Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think Sugar has the same money or approach to running a team that ENIC did. And did I ever say "it was so easy"?

Again, I am not saying they did nothing, they took advantage of the opportunity but much of what they did was due to things already in place not due to things that Levy did.

Spurs we part of the "big five" when the PL was formed. That was 10 years before ENIC took over. They weren't some small club that Levy elevated to high status because of brilliant decisions.

But yes you are right if you are poorly managed things can go wrong, so I guess congrats on Levy for not being a shit owner. Not exactly a high bar some people set for him is it?

The majority of football club owners are really shit - in every aspect of running their club

I don't think Sugar has the same money or approach to running a team that ENIC did. And did I ever say "it was so easy"?

Again, I am not saying they did nothing, they took advantage of the opportunity but much of what they did was due to things already in place not due to things that Levy did.

Spurs we part of the "big five" when the PL was formed. That was 10 years before ENIC took over. They weren't some small club that Levy elevated to high status because of brilliant decisions.

But yes you are right if you are poorly managed things can go wrong, so I guess congrats on Levy for not being a shit owner. Not exactly a high bar some people set for him is it?

Whilst it's true we were part of the big 5 around the 80s in to 90s, that counts for little as we missed out on the CL/Sky TV gravy train which propelled a select few clubs way out in front financially- so comparing a snapshot of then vs now, showing us as big 5 v big 6 doesn't tell the full story of what happened in between.

Whilst it's true we were part of the big 5 around the 80s in to 90s, that counts for little as we missed out on the CL/Sky TV gravy train which propelled a select few clubs way out in front financially- so comparing a snapshot of then vs now, showing us as big 5 v big 6 doesn't tell the full story of what happened in between.
But as we watch Everton and Leeds and so help me god the Spam rapidly make up the ground we sped through thanks almost exclusively to Poch, what difference does that make?

An unlimited budget is the only ticket to revenue stability. As I've said a million times, football is a shitty business. If ENIC doesn't like it then ENIC can take their two billion pound profit and fuck off.

I wouldn't sing it myself but no I don't think it is an embarrassment to the club and I think it has zero impact on the protests or anything that may or may not come from it.
Agree. When it started I thought this is a bit much and didn't join in. Half the people singing it were actually singing the Sol Campbell version.

But you know what. Levy could have killed this club twice (Stratford and ESL). If he had succeeded either time then certainly there would be a lot more people singing that song. He failed but the intention was there. You reap what you sow.

The point is that we have advantages that many other clubs do not and that those things have been present since before Levy got here.

But this line of thinking is how fans make excuses for ENIC by overrating what they supposedly did in the past and ignoring how shit they have been.

It actually kind of reminds me our transfer business as well. Sure Anderson isn't good enough, but he is better than Anderson so lets go!

But as we watch Everton and Leeds and so help me god the Spam rapidly make up the ground we sped through thanks almost exclusively to Poch, what difference does that make?

An unlimited budget is the only ticket to revenue stability. As I've said a million times, football is a shitty business. If ENIC doesn't like it then ENIC can take their two billion pound profit and fuck off.

Don't confuse a season or two doing well (Europa positions??) on the pitch with closing of the gap financially - we done similar when we were managed by Jol but were still miles off the pace, think we were closer to the teams at the bottom of the table than Woolwich one place above wrt to finances. We can now expect to compete at the top of the league with the revenue we now have in place thanks to the stadium and other areas of growth off the field.

The point is that we have advantages that many other clubs do not and that those things have been present since before Levy got here.

But this line of thinking is how fans make excuses for ENIC by overrating what they supposedly did in the past and ignoring how shit they have been.

It actually kind of reminds me our transfer business as well. Sure Anderson isn't good enough, but he is better than Anderson so lets go!

What advantages?

Levy spent £30m in Summer 2016 to buy Sissoko

Chelsea spent £30m to buy Kante.

Let that sink in
Awful shambolic recruitment.
Levy probably spent £30m all in on Sissoko vs Chelsea spending £30m + huge wages to Kante.
And Kante probably would have turned his nose up at us like all top tier players do. And he would have been right to do so.

