Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s a literal fact that since ENIC took over we have 1 league cup

It’s a literal fact in that time Leicester have won a league and an FA Cup, try dress it up how you like they’ve been more successful in the time ENIC have been in charge.
Leicester have, quite rightly, won more than we have during the ENIC golden period.
Regardless of who won what before the wars etc, that is factual, Leicester are a more successful club than us over the past 22 years.

It’s a literal fact that since ENIC took over we have 1 league cup

It’s a literal fact in that time Leicester have won a league and an FA Cup, try dress it up how you like they’ve been more successful in the time ENIC have been in charge.
When Lenny says:
Before they took over we were still the 4th most successful club in silverware even after another prime wanker Sugar .
If that’s true, then now we are the 6th most successful club in silverware and only Man City and Chelsea have overtaken us.

Leicester have, quite rightly, won more than we have during the ENIC golden period.
Regardless of who won what before the wars etc, that is factual, Leicester are a more successful club than us over the past 22 years.
Sure - and since 1980 we are only as successful as Everton. Villa just behind.

We’re not some super club who expects to win trophies. Wayyyy above your station.

Hiring Frank Lampard when Naglesmann turns us down

Happy Well Done GIF by Top Talent

I think that it is important to add a bit of nuance to any discussion of trophies won. Any given trophy is essentially pure luck. Since ENIC have taken control of the club, Spurs have only won 1 trophy. They've been in finals that could have seen us win a few more than that, but in many instances, the randomness of the universe means we didn't win them. If Moussa Sissoko doesn't have the ball kicked directly at his arm for a ridiculous penalty, do we win that Champion's League final? In some part of the multiverse, we did. In this part, we didn't. But we've had chances at more than one trophy. Some of the clubs who have won a trophy underwent some significant financial collapse afterwards, and have never been close to anything since. Winning a pot and then being shit forever is not something I'd enjoy as much as consistently having the chance to win stuff, even if we don't actually win more because that's how the footballing gods decreed it.

So, while we have only won one trophy under ENIC, they have been a pretty significant positive. We've been consistently able to actually get into Europe, and compete against teams that most of the other 90 teams in the football pyramid see once in their lifetimes. We now have a budget that would allow us to consistently compete for multiple competitions every year.

That is definitely an achievement. It's not something that required the theft of wealth from a nation, it's not being done with anyone getting murdered as a dissident, and it's not something being done while leaving the club in crippling debt in the future. No, those achievements aren't trophies, but they are things that are important. We are not Newcastle or City. And that frankly is something that matters a lot.

However, while I very much prefer the devil I know to the devil I don't in terms of ownership, in terms of the current management of the club, specifically by the chairman and the board, I am rather unhappy. There is no planning of any kind for the current or future of the football team. We have worldclass stadium and training ground, one of the most consistently productive academies in English football, and the financial wealth to put a Champion's League quality football team on the pitch, every year. The pieces are there. They don't require unsustainable financial measures, the club does not need to be run at a loss, and we don't need an oil sheik, vulture capitalist, or oligarch to do it. We are good enough, right now, to do it all.

But we aren't. And that's because the board are frankly unprofessional in their approach to the management of the club. They are chasing star names for key positions rather than making choices to build a coherent organization that finds and develops young footballers who then make their way into a first team coached by professionals who understand modern football tactics, sport science, psychology, and the tools available to them to win football matches. We have all the same tools somewhere like Ajax, Benfica, or Dortmund have, or even Brentford if we wanted to go full mad science, plus we have literally hundreds of millions of pounds more annual revenue than any of them. We can field a European giant. But we keep appointing big name, win now dickheads who ruin the first team through their toxic personalities, or we hire key executives like a sporting director charged with elaborate financial crimes, due to a lack of due diligence and professionalism by the THFC board (everyone with even a basic knowledge of the sport had seen the deals being done by Juventus over the past decade that were sketchier than a Tory ethical review). They are the people who are supposed to be hiring the football experts who can make use of the legitimately excellent work done in other aspects of the club. And for the past few years they have consistently failed to make the correct decisions when that was literally their only job.

So, while I would not say I am some "ENIC OUT" type, I do feel that the chairman and the entire board need to be replaced immediately by people with a much better understanding of how to run a sports team. Immediately.

