Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not really football is different. If the club was in league one we would still have a big fanbase and Match day going crowds. They have supporters not customers.

If I was not a supporter and was a customer I would be down the Emirates this season not White Hart Lane. I am a Spurs fan so that ain’t going to happen.

Much of our fanbase that attends has been loving us since the 80s. New stadium just means you can fit more of them in.

If we where a Burger chain we would have the nicest seats and the best signs but mouldy burgers and lazy staff. That would go under.

In the eyes of the board you are a customer whether you like it or not, that's the point.

Football is a business, the only difference is that Tottenham are selling their products to fans. the owners don't have a duty to make the fans happy, they have a duty to improve the stature of their club and make profit, that's it.

And in their eyes if you don't like what's being sold, you as a customer will stop buying but someone else will just take your place.

If Spurs are the equivalent of a burger chain, you would have bad food but people will still be spending money and eating it, in this instance people may not like the players or how the club is being run but fans are still turning up in their droves to watch the team, the club still have a waiting list of season tickets they could sell and fans are still buying merchandise.

Frankly every business gets judged on the happiness of their customers/clients, if people continue to buy the product or service and continue make profit it means you are building or have built a successful brand, so essentially in this case the buyers are the fans and if fans continue to buy merchandise, tickets and sell out the stadium then the owners will see it as a success.
Exactly, this is the big problem. Most Spurs fans seem to act like sheep in all honesty, moan and groan online etc but dutifully go to games and spend shitloads of money on everything. Even on the recent night at the stadium, I forget which game but saw it on YouTube, the one where they were chanting "he's magic you know..." they were all in the bar area supping Danny boy's upside down beer!
It's a bit hypocritical to slag off the owners (rightly), but then to spend stacks of money to support them. Either they come to their senses one day and boycott enic's whole shoddy business model, or nothing will ever change. It's possible to be a Spurs fan without supporting the owners, the two things are entirely different entities.
Some of the biggest culprits are established YouTubers who are little more than a mouthpiece for enic. We all know they get supported by the club in exchange for looking at all things Spurs through rose-tinted spectacles. Shame on you, helping to prolong the myth that Levy gives a damn for you.

Even on the recent night at the stadium, I forget which game but saw it on YouTube, the one where they were chanting "he's magic you know..." they were all in the bar area supping Danny boy's upside down beer!
It's a bit hypocritical to slag off the owners (rightly), but then to spend stacks of money to support them. Either they come to their senses one day and boycott enic's whole shoddy business model, or nothing will ever change.
Must be more profit in drowning sorrows with thousands of beers than celebrating trophies with the odd magnum of champagne tbh.

In order to appease our fanbase the current owners will either have to alter their business model and/or change their strategy to concentrate on actually winning something like a domestic cup or two and I really cannot see them doing it.

Much as we may not like to admit it the criticism about their poor 'on the field' record during their tenure simply does not stand up to scrutiny. As far as league finishes are concerned their performance over the last two decades is unrivalled and that includes the 'Glory Glory' decade when we won the double. However...

From my memory we were always regarded as a 'Cup' team and short of sacrificing PL status I would be quite happy to finish outside the top 4 in exchange for some silverware, at least then the poor old stadium tour guides will have something more interesting to show the visitors than the cutlery in corporate hospitality.

In the modern game finishing in the top 4 is regarded by the powers that be as a far higher level of success than winning domestic competitions hence the better reward of entry into the CL and the ensuing return of riches which business minded owners often base their structure of planning on.

Levy is such an animal and rarely is influenced by anyone on the business side whilst relying on others brought in to oversee the football side. Problem being he is not very good at selecting the right people and even when he does they have already lost their mojo adding exacerbation rather than solution. No idea if new ownership will improve or worsen our situation but if Levy really is the fan he claims to be the least he can do is step down and let someone else have a go because i bet there is not 100% backing for him in the boardroom?

Leicester also became more successful than us during ENIC's reign

If we are just looking at trophies since ENIC took over then there are more than just 2 teams - so I guess that’s not the point being questioned?

They have had more success definitely.

But have they become more successful overall?
I think they are well behind us for trophies still? Never won a European trophy for instance.

The year ENIC took over, Woolwich won the league and cup double. Woolwich were the best team in the country.

Before that they had won 11 league titles, 7 FA cups, 1 cup winners cup and 2 league cups. 21 total.

We had won 2 league titles, 8 FA cups, 3 league cups, 2 uefa cups and 1 cup winners cup. 16 total.

