Lost: the spirit of Tottenham Hotspur.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham Hotspur. It's a grand old team to play for and it's a grand old team to see. That's how the song goes, anyway.

The club thrives. Partnerships are made with sporting and industrial giants around the world. Steady and reliable progress has been witnessed over a decade to the point we have reached now.

That desired status of perennial nearly-men.

We're in the hunt for top 4 - that fictional trophy that we berate our new neighbours for chasing - and out of the cups. We're in Europe - but not the kind of Europe we want to be in. There are, of course, the usual catalogue of reasons.

Player integration, then displacement. Managerial disorganisation and subsequent replacement. Director of Football - are we in or out? A pattern of questionable boardroom-level decisions.

But you saunter down Bill Nicholson way at five minutes to three o' clock on a Saturday - no, really - and it just ain't that cauldron of activity it used to be. Plenty of people in replica kits munching on burgers they'll regret ingesting in a few short hours but nary a cry of, "Yid Army!" to be heard. We just file in, having swiped our ENIC-approved Security Passes at the gates, shuffle along to our seats...

And hear that noisy South London lot (no, not them) making a racket as if they're pleased they finally got to use one of those trains - you know the ones...they go under the ground, as it were?
It's a shock. Away fans, of course, do give it more. But this lot seem genuinely pleased that they've turned up at all. As if they're not waiting to be entertained - they're here to enjoy themselves even if they get spanked.

The match kicks off. And we give it a few choruses of "Come On You Spurs" and "Oh When The Spurs" and even "Super Tottenham From The Lane." But it all seems inconsequential when that lot are just going absolutely bonkers for no reason for the first 6 minutes. And then - oh, look. A penalty.

And then...magically. Jason Puncheon fires it into the deep blue yonder. But the Palace fans go even more bananas. They don't let it get them down - the on-pitch action is barely an adjunct to what's already proving to be a great day out. And I'm left feeling like THAT'S what football is meant to be about: singing for the team you love, whether those in Spurs shirts provide a yawnfest, a decimation or a capitulation. But we let them insult us. We let them draw comparisons between N17 and the Death Star. And then it's half time. And I hear boos.

What happened to just singing because it was a joy and a privilege to support this grand old team? What happened to encouraging our beautiful boys in lilywhite to dare and therefore, to do? It all just faded because we had an anaemic performance on the pitch. No wonder the play is flat: the players and fans alike are crushed by the weight of expectation to the point where the most notable noise in 45 minutes of football is the boos of those behind me because we're not winning after the worst half of football this ground has seen in...well, not that long, really.

So we kick off again. And there it is - a goal. And we're happy to mug them off. We take the piss and have a right old laugh. They pause to take breath and we have a go at "You're not singing any more." Except they are. They're still having the same great time they were when they were even. The football's picked up from Spurs and the crowd is still as flat as it was before. The game ends 2-0. The Palace fans are still out singing us at the end. And I have a hard time believing that anyone in the crowd wearing lilywhite enjoyed that experienced as much as any Palace fan did.

In this difficult, fractured time the fanbase is being torn apart by divisive appointments and the mismanagement of various players for whom we have high hopes. Opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one - but it seems like right now, everyone wants theirs to be the prominent orifice in the room. That dissatisfaction has filtered through into the stands. It's like Year 9 chemistry - a broken fanbase + expectations = White Hart Lane on Saturday. We're those fans who sing when we're winning and who moan, boo, curse, scream and froth at the mouth as soon as things aren't perfect.

Tottenham may be a grand old team to play for and a grand old team to see but some denizens of the Lane are overlooking that fact. It seems like a crisp Saturday afternoon in January against London minnows is the perfect reason to turn up and sing up but instead, we were embarrassed by real fans giving everything for their players.

Thank God we've got some away games coming up.

I tend to agree with the sentiment but what i have noticed over the years is that newly promoted teams support is usually fantastic in the first season & then gradually wanes in subsequent seasons thereafter (if they stay up). Seen it with Stoke, Sunderland & Swansea to name but a few. The first year the Premier League is all a new experience for them with lots of new grounds to visit, thereafter they realise they are merely cannon fodder.

That said, i agree that the atmosphere at home games is extremely depressing these days. Three of us sitting in 44 (next to Palace) tried to join in/get things going up there but with no success whatsoever. I had to amuse myself by merely abusing the ones closest to me on a personal level.

Good post/article. Well written and pretty much sums up what most Spurs supporters are feeling right now about the Lane.

The problem I can personally speak of myself, is that a lot of my friends (Including me) who I would call the more vocal/hardcore passionate supporter avoid home games now and just stick to European/1882/away games.
Something would need to be done to tempt this type of supporter back. I know of only two things which would do this.

The creation of an 1882/singing section or the return of safe standing.

