Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just saw a quote about no marquee signings since Ginola.
Lloris
Regardless of form I think Lamela was too.
Van der Vaart
I'm sure there are others too

Lamela was not a marque signing, just the price tag. We were victims of the modern day hysteria and over-hype about everything (which the bottom falls out of equally as fast after any minor down-turns).

I'll keep saying it; watch his YouTube reel, you know the ones that make anybody look amazing, even from that you could tell he wasn't lightning quick, not particularly strong and was hardly Messi on the ball. Decent finisher and a bit of a handful in Serie A but I was nervous about his signing at £30m as opposed to excited and hopeful if he'd been £15m.

Rafa for sure.

Lloris yes.

Soldado yes (just hasn't worked out).

Apart from that, probably Ade!!

Not many more for a long time.

Yep, who else went to Oldham on the Thursday night near the end of the season knowing a win would keep us up? Great times,...........

Who remembers our trips to the Midlands, getting hammered by villa on boxing day? Getting beat 4 0 by Coventry with Coventry unlucky not to get 10? I did not go to the hammering at Newcastle, was it 7?

I was at the 4-0 drubbing by Coventry. I remember seeing one of those most amazing pieces of skill I've still ever seen by Ginola. Remember getting hissed at by a few thousand fans on either side of us. Had parsnip and swede mash for the first time. Got pissed on the way home.

What wasn't to like?

Lamela was not a marque signing, just the price tag. We were victims of the modern day hysteria and over-hype about everything (which the bottom falls out of equally as fast after any minor down-turns).

I'll keep saying it; watch his YouTube reel, you know the ones that make anybody look amazing, even from that you could tell he wasn't lightning quick, not particularly strong and was hardly Messi on the ball. Decent finisher and a bit of a handful in Serie A but I was nervous about his signing at £30m as opposed to excited and hopeful if he'd been £15m.

Rafa for sure.

Lloris yes.

Soldado yes (just hasn't worked out).

Apart from that, probably Ade!!

Not many more for a long time.
Bale?

I was at the 4-0 drubbing by Coventry. I remember seeing one of those most amazing pieces of skill I've still ever seen by Ginola. Remember getting hissed at by a few thousand fans on either side of us. Had parsnip and swede mash for the first time. Got pissed on the way home.

What wasn't to like?

I was sat amongst my Coventry supporting mates, the worst thing was that night the piss taking stopped and they were pitying me......that was a low

Not when we bought him though? A coup given his potential and he went on to exceed anything we could've realistically expected. He was a marque sale!
There was a fair amount of hype about him though, all the usual suspects were sniffing and Levy stuck his neck out and stumped up a fair chunk of change for a relatively untested youngster - but one hyped for his promise.

But yes - not exactly a Rooney/Ronaldo/Ronaldinho/Ronald McDonaldo marquee signing.

I remember from the 90s us finishing 3rd, beating Woolwich in an FA Cup semi-final, going on to win the Cup, and also winning the Lge cup in 99.

Under ENIC I remember winning the Lge Cup v Chelsea, and getting to the quarter finals of the CL after finishing 4th.

Yes, do you also remember a near bankruptcy and narrowly avoided relegation in the 1990s, as well as several consecutive years of competitive teams in the 2000s-2010s?

Oh, right, that doesn't matter.

I remember from the 90s us finishing 3rd, beating Woolwich in an FA Cup semi-final, going on to win the Cup, and also winning the Lge cup in 99.

Under ENIC I remember winning the Lge Cup v Chelsea, and getting to the quarter finals of the CL after finishing 4th.

you also forget reaching two other cup finals in that time, even tho we didnt win them

what did we do under sugar, apart from settle for mid table and get raped by Joe Royle's everton in a cup semi?? because thats what sugar did. he was Mike Ashley. settle for mid table and hope for a cup run.
you conveniently gloss over this tho, saying "in the 90s", cos you know that the FA cup win wasnt under sugar.
(yes, Im aware we had a league cup win under gooner graham in sugar's time)

Dude were not going to change each other's minds. And I had such hopes on an Internet forum too! Lol. But once more I will go over what you say.