I think that it is important to add a bit of nuance to any discussion of trophies won. Any given trophy is essentially pure luck. Since ENIC have taken control of the club, Spurs have only won 1 trophy. They've been in finals that could have seen us win a few more than that, but in many instances, the randomness of the universe means we didn't win them. If Moussa Sissoko doesn't have the ball kicked directly at his arm for a ridiculous penalty, do we win that Champion's League final? In some part of the multiverse, we did. In this part, we didn't. But we've had chances at more than one trophy. Some of the clubs who have won a trophy underwent some significant financial collapse afterwards, and have never been close to anything since. Winning a pot and then being shit forever is not something I'd enjoy as much as consistently having the chance to win stuff, even if we don't actually win more because that's how the footballing gods decreed it.

So, while we have only won one trophy under ENIC, they have been a pretty significant positive. We've been consistently able to actually get into Europe, and compete against teams that most of the other 90 teams in the football pyramid see once in their lifetimes. We now have a budget that would allow us to consistently compete for multiple competitions every year.

That is definitely an achievement. It's not something that required the theft of wealth from a nation, it's not being done with anyone getting murdered as a dissident, and it's not something being done while leaving the club in crippling debt in the future. No, those achievements aren't trophies, but they are things that are important. We are not Newcastle or City. And that frankly is something that matters a lot.

However, while I very much prefer the devil I know to the devil I don't in terms of ownership, in terms of the current management of the club, specifically by the chairman and the board, I am rather unhappy. There is no planning of any kind for the current or future of the football team. We have worldclass stadium and training ground, one of the most consistently productive academies in English football, and the financial wealth to put a Champion's League quality football team on the pitch, every year. The pieces are there. They don't require unsustainable financial measures, the club does not need to be run at a loss, and we don't need an oil sheik, vulture capitalist, or oligarch to do it. We are good enough, right now, to do it all.

But we aren't. And that's because the board are frankly unprofessional in their approach to the management of the club. They are chasing star names for key positions rather than making choices to build a coherent organization that finds and develops young footballers who then make their way into a first team coached by professionals who understand modern football tactics, sport science, psychology, and the tools available to them to win football matches. We have all the same tools somewhere like Ajax, Benfica, or Dortmund have, or even Brentford if we wanted to go full mad science, plus we have literally hundreds of millions of pounds more annual revenue than any of them. We can field a European giant. But we keep appointing big name, win now dickheads who ruin the first team through their toxic personalities, or we hire key executives like a sporting director charged with elaborate financial crimes, due to a lack of due diligence and professionalism by the THFC board (everyone with even a basic knowledge of the sport had seen the deals being done by Juventus over the past decade that were sketchier than a Tory ethical review). They are the people who are supposed to be hiring the football experts who can make use of the legitimately excellent work done in other aspects of the club. And for the past few years they have consistently failed to make the correct decisions when that was literally their only job.

So, while I would not say I am some "ENIC OUT" type, I do feel that the chairman and the entire board need to be replaced immediately by people with a much better understanding of how to run a sports team. Immediately.
Well expressed.

There's no doubt that "Levy Out" has long been associated with a sort of impatient, ignorant, back-page focused, transfer-obsessed Talk Sport caller aesthetic, which very reasonably turns a lot of people off.

Pro-Levy support has generally come from people who like to analyze things with a longer-term more businesslike focus. And I think if people with that mindset are honest and rational about it, they can see that we are not a well-administered football club and haven't been for quite awhile in much the terms you've laid out.

The two camps are never going to agree on what transfers should have been done for Poch in 2017, but if both look with clear eyes they can equally see there is no plan moving forward.

Well expressed.

There's no doubt that "Levy Out" has long been associated with a sort of impatient, ignorant, back-page focused, transfer-obsessed Talk Sport caller aesthetic, which very reasonably turns a lot of people off.

Pro-Levy support has generally come from people who like to analyze things with a longer-term more businesslike focus. And I think if people with that mindset are honest and rational about it, they can see that we are not a well-administered football club and haven't been for quite awhile in much the terms you've laid out.

The two camps are never going to agree on what transfers should have been done for Poch in 2017, but if both look with clear eyes they can equally see there is no plan moving forward.
Great posts here from FightingIllini FightingIllini and Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi

it's nice to have a bit of nuance rather than the same stuff over and over again from the usual suspects .

Back
Top Bottom