Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep Lee, the Standard has been historically anti-Spurs and pro Woolwich. They famously, ridiculously decided that the London player of the 80s wasn't Hoddle, but O'Leary.:roflmao:

I kid you not, surely an April Fool's joke, but no really, that's what they decided. So I've long ago given up on that awful paper.

Hence I don't believe their spin on this. I'll await further news, but it simply makes no sense to me what they are saying that the club is saying.

So what's the point of having both Paul Mitchell and Baldini at the club?

I'm genuinely baffled as to what Baldini has actually been doing since Summer 2013. Yeah, we made a couple of signings but even they were release fees (Dier and Benji) and Vorm and Davies were part of the siggy swap? 2 years work to sign Fazio!?! (before anyone says Ali and Yedlin they're pretty small fry).

Levy received a 500K pay rise last year ( according to tonight's evening papers ) how on earth that's justified I'll never know....but what really confused me is that apprantly the 8 ( ? ) top brass on our board are all earning millions.....but who the feck are these board members ?

So what's the point of having both Paul Mitchell and Baldini at the club?
So long as he's not picking the targets, Baldini makes a hell of a good 'closer' on deals. Excited though I am to see who Mitchell has/will come up with as transfer targets, I wouldn't want his time split between Spurs Lodge and flying around Europe (or beyond) getting players bought/sold.

Yes, he's an expensive way of pushing transfers across the line, but Baldini does have good contacts and seems to be a charming man. More so than dealing directly with Levy, perhaps.

Oh well, the media narrative (whether the information has been leaked from Spurs or not) seems to be setting the stage for Baldini to get the sack anyway.

So long as he's not picking the targets, Baldini makes a hell of a good 'closer' on deals. Excited though I am to see who Mitchell has/will come up with as transfer targets, I wouldn't want his time split between Spurs Lodge and flying around Europe (or beyond) getting players bought/sold.

Yes, he's an expensive way of pushing transfers across the line, but Baldini does have good contacts and seems to be a charming man. More so than dealing directly with Levy, perhaps.

Oh well, the media narrative (whether the information has been leaked from Spurs or not) seems to be setting the stage for Baldini to get the sack anyway.
How do you know this?

How do you know this?
I'm awake, though I wish I wasn't, and formulating an answer to this might help me sleep...

Let's look at each piece individually.

From about 6.15 in this video (which began the 'black box' fascination), you can hear Mitchell discuss his role and the staff/tools at his disposal, it would be safe to assume that these are consistent with what he'll have at Spurs as Head of Recruitment. There's a pretty big spectrum over which he'll be covering: from bringing in the youth players/looking at the existing youth teams, to identifying targets for the first team.
And that's just in the summer.
To head that recruitment team, it's logical to see he'd be most effective at our base of operations.

Meanwhile, here's an image of Baldini lunching it up with the agent of Soldado during the prolonged period where we were hashing out a deal with Valencia. Much like the rest of those signings that summer, Baldini was the one to grease the wheels - and did so commendably for each one, even if the players themselves have disappointed.

baldini1.jpg

Here, in this Independent article, it's described how smoothly our summer recruitment went in 2013. Again, it's key to focus upon the process of bringing the players in - not how they turned out for us in footballing terms.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ttenhams-slick-transfer-campaign-8774983.html

That was, of course, the very same summer that Manchester United's opposite numbers were fooled by someone claiming they were Herrera's agent. Despite plenty of money to spend, you need look no further than their activities that year for how badly player recruitment can be done.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/04/manchester-united-ander-herrera-transfer-farce

As this Goal article discusses at the time of Mitchell's appointment, Baldini was essentially our acting head of recruitment during our Magnificent Seven transfer window (with no-one else in particular to do the role instead) which partly explains the interest in Lamela, given his connections with Roma. It's also shown that identifying the players is not his strongest suit, which is why I'm thrilled we brought in Mitchell and his team.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...brink-levys-reduced-role-inside-the-tottenham

This article also focuses upon Levy taking more of a back seat with the club's transfer policy - meaning a lot more of Baldini dining agents across Europe, and less of Levy running to catch an EasyJet flight with Mido in tow.
As far as the great 'what does Baldini do?' question goes, I could never give a complete answer. I'm focused upon what he brings to our transfer policy; which, as I've said, is going out and getting the deals done. Other Director of Football roles are surely widespread in nature.

So yeah. I don't 'know' with absolutely certainty that my previous post is exactly how things are. But given the information available to us, it's a pretty solid deduction to make.