What advantages?

Location, history, size of the fan base.

Spurs were one of the bigger clubs in England when Levy took over. They are historically a big club with a big fanbase. As I had already shown they were one of the big 5 when the PL started 10 years before Levy took over. There is a reason they were the club he bought.

There are things that Spurs have that a team like Burnley does not. Outside of splashing huge amounts of personal cash and not worrying about running a proper business Burnley cannot do what we are, they don't have the fan base, they don't have the corporate opportunities, they don't have the global appeal etc.

To take Spurs from where they were 20 years ago to where they are today. I think that is the sign of a great boss. But you right. I don't know much about his abilities as a leader.
He’s an effective businessman, doesn’t mean he’s a good leader. I don’t see a lot of good output from anyone else under his tenure really bar a handful of people

We can now expect to compete at the top of the league with the revenue we now have in place thanks to the stadium and other areas of growth off the field.
We absolutely cannot. The dizzing heights of recent season's revenue numbers reflect the massive TV and matchday income from Poch's Champions League campaigns, something that our current squad level and poor and under-financed transfer policy make a near impossibility in the future. The revenue arrow is pointing straight down.

Even so we remain ahead of the likes of Everton and West Ham as a business, but only marginally, and if those clubs continue to spend a higher percentage of their turnover on the squad and spend it more intelligently, they will zip by us with ease.

The business genius at Tottenham Hotspur is Mauricio Pochettino, period, end of story.

I'd say there was at least 300 there. I don't know how to post pictures on here but some funny banners made and hung up on the opposite side of the road to the stadium. I'm sure the pics are somewhere on the internet. A lot of smoke bombs and good to see Chick King do well out of it.

Spurs were one of the bigger clubs in England when Levy took over. They are historically a big club with a big fanbase. As I had already shown they were one of the big 5 when the PL started 10 years before Levy took over. There is a reason they were the club he bought.

There are things that Spurs have that a team like Burnley does not. Outside of splashing huge amounts of personal cash and not worrying about running a proper business Burnley cannot do what we are, they don't have the fan base, they don't have the corporate opportunities, they don't have the global appeal etc.
Younger fans don’t realise that the benchmark isn’t how shit Spurs were in the 90’s, it’s the fact we were the best supported club from the 60-80’s bar Utd and Liverpool

No ones comparing us to Burnley, that's a silly thing to say.

We were/are a big club - but that only gets you so far off the field and with 4 similar sized clubs having a 10+ year headstart on CL revenue and associated sponsorship deals then it barely means anything, those clubs had the same or better base as us and then got an unfair advantage on top of that - despite that we're actually now going to be on a level with Chelsea/Woolwich/Liverpool off the field once crowds are back to stadiums.

When Enic came in Leeds, Villa & Newcastle had similar revenues to us, that's the level our fanbase/history/location got us at that point - we're now way out ahead of those clubs off the field, that isn't something that was destined to happen irrespective of who was in charge.

We absolutely cannot. The dizzing heights of recent season's revenue numbers reflect the massive TV and matchday income from Poch's Champions League campaigns, something that our current squad level and poor and under-financed transfer policy make a near impossibility in the future. The revenue arrow is pointing straight down.

Even so we remain ahead of the likes of Everton and West Ham as a business, but only marginally, and if those clubs continue to spend a higher percentage of their turnover on the squad and spend it more intelligently, they will zip by us with ease.

The business genius at Tottenham Hotspur is Mauricio Pochettino, period, end of story.

The CL revenue of course is an extra but the stadium revenue increase actually betters it - take CL revenue out and Spurs will be making better money than all but City & United (in normal post noncovid situation)

Younger fans don’t realise that the benchmark isn’t how shit Spurs were in the 90’s, it’s the fact we were the best supported club from the 60-80’s bar Utd and Liverpool

Unfortunately having a big/huge fanbase domestically before english football exploded world wide and became the huge money spinner it is today doesn't really count for shit (wrt to this particular argument)

Back
Top Bottom