example - everyone has their own interpretation of the law yet no-one seems to be able to say what the rule actually is...you'll find the same for fouls, yellow cards, red cards etc...

I don't think there is, football has a million different random events and moves too quick to the point where it's impossible to have standard rules. The handball rule is a perfect example - everyone has their own interpretation of the law yet no-one seems to be able to say what the rule actually is...you'll find the same for fouls, yellow cards, red cards etc...

Handball used to be so much more simple before they messed with it

Waffle

Handball used to be much simpler. They tweaked it and tweaked it again and now nobody has a clue what the rule is.

The handball rules have always been discussed since way back when and they've always changed it to keep up with the game because players are ever finding way to exploit it, this was in 2005 for God's sake:

What has changed was the digital era and the introduction of VAR and the over scrutiny of handball laws and those sort of controversial/subjective incidents and such

We're now at a stage now where people spend every minute of their day scrutinising, comparing to other incidents and making false equivalencies to the point where they're obsessed with the idea of conspiracies.

The handball rules have always been discussed since way back when and they've always changed it to keep up with the game because players are ever finding way to exploit it, this was in 2005 for God's sake:

What has changed was the digital era and the introduction of VAR and the over scrutiny of handball laws and those sort of controversial/subjective incidents and such

We're now at a stage now where people spend every minute of their day scrutinising, comparing to other incidents and making false equivalencies to the point where they're obsessed with the idea of conspiracies.

Waffle

A blue card for a goalkeeper will force teams to choose between putting an outfield player in goal or making a permanent substitution under planned new sin-bin trials. (Telegraph

Back
Top Bottom