Last edited:

As there is no Bale wind full , the targets will be very very modest and
not in high demand . Anybody could sign Fazio , Strambouilla ? , Dier etc.
Baldini has been a complete failure as an appointment by Levy ,
so is not needed , especially as Levy has given himself £500,000 pay rise .
You couldn't make it up.

Last edited:
As there is no Bale wind full , the targets will be very very modest and
not in high demand . Anybody could sign Fazio , Strambouilla ? , Dier etc.
Baldini has been a complete failure as an appointment by Levy ,
so is not needed , especially as Levy has given himself £500,000 pay rise .
You couldn't make it up.

Agree on Fazio and Stambouli, Dier on the other hand was a brilliant piece of business, our best CB this season, very young and at just £4 million. In truth with our net zero model our only hope for a great transfer window is Mitchell getting us bargains like Dier across the park, then trying to keep our young team together over the next 5 years.

United and Chelsea with the signings they are linked with will probably move clear of everyone else next season, even Woolwich and perhaps City.

Agree on Fazio and Stambouli, Dier on the other hand was a brilliant piece of business,

United and Chelsea with the signings they are linked with will probably move clear of everyone else next season, even Woolwich and perhaps City.
Yes your right that Dier was potentially good business but as strategy for success l see it
having very little chance of generating silverware , just another cheap punt .
On the teams that spend for glory and I would include Woolwich in that know , they
Are already in another stratosphere to us and out of sight if we are being honest .
We can always play the morale card of "playing youngsters " and are constantly
winning the accountancy trophy but surly this is not the ethics of our
Founding fathers " Bill Nick, Mr Rowe "

I'm awake, though I wish I wasn't, and formulating an answer to this might help me sleep...

Let's look at each piece individually.

From about 6.15 in this video (which began the 'black box' fascination), you can hear Mitchell discuss his role and the staff/tools at his disposal, it would be safe to assume that these are consistent with what he'll have at Spurs as Head of Recruitment. There's a pretty big spectrum over which he'll be covering: from bringing in the youth players/looking at the existing youth teams, to identifying targets for the first team.
And that's just in the summer.
To head that recruitment team, it's logical to see he'd be most effective at our base of operations.

Meanwhile, here's an image of Baldini lunching it up with the agent of Soldado during the prolonged period where we were hashing out a deal with Valencia. Much like the rest of those signings that summer, Baldini was the one to grease the wheels - and did so commendably for each one, even if the players themselves have disappointed.

baldini1.jpg

Here, in this Independent article, it's described how smoothly our summer recruitment went in 2013. Again, it's key to focus upon the process of bringing the players in - not how they turned out for us in footballing terms.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ttenhams-slick-transfer-campaign-8774983.html

That was, of course, the very same summer that Manchester United's opposite numbers were fooled by someone claiming they were Herrera's agent. Despite plenty of money to spend, you need look no further than their activities that year for how badly player recruitment can be done.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/04/manchester-united-ander-herrera-transfer-farce

As this Goal article discusses at the time of Mitchell's appointment, Baldini was essentially our acting head of recruitment during our Magnificent Seven transfer window (with no-one else in particular to do the role instead) which partly explains the interest in Lamela, given his connections with Roma. It's also shown that identifying the players is not his strongest suit, which is why I'm thrilled we brought in Mitchell and his team.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...brink-levys-reduced-role-inside-the-tottenham

This article also focuses upon Levy taking more of a back seat with the club's transfer policy - meaning a lot more of Baldini dining agents across Europe, and less of Levy running to catch an EasyJet flight with Mido in tow.
As far as the great 'what does Baldini do?' question goes, I could never give a complete answer. I'm focused upon what he brings to our transfer policy; which, as I've said, is going out and getting the deals done. Other Director of Football roles are surely widespread in nature.

So yeah. I don't 'know' with absolutely certainty that my previous post is exactly how things are. But given the information available to us, it's a pretty solid deduction to make.

The explanation I recall with Baldini, when we hired him, was that his years working with Capello meant he had essentially a very large, very well-connected black book which made it very easy to contact clubs and agents to get deals done, with a good deal of human capital along the way through those relationships to grease the wheels.

I don't know how well that's worked out in practice though...

Obscene.
Considering footballing clubs should be measured by success on the field
not fat cat unethical dirty Thatcherism.

( Is this the voice of the Daily Mail ? )
That's how the fans see it. It is a business and huge business at that. You can win every title imaginable, but a shitty organization will crumble at some point.

Back
Top Bottom