Lack Of Depth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And Chadli is on the bench while Dembele, Lamela and Eriksen are out there doing great. Of course that counts towards squad depth.
You are using Chadli as a comparison of our bench strength. Chadli is rarely on the bench, only being so due to his time off for bereavement. You're using Chadli as a comparison of how strong our bench strength is, but Chadli has been a consistent starter. Would you use Lamela as bench strength too? Considering he's been on the bench more than Chadli?

Oh, and btw: Check the opening post of the thread and what it starts out saying. Ye, that's right; that our _bench_ lacks quality, obviously refering to the game against Liverpool in particular.
And if you read the thread after, ArcspacE ArcspacE clearly states this has been an issue all year, not just at Liverpool.

You're using a single game to demonstrate something that is an issue the whole season, like using a game in the EL where Lloris, Kane, Bentaleb are rested to demonstrate bench strength.

You are using Chadli as a comparison of our bench strength. Chadli is rarely on the bench, only being so due to his time off for bereavement. You're using Chadli as a comparison of how strong our bench strength is, but Chadli has been a consistent starter. Would you use Lamela as bench strength too? Considering he's been on the bench more than Chadli?

I would use Lamela as bench strength if on the day the question was raised he was on the bench. Wouldn't have worked well to compare goals and assists then, unless Lallana was the starter of the day for Liverpool and Markovic came of the bench.

And if you read the thread after, ArcspacE ArcspacE clearly states this has been an issue all year, not just at Liverpool.

You're using a single game to demonstrate something that is an issue the whole season, like using a game in the EL where Lloris, Kane, Bentaleb are rested to demonstrate bench strength.

For lots of games this season Kane has been on the bench. Would you call him decent? Dier? Dembele? Lamela? Davies? Rose? Stambouli? Worm? Fazio?

We have great squad depth.

I would use Lamela as bench strength if on the day the question was raised he was on the bench. Wouldn't have worked well to compare goals and assists then, unless Lallana was the starter of the day for Liverpool and Markovic came of the bench.
Banging-head-against-the-wall.gif

Oh, and btw: Check the opening post of the thread and what it starts out saying. Ye, that's right; that our _bench_ lacks quality, obviously refering to the game against Liverpool in particular.
No, mate - mostly in general - our bench lacks real quality

We have good depth, but in terms of coming in and slotting into the team or coming off the bench and providing similar traits as the guy you've replaced, we are poor.

Can has been pushed up in their recent games, and he wasnt playing CB he was playing fullback in a 3 man defence. You might have seen him making runs into our box last night.
And my point still stands because whatever he is, he isnt a fucking holding midfielder.
Not going to go back and forth on this. I'll trust what a mate of mine who did watch him a bit in Germany and others who watch him often at Liverpool who say that he is a midfielder being played in a back 3. And as soon as Rodgers goes back to 4 at the back he won't be anywhere near playing full back or centre back.

Ramirez does contribute. You seem to think Im a Paulinho defender. Nope. I have slated him every game he's featured this season. But the point you are ignoring is that while Paulinho maybe shit, and should not be involved in any matchday squad for us ever again, I dont think its realistic to expect the club to have like for like back up throughout every position.
It's not a like for like I am after. Just someone who can contribute something whether starting or coming off the bench. Currently in our squad we don't have anyone other than Stambouli, Mason & Bentaleb at CM who actually contributes positively , and up front we don't have anyone at all other than Kane.

It wasn't an attack on Poch at all. What can he do if he only has 15-18 capable players out of the 23-25 he has? The club set-up isn't like it was under Harry, we all know that, he isn't as hands on in the signing and selling and he will be given time to weed out the shit build his squad to play his way with Mitchell/Baldini. That's what I am talking about the fact that Poch doesn't have the tools available to him yet unlike I'd say every other side in this top 4 race.

Haven't read this thread but isn't our lack of depth ridiculously obvious?

At the start of the season our first team was as uninspiring as our bench. Nothing's changed apart from a some players beginning to shine

Currently in our squad we don't have anyone other than Stambouli, Mason & Bentaleb at CM who actually contributes positively , and up front we don't have anyone at all other than Kane.

And thats my point. You seem to think that having three CMs for two positions, all of whom can do an excellent job is weak.

We have Capoue and Paulinho who can leave....we need on in. What are you expecting? First choice material, or simply bringing in cover? We can have 4 first choice CMs for the two spaces. Dembele is also becoming a first name on the team sheet.

Back up is always going to be weaker than first choice. Paulinho is not back up standard, but you are listing lots of players who are first team players as alternatives. Why would they sit on our bench?

Up top, we are weak as you say. Ive been saying since Septemeber its strikers we need, and that was before Kane was even a real option. Up top we need one more of top quality, and one back up striker.

Last edited:
Back up is always going to be weaker than first choice. Paulinho is not back up standard, but you are listing lots of players who are first team players as alternatives. Why would they sit on our bench?
My point is their backup is a heck a lot better than ours which in my eyes points to a lack of depth for us in that position. Who knows maybe Alli or Veljkovic will come in next season to address this area? But as it currently stands if we go into the 15/16 season with our current depth in CM I can't see how Poch or the squad can be expected to compete for that top 4.

My point is their backup is a heck a lot better than ours which in my eyes points to a lack of depth for us in that position. Who knows maybe Alli or Veljkovic will come in next season to address this area? But as it currently stands if we go into the 15/16 season with our current depth in CM I can't see how Poch or the squad can be expected to compete for that top 4.

Fair enough, I just disagree that we lack depth in central midfield. Capoue has been benched for no apparent reason, when the fact is he started the season extremely well.

Paulinho is our only truely shit central midfielder.

If we got rid of Paulinho, started using Capoue, and simply upgraded Ade, Soldado and replaced Lennon, Id be extremely happy with the summer window personally.

Thats 3 players, two are strikers, which is no secret, and one is a replacement for Lennon, who wasnt even playing.

All this Moutinho and overhaul talk is ridiculous.

Agree with 90% of that, especially the Moutinho talk. My idea would have been for a short-term Parker/Davids type leader to help the kids out. Only thing I'm not sold on is the Capoue being dropped for no reason. The Stoke bust up stories and Kane-led revolution may just be that but there's been a considerably drop in minutes to those mentioned in that story

Fair enough, I just disagree that we lack depth in central midfield. Capoue has been benched for no apparent reason, when the fact is he started the season extremely well.

Paulinho is our only truely shit central midfielder.

If we got rid of Paulinho, started using Capoue, and simply upgraded Ade, Soldado and replaced Lennon, Id be extremely happy with the summer window personally.

Thats 3 players, two are strikers, which is no secret, and one is a replacement for Lennon, who wasnt even playing.

All this Moutinho and overhaul talk is ridiculous.
Be fair, I suggested 3 signings. You've suggested 3. I was hardly talking overhaul. The Moutinho suggestion was being able to have 3 very good CM's available rather than 2 and a solid backup in Capoue. Hardly ridiculous on my part.

Back
Top Bottom