Match officials: Bent, incompetent or just trying to do their best.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you think that corruption lies at the heart of the problem, you have to ask the question "who benefits?".

Given that fans of ALL clubs feel that they are especially hard done by, the only remaining answer must be the referees themselves, suggesting some sort of a secret cabal that would presumably involve betting.

That seems highly unlikely although I'm not ruling out the possibility of individual corruption. I just doubt it's an organised conspiracy.

Bear in mind that fans in Spain and elsewhere I presume also shake their angry fists at the state of refereeing in their countries, is this therefore an international cabal or are they all operating separately?

Incompetence would seem the most probable explanation.
AdobeStock_140768127-1024x1024.jpg

Gary O'Neil warns officials over refereeing Wolves after Anthony Taylor is latest to be dropped​

Anthony Taylor becomes latest referee to drop down to EFL following mistake against Wolves; erroneous penalty was given against Hee-Chan Hwang in 2-2 draw against Newcastle last weekend; Wolves travel to winless Sheff Utd on Saturday

I was under the impression that Anthony Taylor was considered the top English referee, what happened?

:mourhandlaugh:

Personally I think they get a bad rap whilst trying to do a difficult job.
There's no arguing with that. The problem is that *statistically* they fuck up more with some teams than with others and we aren't very high on the list of grateful recipients. Livarpool are, though. So are united. Weird.

And, to be clear, I don't care if it's conspiracy, individual corruption or incompetence. It's just fucking annoying and unfair.

Last edited:
Personally I think they get a bad rap whilst trying to do a difficult job.
Generally, I agree with this assessment.

However, I don't think they've been doing themselves any favors with their application of VAR technology and their habit of getting the call wrong, seemingly to save the face of the on-field referee and 'his' initial, split-second decision (The Thin Black Line).

Everyone makes mistakes, and this technology was developed and applied to help correct human-error, but the technology is useless if it is being sabotaged/monkey-wrenched by those tasked with its deployment.

Got a friend who was fairly high up the Ref ladder and he attended some kind of referee convention a while back and he spoke to Graham Poll who said
" I will book or send off anyone I don't like because I can"
There ya go, out of the horses mouth.
My friend was also gobsmacked by hearing this as he is so straight laced its unreal.
However todays blunders (IMO) are caused by the Ref being lazy and relying on VAR to get it right for them.

Refs should be fined and publicly chastised for blatant fuck-ups. The only call that VAR makes on their own is on/off side and it has to be watched in normal speed.

If it's handball, violent conduct, penalty, etc the on-field ref goes to the screen and sees the replay in normal speed, up to 5x. After that it is obviously not clear & obvious and match should continue.

A lot of people really believe the majority of refs are sneakily against us. Why do they not like us?
Outside of Spurs sites they think we have come off very well from referee decisions this season so far.
It is the echo chamber we live in.

Clear and obvious errors in our favour
1. Bruno Fernandes penalty not given
2. Liverpool goal
3. Man City last minute when game called back
4. Romero not sent off yesterday

And no decisions really going going badly against us including
1. Romero rightly sent off versus Chelsea
2. Cash should only be a yellow etc.
3. Woolwich challenge against keeper correctly yellow

Outside of Spurs sites they think we have come off very well from referee decisions this season so far.
It is the echo chamber we live in.

Clear and obvious errors in our favour
1. Bruno Fernandes penalty not given
2. Liverpool goal
3. Man City last minute when game called back
4. Romero not sent off yesterday

And no decisions really going going badly against us including
1. Romero rightly sent off versus Chelsea
2. Cash should only be a yellow etc.
3. Woolwich challenge against keeper correctly yellow
Cash was a straight red all day long no earthly attempt to get the ball late and just took bentucur out. Cash is known for this straight red if it happened to a Liverpool player or Woolwich player they still be raising hell in six months time.

Cash was a straight red all day long no earthly attempt to get the ball late and just took bentucur out. Cash is known for this straight red if it happened to a Liverpool player or Woolwich player they still be raising hell in six months time.
I thought it was one of the dirtiest and most dangerous tackles I've seen in a long time. Hard to believe he didn't get a straight red...

I think it would be pretty naive to think that clubs like Chelsea and City wouldn't try to corrupt officials - they openly push every other competition rule set to absolute breaking point

I think it would be pretty naive to think that clubs like Chelsea and City wouldn't try to corrupt officials - they openly push every other competition rule set to absolute breaking point
Wait until we're playing teams from the UAE....endless money...

It's simple. Limit VAR to goal check and absolutely obvious mistakes. This would include obvious offsides but no more toenails. Also managers should have one challenge if they think the decision was so outrageous. Wolves would need 2 challenges !!
No more lines, use eyes only !!

Last edited:
At this point I’m open minded to all of the above.

The officials quoted about wanting to help Leicester win was fucked up.

I struggle a lot with the fact they haven’t been able to make the laws more objective and the way each game has a call that’s inconsistent with other games.

The handball law is a joke atm.

They need to get a grip on it because clubs are openly threatening and accusing them and going unpunished. They could lose all control if they aren’t careful

It's simple. Limit VAR to goal check and absolutely obvious mistakes. This would include obvious offsides but no more toenails. Also managers should have one challenge if they think the decision was so outrageous. Wolves would need 2 challenges !!
Not a bad idea..

At this point I’m open minded to all of the above.

The officials quoted about wanting to help Leicester win was fucked up.

I struggle a lot with the fact they haven’t been able to make the laws more objective and the way each game has a call that’s inconsistent with other games.

The handball law is a joke atm.

They need to get a grip on it because clubs are openly threatening and accusing them and going unpunished. They could lose all control if they aren’t careful
It's a joke to expect players to maintain balance and power jumping around with their arms behind their back like a bunch of manic pogo sticks.

There's corruption in absolutely everything......even bloody charities.

It's naïve to think that there is no kind of influence or favour being sort by clubs over referees.

I think that they probably subconsciously favour Liverpool, Woolwich etc over other clubs, simply because they know if they give a duff call to one of them, all hell breaks loose from both the clubs and the vested interest media....which naturally makes them er on the side of caution with one of the media darlings.

When they fuck up against the likes of Wolves inan United's favour, there's not half as much fallout from the media so they are more likely to give decisions based on their 'gut feel' as it won't be as bad for them if they cock up in favour of a big club at the expense of a smaller club.

Back
Top Bottom