Archway pkayed a game of brinksmanship they couldn't really lose and that may well have worked out for the best for them. I've heard reports they wanted 8m to 20m. It's probably somewhere in the middle. The court costs will have cost us somewhere between 6m to 8m. Sling them 10m and the stadium could have been built by now. But a public protracted court case makes them the bad guy and Levy/ENIC the chance to say our hands are tied while all the time buying up land around the ground to build flats on. This business model only seemed to happen after they saw the scums
Success. Even if we had got Levys dream of relocating to East London they would still have owned the land to build cheap and sell high.

We're not successful on the pitch.

We won trophies on average from the 80's to their takeover every 3 years. I wouldn't mind that now. I take your point re chelski, not Citeh though. They had enough time to build up an ethos by then. And even with the chavs we could have done more. When was our last marquee signing? I'm struggling to think mate. Bar fucking up the Bale money on moneyball signings and Baldinis whims we haven't had one since, Ginola?

In between that fuck up you mention of sliding all the way from not winning the league they have never been out of CL. Built a stadium free of oil money and won the FA cup twice. I'd take that thanks.

We don't know there is a committed date. And if there is maybe that's part of the new regimes remit. I accept I'm purely guessing at this. Truth is I truly hope I'm wrong on this.

You have to be a massive bell end not to make in the pl. Only Risdale, and I think that alone proves my point, ever managed to fuck up a leading pl club. Levy isn't a genius. His tinkering and poor deal making has helped make us a laughing hated stock amongst football clubs.

Terry Henry wasnt a marquee signing (he was and is a cunt, but wasnt a marquee signing). Van Persie wasnt. Suarez (another cunt)
Veron was. Falcao was. Balotelli was

Call me old fashioned, but I would rather a good signing than a marquee one.

To be fair. Man Utd are about to get £8,000,000 for Johnny Evans. I think we will have to top that with the sale of Chiriches.

We keep taking over the transfer thread with it so let's put it in one place so Admin Admin doesn't bin people :kaneear:

Have we progressed since ENIC?
Has this topic been discussed in every thread ever posted on here?:nawty:

We keep taking over the transfer thread with it so let's put it in one place so Admin Admin doesn't bin people :kaneear:

Have we progressed since ENIC?
Has this topic been discussed in every thread ever posted on here?:nawty:
Yes. And there are two, mutually unacceptable positions. You either agree with one side, or the other.

Yep, who else went to Oldham on the Thursday night near the end of the season knowing a win would keep us up? Great times,...........

i went the week before as well , when it were rained off. we drove from Victoria to oldham, listening to CD's (borrowed a car from the carpool at work.had a multichanger. it was god like). were in oldha, finding somewhere to park when we put on the radio and found out it were off. so we drove to sheffield for a pint and then went home

Misses off the most damning quote:

“What I’m saying is that Daniel probably squeezed an extra million pounds out of us, but he probably could have got £29m or so two weeks earlier and allowed time to get a different striker and spend that money wisely.”

----

Former Man United chief executive Gill has recalled his difficult dealings with the White Hart Lane outfit, describing the last-minute deal for Dimitar Berbatov in 2008 as “a nightmare”.

“I don’t know (why they do it so late). It is very difficult,” Gill told Manchester Evening News. “With Tottenham, I’m not speaking out of turn, and Daniel Levy, he would like to do that.

“In 2008, when we won the Champions League, we decided that we couldn’t rely on Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo to score all the goals so went for another forward and that was Berbatov. I spoke to Daniel Levy in June that year, made an offer, and it went on for the whole summer.

“It was a nightmare. In the end I felt it affected Spurs because we did the deal in the end, at midnight on deadline day, so Tottenham couldn’t get a replacement in. The way the deal got done was that Daniel needed a striker and asked about Fraizer Campbell. So Alex had to phone up Fraizer and say ‘by the way Fraizer, do me a favour, you’re going to Tottenham now’. And that’s how it happened.

“What I’m saying is that Daniel probably squeezed an extra million pounds out of us, but he probably could have got £29m or so two weeks earlier and allowed time to get a different striker and spend that money wisely.”

Gill: Tottenham a transfer market 'nightmare' - Football365

So the next time anyone says Levytime, remember Fraizertime.

Back
Top Bottom