Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All their worldwide fans (/revenue stream) need to wake up and realise they aren't the best team in England anymore.

But fuck it, they haven't managed to figure that out for the last 25 years so I'm not holding my breath.

do you want their fans to stop supporting them because they are not the best team in England? Surely once a fan always a fan - we will have to go after their children!

do you want their fans to stop supporting them because they are not the best team in England? Surely once a fan always a fan - we will have to go after their children!
Well, I'm referring more to the plastic-y fans around the world who are happy to hop on a bandwagon. Woolwich and Liverpool seem to still have huge international fans simply off the back of the Invincibles year and 2005 CL win respectively.

But yeah, you're right, it's at least admirable if Liverpool fans have stuck with them since the 80s (despite initially bandwagoning). Unfortunately, a lot of those kids from back then seem to run the media now!

They have certainly rolled the dice on player wages and as yet it's not worked. They will increase revenues further next year because of the new stand and the additional seats and corp stuff, but as you rightly suggest missing out on CL is the biggest hit (approx £40m). EL is no longer as shite financially as it has been in the past, last year we earned double what we have in previous seasons (I think it was approx £17m), so they can mitigate some loss here now. The biggest loss here though is just the drain on the squad and the effects of playing Thurs & Sun.

Not being in the CL also means that you have to overpay on player transfer fees and wages, arguably for lesser players, players that may not come good. As well as price money it impacts your brand too, and your sponsorship deals.

For us specifically, over the period that Liverpool have been in decline we have greatly improved on and off the pitch. Our new stadium combined with our challenging for honours, and gaining CL football, is going to see us close that gap off the pitch which is going to make it much harder for Liverpool to challenge us in future years. Utd have not been out as long and are much bigger so can absorb the effects for some time.

One season out of the CL is not as bad as two, or three, or more. I see the problem kind of compounding over time, having greater impact, so I really hope Liverpool miss out again.

Well, I'm referring more to the plastic-y fans around the world who are happy to hop on a bandwagon. Woolwich and Liverpool seem to still have huge international fans simply off the back of the Invincibles year and 2005 CL win respectively.

But yeah, you're right, it's at least admirable if Liverpool fans have stuck with them since the 80s (despite initially bandwagoning). Unfortunately, a lot of those kids from back then seem to run the media now!

Liverpool also got a load of fans (in the far east) on the back of Michael Owen -its crazy how huge he was.

Not being in the CL also means that you have to overpay on player transfer fees and wages, arguably for lesser players, players that may not come good. As well as price money it impacts your brand too, and your sponsorship deals.

For us specifically, over the period that Liverpool have been in decline we have greatly improved on and off the pitch. Our new stadium combined with our challenging for honours, and gaining CL football, is going to see us close that gap off the pitch which is going to make it much harder for Liverpool to challenge us in future years. Utd have not been out as long and are much bigger so can absorb the effects for some time.

One season out of the CL is not as bad as two, or three, or more. I see the problem kind of compounding over time, having greater impact, so I really hope Liverpool miss out again.
I get your optimism but we have a very, very, very long way to go to catch up. In fact, despite things improving for us both on and off the pitch the financial gap between us and Liverpool has got bigger by a whooping £72m over the past 5 years!!
The new Stadium allows us to hang onto the coattails not close the gap, I suspect that will take another decade or so and only if we continue with our trajectory, for which there is no guarantee.
C8twXSIW0AAL-Qx.jpg

I get your optimism but we have a very, very, very long way to go to catch up. In fact, despite things improving for us both on and off the pitch the financial gap between us and Liverpool has got bigger by a whooping £72m over the past 5 years!!
The new Stadium allows us to hang onto the coattails not close the gap, I suspect that will take another decade or so and only if we continue with our trajectory, for which there is no guarantee.
C8twXSIW0AAL-Qx.jpg
Why the heck did Liverpool grow so much more than us between 2013 and 2015?

Was the effect of Rodgers v Sherwood that heavy?
:dembelewtf:

C8twXSIW0AAL-Qx.jpg

There's a big difference between catching up and closing the gap. Catching up will not happen quickly. I do think our new stadium and the advantages that go with it, along with our on pitch success will do more than allow us to hold onto their coat tails though, we will close the gap I am pretty sure, even if they has more on-field success. But I don't think we need to entirely catch up off the pitch in order to stay ahead on the pitch anyway. I think Liverpool will find it hard to improve and keep their off-field success to the current degree, without finishing top four or challenging for trophies.

There's a big difference between catching up and closing the gap. Catching up will not happen quickly. I do think our new stadium and the advantages that go with it, along with our on pitch success will do more than allow us to hold onto their coat tails though, we will close the gap I am pretty sure, even if they has more on-field success. But I don't think we need to entirely catch up off the pitch in order to stay ahead on the pitch anyway. I think Liverpool will find it hard to improve and keep their off-field success to the current degree, without finishing top four or challenging for trophies.
Again nothing wrong with what you say. The harsh reality is though, before we even start closing the gap, first we have to deal with the fact, that despite us finishing above them what will be 8 times in the past 7yrs, the financial gap is increasing and has done by an ave of £15m per year every year for the past five years! And this includes us growing our revenues in the same period, just not at the same rate of all the clubs above us in the money leagues. There are teams in the Championship closer to us in revenue than we are to Liverpool!.

Why the heck did Liverpool grow so much more than us between 2013 and 2015?

Was the effect of Rodgers v Sherwood that heavy?
:dembelewtf:
They had crap ownership / management not making the most of their opportunities - FSG came in and they picked up the slack, if their management were any good then the difference would have been there all the time.

The chap I sit next to told me Irving Scholar died the other day. He said it was mentioned in the obituaries in the Jewish Chronicle. I've done a quick google but found nothing to back it up

The chap I sit next to told me Irving Scholar died the other day. He said it was mentioned in the obituaries in the Jewish Chronicle. I've done a quick google but found nothing to back it up

I'm quite good at finding things online, but can find very little on Scholar - and nothing to say he's died.

Again nothing wrong with what you say. The harsh reality is though, before we even start closing the gap, first we have to deal with the fact, that despite us finishing above them what will be 8 times in the past 7yrs, the financial gap is increasing and has done by an ave of £15m per year every year for the past five years! And this includes us growing our revenues in the same period, just not at the same rate of all the clubs above us in the money leagues. There are teams in the Championship closer to us in revenue than we are to Liverpool!.
Errm
How do we finish above them 8 times in 7 years.....?

Out of idle curiousity

Errm
How do we finish above them 8 times in 7 years.....?

Out of idle curiousity
Liverpool being shit, poor recruitment, no academy players getting into the team basically being very poorly run football club, only 7yrs ago they were close to bancrupcy under Hicks & Gillet.

Whilst we are a very well run club and therefore have taken full advantage of this.

Liverpool being shit, poor recruitment, no academy players getting into the team basically being very poorly run football club, only 7yrs ago they were close to bancrupcy under Hicks & Gillet.

Whilst we are a very well run club and therefore have taken full advantage of this.
it was the 8 in 7 years bit I didn't understand, thats mathematically impossible

Back
Top Bottom