I have been having a chat with a mate of mine who is of the opinion that winning is all that matters. I said that I would sooner the exhilaration of a last gasp equaliser against Woolwich or Chelsea in a 4-4 match than a forgetful 2-0 win against Norwich. The atmosphere, the entertainment, that is what I love.

I know some will disagree, and I don't mind at all, I would sooner finish 5th having witnessed 6-4, 4-4 and 2-3 than the mind numbing, spirit sapping (for some) monotony of drab, and forgetful matches.....at least the stadium would be buzzing.

I have heard this topic of support being discussed on one of the podcast and in my opinion it purely comes down to demographics. A 40 year old man with a family and who is probably coming to the lane with his kids will not be screaming YID ARMY at the top of his voice.On the other hand the twenty to a lesser degree 30 year old something male, who is probably working class had a few before the game , coming down with some mates will probably be making more noise.

WHL is too expensive for many young people, who can barely afford to pay rent ect. Have a look a bayern munich subsidising the tickets for their away fans. What difference would it make to say ,I dunno put aside a few million to supress ticket prices?.

I have heard this topic of support being discussed on one of the podcast and in my opinion it purely comes down to demographics. A 40 year old man with a family and who is probably coming to the lane with his kids will not be screaming YID ARMY at the top of his voice.On the other hand the twenty to a lesser degree 30 year old something male, who is probably working class had a few before the game , coming down with some mates will probably be making more noise.

WHL is too expensive for many young people, who can barely afford to pay rent ect. Have a look a bayern munich subsidising the tickets for their away fans. What difference would it make to say ,I dunno put aside a few million to supress ticket prices?.

its not just the expense.. its a culmination of a few things, the popularity of football with the chattering classe's who can afford to go to football at the working class's expense. its having to buy your wilsons months in advance sometimes!. the clubs policy of sit down & shut up !, the old bill ready to nick you for saying boo!.. the bird behind you with the divvy boyfriend dressed like a cabin boy about to be rogered by the captain asking you to refrain from swearing!
& mainly its the alienation of the loud middle aged group of males who dont wear replica shirts & doesn't spend money in the ground or club shop that have over the last ten years thought fuck it!.. I aint giving these cunts my hard earned anymore that's made the atmosphere piss poor.

my next game will be benfica/poak away... the lane aint for me anymore.
I will always love spurs but its a terribly sad indictment of modern day sterile whl
that has lost its identity

I tend to agree with the sentiment but what i have noticed over the years is that newly promoted teams support is usually fantastic in the first season & then gradually wanes in subsequent seasons thereafter (if they stay up). Seen it with Stoke, Sunderland & Swansea to name but a few. The first year the Premier League is all a new experience for them with lots of new grounds to visit, thereafter they realise they are merely cannon fodder.

That said, i agree that the atmosphere at home games is extremely depressing these days. Three of us sitting in 44 (next to Palace) tried to join in/get things going up there but with no success whatsoever. I had to amuse myself by merely abusing the ones closest to me on a personal level.
Agree on the atmosphere but put into context everything this year. AVB's boring watching paint dry football, the media/police bullshit about the Yid Army chants for which they have not said sorry, the way stewards tell everyone to sit down every 5 seconds, the loss of Bale and now Defoe and introduction many new unknown players. There has been a lot of changes that have led to great worries and expectations and the crowd often seems to be nervous maybe in a year or so it might change. But most Spurs fan I know are very passionate so I am hopeful. COYS

its not just the expense.. its a culmination of a few things, the popularity of football with the chattering classe's who can afford to go to football at the working class's expense. its having to buy your wilsons months in advance sometimes!. the clubs policy of sit down & shut up !, the old bill ready to nick you for saying boo!.. the bird behind you with the divvy boyfriend dressed like a cabin boy about to be rogered by the captain asking you to refrain from swearing!
& mainly its the alienation of the loud middle aged group of males who dont wear replica shirts & doesn't spend money in the ground or club shop that have over the last ten years thought fuck it!.. I aint giving these cunts my hard earned anymore that's made the atmosphere piss poor.

Absolutely right, the last time I saw a home game on one of my trips home it was when we lost 4-2 to chelsea and there was no atmosphere at all, surrounded with people who couldnt look less like spurs fans, since then when I have come back I have seen the famous game at upton park last year and the elusive Pyro/Soldado open play goal this season, far more enjoyable, real fans I can identify with actually supporting their team

I will always love spurs but its a terribly sad indictment of modern day sterile whl
that has lost its identity

Agree with most of this however I would describe myself as very middle class but I'm still desperate to sing Loud and proud for 90 minutes.

