Match officials: Bent, incompetent or just trying to do their best.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you were to pick one game from 2023 and actually think the officials including VAR were possibly taking the brown envelope then the game v Brighton at home would surely be it,yes there have been plenty of games with real balls ups but this one was just ridiculous and went completely in favour of Spurs,I think I've watched it half a dozen times now and still really not sure if it was just complete incompetence from every single official or a colluded match fix of mammoth proportions.

What's worse is that all of those officials are still in their jobs so at some point will be up for another envelope and perhaps Spurs will be on the wrong end of it.

I just want the whole of VAR gone,as long as humans are involved in the decision making then there's no real point of it at all,so summing up my answer to the original question is I'm certain match officials have been bribed by betting syndicates most probably and that's from top to bottom,still a quick I'm sorry email from Webb cures all and nothing needs to change.

I see where you are coming from but would Villa's disallowed goal have stood incorrectly yesterday if they were waiting for the official to ask them?

My honest feeling about that call was that he felt Everton deserved a goal so he allowed a challenge that was obviously a foul to stand.

Compare that with the yellow Udogie got and you see that the officials either don't know a consistent way to interpret the laws or they don't really have any intention of being consistent.
On your first point, that's where the Captain's challenge comes in. We challenge, VAR reviews, same result, we don't lose a challenge.

It would go some way to removing the players surrounding the ref rubbish as well, they'd surround their own Captain instead, discussing whether to challenge or not.

I don't think we'll ever see a cure to all the ills in Football officiating, but we need to start somewhere and the best place, as I see it, is addressing the issues that are killing the spectacle of the game.

Give the authority back to the refs properly rather than as a soundbite, VAR NOT to be used unless prompted by the ref or challenge.
Limit the amount of challenges for each team. I'd go exactly the same as Cricket with 3.
Limit the VAR check time, from when the ref asks or the challenge is formerly made, to say 1 minute. Clear directive that it is "Umpire's call" unless conclusively proven wrong in that 1 minute window.
Make it clear that the only player allowed to approach the ref with a challenge is the Captain. Any other player hounding the ref is to be booked. You remove the ambiguity you get with the likes of the City call where he made a mistake. If the ref cocks up, the Captain can challenge the call, the rest of his team can mob him, not the ref.

I honestly think that with these starting points, we'd immediately see an improvement to the flow of the game, we'd see less pressure exerted on refs and, after a few cards dished out to those players who think they're above that, we'd see a lot more respect for the ref on the pitch.

Make it the rule, Captains only to approach the ref to challenge a decision, NO EXCEPTIONS. No interpretation required there, it's Black and White.

On your first point, that's where the Captain's challenge comes in. We challenge, VAR reviews, same result, we don't lose a challenge.

It would go some way to removing the players surrounding the ref rubbish as well, they'd surround their own Captain instead, discussing whether to challenge or not.

I don't think we'll ever see a cure to all the ills in Football officiating, but we need to start somewhere and the best place, as I see it, is addressing the issues that are killing the spectacle of the game.

Give the authority back to the refs properly rather than as a soundbite, VAR NOT to be used unless prompted by the ref or challenge.
Limit the amount of challenges for each team. I'd go exactly the same as Cricket with 3.
Limit the VAR check time, from when the ref asks or the challenge is formerly made, to say 1 minute. Clear directive that it is "Umpire's call" unless conclusively proven wrong in that 1 minute window.
Make it clear that the only player allowed to approach the ref with a challenge is the Captain. Any other player hounding the ref is to be booked. You remove the ambiguity you get with the likes of the City call where he made a mistake. If the ref cocks up, the Captain can challenge the call, the rest of his team can mob him, not the ref.

I honestly think that with these starting points, we'd immediately see an improvement to the flow of the game, we'd see less pressure exerted on refs and, after a few cards dished out to those players who think they're above that, we'd see a lot more respect for the ref on the pitch.

Make it the rule, Captains only to approach the ref to challenge a decision, NO EXCEPTIONS. No interpretation required there, it's Black and White.
Thought the rule was already in. Booking for surrounding the ref

GCdwQFZXMAAbZz7

No fucking doubt either was a disgraceful decision.

No other way to explain the same ref seeing the same challenge and sending a ref to give one a red and a pen but the other giving a yellow himself.

Club need to stop being pussies about it a request he doesn't get our games.

he has fucked over every team close to Liverpool in the table and he's not allowed to ref Liverpool because he's a compromised in their favour

Apologies are meaningless

Not with these refs. If they have ever been forced into admitting a mistake in our favour, they have made sure to rectify it the next game. Everton felt robbed somehow, so they saw everything we did and decided Dunk was somehow a fucking yellow.

Npt sure they have been willing to admit any mistakes going against us since Liverpool, even though there have been fucking loads.

I said this the other day and some numpty said I was being stupid.

They either get raw feed without commentary or they get the main broadcaster match feed. It's one of the two and nobody seems to want to ask or say.

The Romero incident at Chelsea seemed to have gone unnoticed until Neville mentioned it about 20 times. Then after about ten mins of looking at the offside then they went to the Romero incident. It could be purely coincidental of course but it makes you wonder.
They deal with incidents in chronological order. So if the player is offside, Romero's foul wouldn't be considered at all. So it's pointless looking at it until the offside is cleared.

Although I do notice sometimes they do it in reverse chronological order, I guess it depends on the VAR guy. They clear the goal, then go back and check for fouls in the build up.

Apologies are meaningless
I don't think so, I think it definitely sets up a dynamic where refs need to make up or atone for something they've agreed was a wrong previously.

Even if it didn't I'd love some. It would feel like vindication from the refs constantly gaslighting us.

The more I look at the Dunk challenge last night the more I think its way worse than the Romero one, Watch them both again. Romero is focused entirely on the ball, contacts the ball and the follow through goes into the Chelsea plays leg about shin high.

Dunk flies in looking at Kulu not the ball with an expression that he is going in to do Kulu on his face.
Doesn't get any of the ball and hits Kulu about the same height that Romero and Biss saw red for.

Have we even had a comment on Sky on refs watch about this?

It's bent as fuck. Ange needs to start kicking up a stink its the only way the PGMOL pays any attention. You only have to look at Klopp and lego head to see the proof.

Not with these refs. If they have ever been forced into admitting a mistake in our favour, they have made sure to rectify it the next game. Everton felt robbed somehow, so they saw everything we did and decided Dunk was somehow a fucking yellow.

Npt sure they have been willing to admit any mistakes going against us since Liverpool, even though there have been fucking loads.
Amazed people still can't see this

No other way to explain the same ref seeing the same challenge and sending a ref to give one a red and a pen but the other giving a yellow himself.

Club need to stop being pussies about it a request he doesn't get our games.

he has fucked over every team close to Liverpool in the table and he's not allowed to ref Liverpool because he's a compromised in their favour
Is this rumour that he is a Liverpool fan true or just social media? Because if he's a Liverpool fan for real he is totally compromised and its a fucking joke if he is even allowed to ref in the prem at all for obvious reasons.

Getting rid of it doesn't solve the problem it just gives them more excuses back.

It's about sorting the PGMOL and laws of the game out. VAR is just a tool. It's like blaming the cement mixer if your builder does a shit job on your driveway.
I agree but as VAR is not being used with any consistency at all. And mistakes and apologies are being issued weekly I'd rather they just sacked it off and we can all enjoy the spontaneity of football again without having to sit around for minutes on end waiting for the cunts to only get the decision wrong anyway.

Back
Top Bottom