Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

£40m for Maddison is WAY better than £105m for Rice and there is no argument on earth that can convince me otherwise.
I mean it's like saying buying Kevin Wimmer for 4.3M, getting some decent performances out of him when others were injured, and then recouping 18M for him two summers later is a better deal than Virgil van Dijk for 75M.

On one level the transfer market is about value and getting the best deals. On another level football is about having the best players.

I mean it's like saying buying Kevin Wimmer for 4.3M, getting some decent performances out of him when others were injured, and then recouping 18M for him two summers later is a better deal than Virgil van Dijk for 75M.

On one level the transfer market is about value and getting the best deals. On another level football is about having the best players.
Best players for the situation too. Sometimes you overpay if the situation requires and it’s still good value (cost not price)

Hard to let go of that missed opportunity. We had an amazing 11 and completely shit the bed

Agree tho. Early, sensible deals in key positions suggest a step change
Tbf we have been going backwards for years, with others spending big Levy had little choice but to get the checkbook out unless he wanted bottom half and worse to come with Kane leaving the following year. Levy always has spent when back to the wall, it’s when we’ve needed ambition to go for the top he’s went AWOL. Looks like we are aiming to get back competing for Europe monie$ he’s missing so well done him…

I stand by my post 100%. I won’t be kissing gooner bum coz they’ve massively overspent on a vastly overrated bunghole.

Adam Sandler Head Nod GIF

Tbf. Levy’s done well.

£40m for Maddison is good business and pre season hasn’t even started yet.

Son - Kane - Kulusevski
Maddison
Bissouma - Bentancur
With a manager who promotes attacking football. Tasty.
That type of talk is frowned upon in some parts of this forum! :disdain:

Ok, as you're being a dick.

Do you really think signing Rice is better than signing Maddison?

You realise we have also signed a keeper this week too? I struggle to see how you think Woolwich are showing us up?

Now now no need to get personal.

I think that maddison is a good signing for a team desperately lacking creativity and trying to get back into europe.

I think Rice is a good signing for a team that wants to compete to win something who have a clear need for a centre midfielder. It reminds me of when united used to pay top dollar to add a key signing to a strong squad who makes a big difference, e.g. ferdinand, rooney.

We have again signed a goalkeeper as a bit of a punt. Low cost, great season, but known to be poor at catching a football. Time will tell with him.

Geez! Lovely day for the club. Lovely signing. Rumours of some going. Revamp going on nicely. And people still in here sucking off Gooners.

If only we'd spent £105m on a role of less need instead of just £40m to fill a massive gap in our squad.

Cry more.

You've missed the point entirely.

Congrats
You said that Gooners are showing us up.

The reality is that they've spent more that's all.

Rice improves them apparently but they've been proper bent over for Havertz.

Our business so far has been direct and timely, targeting the major deficiencies in our squad.

Will it work out? Hopefully. We'll find out next season but we're doing the business we need to do.

Who gives a fuck what Woolwich do.

You said that Gooners are showing us up.

The reality is that they've spent more that's all.

Rice improves them apparently but they've been proper bent over for Havertz.

Our business so far has been direct and timely, targeting the major deficiencies in our squad.

Will it work out? Hopefully. We'll find out next season but we're doing the business we need to do.

Who gives a fuck what Woolwich do.

I've not said that we should be buying Rice though. He would eat up our entire transfer pot and we have enough cdms.

My main point is we should have been this ambitious when it mattered (Poch, and potentially mourinho/Conte).

I'm seeing the same cycle repeat itself again. One signing are we are all salivating like the club has seen the light and are suddenly being competitive.

Let's see how long this honeymoon period lasts. Bring on the rebuild.

I've not said that we should be buying Rice though. He would eat up our entire transfer pot and we have enough cdms.

My main point is we should have been this ambitious when it mattered (Poch, and potentially mourinho/Conte).

I'm seeing the same cycle repeat itself again. One signing are we are all salivating like the club has seen the light and are suddenly being competitive.

You're right, they are capitalising on their good moment, something we should have done and I'm sure it's something that the board regret however I'm not sure how you're seeing the same cycle again, we have made 3 signings in June and strong links to be adding more in key areas before pre season kicks off, I don't think that's happened before, it's certainly a refreshing change.

There's no point harping on about the past.

We should have kept refreshing the squad. We didn't. We all know it was a travesty.

We've had 3/4 seasons of shit football. It looks like they're trying to change that. And I'm already pretty confident we'll finish above Woolwich next season.

You're right, they are capitalising on their good moment, something we should have done and I'm sure it's something that the board regret however I'm not sure how you're seeing the same cycle again, we have made 3 signings in June and strong links to be adding more in key areas before pre season kicks off, I don't think that's happened before, it's certainly a refreshing change.

I hope you're right.

We've always been partial to having one or two marquee players surrounded by a number of mediocre players. For now that remains true.

The gk is yet to convince me, seen too many of these punts fail.

All in all I'll be shocked if we exit the window without a glaring deficiency.

And I'm already pretty confident we'll finish above Woolwich next season.

You’re one of those “my glass is never empty” type people I find that I come across from time to time.

Bet when people try to sell you life insurance you’re happy to say fuck off I’m going to live forever!!!

Not sure what you’re basing that league finish on but I have to admire your blind optimism.

Tbf we have been going backwards for years, with others spending big Levy had little choice but to get the checkbook out unless he wanted bottom half and worse to come with Kane leaving the following year. Levy always has spent when back to the wall, it’s when we’ve needed ambition to go for the top he’s went AWOL. Looks like we are aiming to get back competing for Europe monie$ he’s missing so well done him…

You’re one of those “my glass is never empty” type people I find that I come across from time to time.

Bet when people try to sell you life insurance you’re happy to say fuck off I’m going to live forever!!!

Not sure what you’re basing that league finish on but I have to admire your blind optimism.
I have life insurance and death in service benefit and union payout. Plenty of cover!

But I'm definitely glass in half full guy - especially when it comes to football which is not important really in the grand scheme of things.

Why go into a brand new season thinking it's gonna be shit? A new season should bring new hope.

And I base it on they were extremely lucky a lot of the time last season. They had an easy start and never really were put under any pressure until the very end when they crumbled. Pressure is on them from the off this season. A couple of bad results and the fans will be on their backs.

And yes...we could be shit. But I'm choosing to believe we're gonna be awesome.

And I base it on they were extremely lucky a lot of the time last season. They had an easy start and never really were put under any pressure until the very end when they crumbled. Pressure is on them from the off this season. A couple of bad results and the fans will be on their backs.

I like this narrative people have firmed about their easy start.

I don’t watch them at all but speaking to people who do they were playing good football.

After 30 games they had won 23 drawn 4 and lost 3. That’s consistency. You can’t tell me all their hard games were in their last 8 matches? Well you can I guess because that’s what people seem to be telling me a lot.

We have some catching up to do and they are spending serious money - again. Rice and Havertz improve them.

Pressure is on them, but pressure is also on us at start well.

I think they have turned into serious contenders. I can remember people saying Poch’s Tottenham team were a flash in the pan. Their squad reminds me of us back then. Young, hungry and getting better as a group.

Optimism will definitely be needed this coming season. And I’m allowing some bedding in time a la poch.

Back
Top Bottom