Plenty of what you would describe as 'Woking class' people say around me in park lane lower are just as moany, quiet and miserable as anyone else.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that gravel voiced, blue collar 'cockerneys' seem to be the only people allowed to start chants in certain parts of the ground. As if hearing anyone with an ounce of elocution immediately makes people think that they aren't a 'real' fan. Reverse snobbery if you will.

Let's face it, how many of us downward inflect when talking to your plumber, builder or taxi driver? (assuming they are English)
I find myself completely involuntarily doing this at football.

Went a little OT there but my point is that I don't think 'class' has much to do with it. Anyone who can afford a season ticket at spurs is not what I would call traditionally working class anyway. The thousands of people living in poverty right outside the stadium however....

"Opinions are like arseholes – everyone’s got one – but it seems like right now, everyone wants theirs to be the prominent orifice in the room."

:roflmao: Spoken like a medic.

Great article mate, as this problem is IMO the single biggest problem that needs to be addressed. In fact, many people on here often say they have their opinions as to why the atmosphere is so flat, but say they don't want to get into it. Might could we use this thread to have a go?

I confess, I did not read the whole piece! But maybe with the increased expectation this season and people expecting a little more for their dollar. This has resulted in the (slight) reduction in the vocal support? That and the erratic/turbulent
first 2.5 months of the season! Or it could be due to something completely different to these things!!!!!!:confused:

:wall:

Agree with most of this however I would describe myself as very middle class but I'm still desperate to sing Loud and proud for 90 minutes.

Plenty of what you would describe as 'Woking class' people say around me in park lane lower are just as moany, quiet and miserable as anyone else.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that gravel voiced, blue collar 'cockerneys' seem to be the only people allowed to start chants in certain parts of the ground. As if hearing anyone with an ounce of elocution immediately makes people think that they aren't a 'real' fan. Reverse snobbery if you will.

Let's face it, how many of us downward inflect when talking to your plumber, builder or taxi driver? (assuming they are English)

Went a little OT there but my point is that I don't think 'class' has much to do with it. Anyone who can afford a season ticket at spurs is not what I would call traditionally working class anyway. The thousands of people living in poverty right outside the stadium however....
fair points jimmy,, maybe I overempahsized the working class when I should of really said the less well off
instead.. my dad took 4 of us to spurs & orient & he was far from rich! ... a dad couldn't do that now unless he was very fortunate financially..
as for the poor around the lane!.. who gives a fuck most are fucking goons nowadays. :wall:

Couldn't put it better myself. I am definitely working class and this season I have gone to see Spurs more times then I have ever done in the past and I used to live within an hours walk from the stadium, I now live a 3 day walk from the stadium. I missed one home game in December (the one against Suarez & co) and I still managed to get everyone decent Christmas presents. I'm sure the pricing does have something to do with it, but I think it's less to do with class and more to do with people wanting value for money.

Football clubs have worked tirelessly over the last decade or so to create a family friendly environment and I think that has played a massive part in the decline in the atmosphere across ALL stadiums, plus the allocation of blocks to the Prawn Sandwich connoisseur. There needs to be a healthier balance, where the club doesn't solely focus on how much money they can make from us, because I reckon if we get the atmosphere the Lane was so famous for back people would enjoy themselves more, no matter how the choose to support the club and when people are happy the tend to spend more. It somehow works in the Bundesliga, Greece, Turkey and in some cases Serie A, so why can't it work for the supposed 'Greatest League in the World'?

"Opinions are like arseholes – everyone’s got one – but it seems like right now, everyone wants theirs to be the prominent orifice in the room."

:roflmao: Spoken like a medic.

Great article mate, as this problem is IMO the single biggest problem that needs to be addressed. In fact, many people on here often say they have their opinions as to why the atmosphere is so flat, but say they don't want to get into it. Might could we use this thread to have a go?

Trouble is my man, the atmosphere problem lies with people who may not even know this board exists, the majority on here do care, thats why we are typing about Spurs all week on here, its the Stubhub tourists and moaners who are out of touch with reality that we can't actually get through to who are the problem

Reminds me of when @ Schoolboy'sOwnStuff Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said then when he first met he expected a different (presumably more upper class) accent because of my profession. But being originally working class I grew up with a much different, more "cockney" accent than I have now. I tend to switch between the two depending on the environment I'm in, and with close friends and family speak in a tone that's generally half way between the two. I do this to make myself feel more comfortable in whichever enviroment I'm in, but also to fit in with those around me. I've always felt when going to The Lane as if my normal or more work related accent would be regarded as unsuitable and people would look at me strangely at me so I tend to ham up the mockney a bit, sometimes intentionally, otherwise unintentionally. Been like this for years now and I feel I've been compelled to be that way by some of the people I have encountered.

Perhaps its more an issue I have created for myself. Who knows? Point is that it does seem a clichéd profile of fan has evolved and taken the place of perhaps the more grass roots fans.

Back
Top Bottom