Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What a load of fucking garbage. You really are so in Love with ENIC that you credit them with the signing and nurturing of Gareth Bale !!! You really think that when Levy signed the cheque he thought "mmm, this boy`s gonna develop into the most expensive player the world has ever seen" . I think I`d rather credit 2 of the men Levy fired with his development. AVB and to a lesser extent Harry Redknapp. Levy just got lucky. He hit the fucking jackpot. If he`d kept Bale, persuaded him to stay, built a team around him, that actually went on to achieve things then yes, I`d respect ENIC and thank them for Gareth Bale. But I aint gonna respect them or thank them for selling yet another Spurs hero just because the transfer fee broke the world record.
Don't think you can credit Redkanpp with his development. He'd been there 3 years developing before HR arrived. Also, Harry Redknapp touted Bale for sale via his son Jamie. HR did not fancy him much.
Credit goes to Commolli, among others, for that - and for Modric & Berbatov. He also made some not so good buys.
He also got KPB, GDS, Taarabt, Hutton, BAE, Gomes, Corluka, Pav, Bentley & Kaboul.
HR was instrumental in the dismissal of Commolli.
Left to his own devices he made some great signings did Harry.
Anyway, I don't think Levy has any input into the players we buy. He doesn't travel looking at youngsters.
He employs people to do so. Of course he would not have known.

So, maybe Levy should be given a little credit for appointing Commolli. A combined £160m + was made on 3 of his signings with and outlay of just over £30m.

I have been going spurs since the the 70's and I don't know how we were run under Swales, as I was too young to understand, but I can say categorically that ENIC have run this club better than Scholar - the Maxwell bollocks ffs - Venebles & Sugar.
Burkinshaw even said when he left the club's West Stand for the last time "there used to be a football club back there" referring to Scholar, Alexiou(sic) et al.
If you think our club is badly run now it has been run far fucking worse in my time. We could have even ceased to exist. Hey, but we got Lineker and Gazza!
ENIC may be a lot of things, and made some mistakes, but since I have been a Yid they have run this club better than either of the previous mentioned.

What a load of fucking garbage. You really are so in Love with ENIC that you credit them with the signing and nurturing of Gareth Bale !!! You really think that when Levy signed the cheque he thought "mmm, this boy`s gonna develop into the most expensive player the world has ever seen" . I think I`d rather credit 2 of the men Levy fired with his development. AVB and to a lesser extent Harry Redknapp. Levy just got lucky. He hit the fucking jackpot. If he`d kept Bale, persuaded him to stay, built a team around him, that actually went on to achieve things then yes, I`d respect ENIC and thank them for Gareth Bale. But I aint gonna respect them or thank them for selling yet another Spurs hero just because the transfer fee broke the world record.
I bet he didn't sign the cheque saying "mmm, this boy's gonna be shit but I just looooove wasting my money".
If you genuinely think Harry Redknapp has the calibre as a coach to produce one of the worlds best footballers, then you are mad. The bloke is so simple and basic in his approach it's not even debatable. He got us playing well as a team - with some excellent players - but you only have to look at his 'coaching' before and after Spurs to realise he isn't developing young players into superstars.

If Levy would've managed to convince Bale to stay with us over Real Madrid it would eclipse anything Jesus managed!

You don;t't need to respect them - but surely you can see that not only would it have been almost impossible to prevent the move, it would have also been extremely selfish, given the opportunity Bale had.

He was crap before Redknapp moved him up to LW and then later gave him a free role, so I think you can credit him somewhat

He hadnt developed in those three years though.
How do you know he'd not developed?
The man wanted to sell him ffs, then you want to give him credit for seeing Bale wasn't much of a defender but good at crossing? I could see he was good going forward but not much cop at defending.
Most players when they are young start at one position and end up at another. If he wouldn't have told his son to see if anyone would be interested in having him before putting him at LW, then yeah you could say he saw his potential there.
Harry's game was all about getting crosses in. Bale had a decent cross. Only trouble is then most teams would double up on Bale.
If you can credit anyone with making him into the goalscoring machine he was it's AVB, who saw he was wasted out on the left and gave him a free role.

The Bale debate is kind of hard to call. Redknapp probably didn't get it right in the early days and if he had sold hiim it would have stained his reputation for a long time but when he did move him forward you have to give him credit for at least doing that and I would say Bale may not have been ready for the number 10 behind the striker role. I think we have to remember that Bale's development was not as quick as Kane's, it was season after season of improvement.

During the Redknapp era I would also argue that other players like Modric and King were more important, Bale did put on a great show every 3rd or 4th game such as Inter Millan but he had many many average games and I remember Spurs fans moaning at alot of his performances, Modric for me was the star of the Redknapp team, the heartbeat of his team.

With Modric gone and AVB in place, his system seemed to require a player who could turn the slow passing position into chances and he rightly indentified Bale as the man to do it. It helped Bale as he was made the star and given freedom but it also made us a one man team to a certain extent, perhaps both inflating his value and also making him irresistable to the big boys like Real Madrid.

I would say for Bale Redknapp and AVB came at the right time for him.

Where are the sources that harry wanted bale sold?.......oh there arnt any, because it's just complete and utter bullshit. just another stick for the harry haters to beat him with. How on earth people can think avb had more of an influence on bales career is quite simply hillarious.