So you’re wrong. Woolwich had won more trophies than us before Enic took over.
Genuine Fucking Question,

What do we have to show for 'overtaking' Woolwich?

In order to appease our fanbase the current owners will either have to alter their business model and/or change their strategy to concentrate on actually winning something like a domestic cup or two and I really cannot see them doing it.

Much as we may not like to admit it the criticism about their poor 'on the field' record during their tenure simply does not stand up to scrutiny. As far as league finishes are concerned their performance over the last two decades is unrivalled and that includes the 'Glory Glory' decade when we won the double. However...

From my memory we were always regarded as a 'Cup' team and short of sacrificing PL status I would be quite happy to finish outside the top 4 in exchange for some silverware, at least then the poor old stadium tour guides will have something more interesting to show the visitors than the cutlery in corporate hospitality.

In the modern game finishing in the top 4 is regarded by the powers that be as a far higher level of success than winning domestic competitions hence the better reward of entry into the CL and the ensuing return of riches which business minded owners often base their structure of planning on.

Levy is such an animal and rarely is influenced by anyone on the business side whilst relying on others brought in to oversee the football side. Problem being he is not very good at selecting the right people and even when he does they have already lost their mojo adding exacerbation rather than solution. No idea if new ownership will improve or worsen our situation but if Levy really is the fan he claims to be the least he can do is step down and let someone else have a go because i bet there is not 100% backing for him in the boardroom?
You are right, there is too much financial reward attached to the CL, and Levy being the money grabbing mercenary he is will never focus on anything else.
Either he must be made to see the error of his ways by protests and avoidance of giving enic a penny by a substantial number of the fanbase. Or rewards for domestic trophies need to be increased substantially, or CL money reduced. Strangely a Euro super league could actually help us in this financial situation.
It's currently a catch 22 situation; Levy wants money and nothing else, the fans understandably want trophies. There is probably a significant number of Spurs fans today who have given up caring about top 4 to gain access to a comp we have no chance of winning these days. Instead they watch everybody else picking up silverware regularly whilst we come nowhere near. Even when Woolwich were rebuilding they were picking up FA cups.
Something has to give or Levy can forget about youngsters wanting to follow his clowning activities and supporting his circus. What we have here is the sporting equal of Putin, a little dictator, likely a narcissist, who gets off on controlling everything and ignoring any criticism.
On my part screw the CL, I hope we fail solely because it's my only little way of taking pleasure against Levy.

Did you not enjoy our time under Poch?

Does finishing above Woolwich have no value to you?
At the end of the day, it all counted for nothing but financial gains for the club.

Finishing above Woolwich is fun for about 30 mins after it happens, and then I couldn't care less. When we beat Leicester on the final day under Mason, I wasn't even bothered about finishing above Woolwich as I was about beating Leicester on the day and denying them UCL qualification.

At the end of the day, it all counted for nothing but financial gains for the club.

Finishing above Woolwich is fun for about 30 mins after it happens, and then I couldn't care less. When we beat Leicester on the final day under Mason, I wasn't even bothered about finishing above Woolwich as I was about beating Leicester on the day and denying them UCL qualification.
That’s fair enough.

But you can’t say it all counted for nothing. You’ve got to be able to take some satisfaction from watching your team play well and doing better than your rivals. If that doesn’t make you happy then I guess we’re just very different people.

That wasn’t the point. I wasn’t crediting levy with anything.

I said that the only two teams to become more successful than us since ENIC took over are Chelsea and Man City.
The fact 7 people disagreed with this shows how batshit crazy discussion is in here.

It’s a literal fact that only Chelsea and Man City have overtaken us in trophies won since ENIC took over. If you disagree then tell me which team in their history has now won more trophies than us that hadn’t before Enic took over.

You lemons

Edit before one of you try Leicester. Before ENIC they had won 3 trophies. Now they’ve won 5. That is far below our 18.

The fact 7 people disagreed with this shows how batshit crazy discussion is in here.

It’s a literal fact that only Chelsea and Man City have overtaken us in trophies won since ENIC took over. If you disagree then tell me which team in their history has now won more trophies than us that hadn’t before Enic took over.

You lemons

Edit before one of you try Leicester. Before ENIC they had won 3 trophies. Now they’ve won 5. That is far below our 18.
It’s a literal fact that since ENIC took over we have 1 league cup

It’s a literal fact in that time Leicester have won a league and an FA Cup, try dress it up how you like they’ve been more successful in the time ENIC have been in charge.

Back
Top Bottom