Can we not just simply except the fact, the both managers had an effect on the type of player he is today. Or better still, if that still is to much to bare for the smaller minded people on here, why don't we just agree, that it was the club as a whole, that helped bale.

Bale did an absolute number on inter home and away. That happened under Redknapp. Like the bollock jowled old cunt or not, bale emerged as a potential world beater under his management.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that but world class is being able to consistanly win games, his form was still up and down, the last 6 months of AVB's reign Bale was becoming brilliant almost every game.

*Potential. We didn't see Bale become a truly world class player until after Redknapp left.
Steady on. The boy was 21 at the time he put 3 past the reigning European Champions away with 10 men in one half of football. Who has done that before or since? That's younger that Harry Kane is now. The world new he was a player before avb had fucked things up at Chelsea. bale would have starred for us in that final season who ever was in charge.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that but world class is being able to consistanly win games, his form was still up and down, the last 6 months of AVB's reign Bale was becoming brilliant almost every game.

As I say, the boy was 23-24 by then. Natural progression.

The overwhelming sense I can recall in watching avb's Spurs was Thank fuck for bale cause we have very little else. Of course that also speaks to bale's talent cos he dominated everything around him.

In case it's lost on you, I miss Gareth bale :(

As I say, the boy was 23-24 by then. Natural progression.

The overwhelming sense I can recall in watching avb's Spurs was Thank fuck for bale cause we have very little else. Of course that also speaks to bale's talent cos he dominated everything around him.

In case it's lost on you, I miss Gareth bale :(

I can get that I miss him too imagine Kane at number 9 and Bale at number 10?

Bale was a man for the hollywood goals like no other. As per previous post I happen to think Redknapp and AVB suited Bale at the times they were here, Redknapp gave Bale an attacking platform to learn and grow into but without throwing all of the burden on his shoulders while he was young, AVB then gave him a free role to go even further in his development.

Bale would be fearsome under Pochettino..

That's a little aside the point. I think if we're talking about ENIC, you can't really judge until they sell the club, I tend to think they will sell the club in a better state than they found it, which means their tenure has been positive.

The Sugar debate is interesting but the alternative chairman at the time was Robert Maxwell, I think we got the better option. He wasn't fantastic but he, like ENIC could be said to have progressed the club. Progress is such a devisive term, it's not just about achieving trophies, it is about building a club, infrastructure and secure incomes because as boring as they are, they are what services the future of the club.

If you view it in trophies ENIC haven't done well, if you look at how the club began as a lower middle league side to a top 6 side, you can see, through bad appointments, errors of judgement too, that overall they have got most of their decisions right. You can't judge them on a poor run of form or a bad performance, sometimes I wish we'd bought better in the transfer market but those all go with the benefit of hindsight, there is not one successful club who have always bought great players in without a duff in sight.

There is a logic that we're not one of the top 4 biggest supported or funded clubs in the league so why would we expect to be there?

Where are the sources that harry wanted bale sold?.......oh there arnt any, because it's just complete and utter bullshit. just another stick for the harry haters to beat him with. How on earth people can think avb had more of an influence on bales career is quite simply hillarious.

Can we not just simply except the fact, the both managers had an effect on the type of player he is today. Or better still, if that still is to much to bare for the smaller minded people on here, why don't we just agree, that it was the club as a whole, that helped bale.
Commolli is the source and it's well known within footballing circles that he asked Jamie to ask around. It's not complete and utter bullshit.
Commolli quotes from an article:
"I've got to say, I've been working with data since 2005 or 2006 in terms of recruitment, we did it at Spurs. We used data in terms of team selection."
"Spurs actually told Harry Redknapp where to play Gareth Bale, because he wanted to get rid of him. Data was showing Bale would be an outstanding left winger when they were playing him at left-back."

Commolli is the source and it's well known within footballing circles that he asked Jamie to ask around. It's not complete and utter bullshit.

Commolli quotes from an article:
"I've got to say, I've been working with data
since 2005 or 2006 in terms of recruitment, we did it at Spurs. We used data in terms of team selection."

"Spurs actually told Harry Redknapp where to play Gareth Bale, because he wanted to
get rid of him. Data was showing Bale would be an outstanding left winger when they were playing him at left-back."

Commoli is a prick, a shit stirring prick at that. As for this " well known in footballing circles " bullshit, it's complete crap mate.

As much as yourself, and many others would like to believe this tosspot ( who by the way, has many an axe to grind with many people) , it is complete and utter bullshit.

At no time did harry ever want to sell bale. Believe it or not, it's the truth.

Did I ask you to believe me? No, but Commoli is a wanker. Martin jol, had many a conversation about bale when harry first arrived, in fact harry was well aware who bale was, when he was at southampton.

There is no doubt they had their issues with bale, regarding with him being light weight etc, but never to the point where they wanted him sold. And as for harry wanting Jamie to try and sell him, that is a beauty, it really is.

Let me ask you, has anyone else besides that french twat Commoli, ever come out and said, the harry wanted bale sold? ....not one is there?

Has anyone else, any other club chairman, scout, dof, or any other players come out and said that they were offered bale to them? All of these people that would of been involved in this deal, not one person apart from frog face himself. Not even bale!!

Surely someone would of come out and said they nearly had the most expensive player in
the world offered to them at some point by harry and Jamie redknapp.....but not one!

Back
Top Bottom