Joshua Onomah

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He hasn't impressed me either during the cameos as an AM for us, due to his lack of offensive sharpness, but that can probably be quite easily explained by the fact that he's more of a CM/DCM-style player and not an attacking mid.

I am rarely impressed by youtube highlight reels or U20-performances, but I have to say that performance against Argentina seemed top class. His style probably relies on being stronger/a better athlete than his opponents, which is probably why he'll need to grow up a bit more and add some more muscles before really impressing for us.

Give him some time, learning from Dembele and Wanyama and Dier, and he'll become magnificent.
He has all the technical ability required to make it. The next stage is more mental than anything IMO. I think he is trying too hard, he has to balance being an aggressive presser and the adrenaline of playing in front of +30k fans. In addition as you say he isn't playing his normal position.

Thought CCV also struggled mentally when he played v Wycomb.

Whilst typing this it's just occurred to me that our young youth prospects will have the ante upped as thier home debuts will be i. Front of 90k and/or 60k from now on.

Last edited:
Onomah looked like a completely different player in those Youtube vides from what I've seen of him in the first team. Definitely see some Dembele influence.

Again though, it just looks like he's bigger and stronger than South Koreans.

Much like his youth, he was bigger and stronger than everyone else which made him harder to knock off the ball and the ability to 'run' games so to speak. A bit like when Jay Emmanual-Thomas would boss youth football or Chelseas youth the past few years.

Its when he gets first team chances where everyone is stronger. Bigger. Fitter is where he tends to struggle.

He isn't better than Dier, Dembele or Wanyama and he has shown to be nowhere near Winks so that makes him fifth choice in his "strongest position" which happens to be the hardest place to play on the pitch.

I know Pochettino doesn't tend to like them but a loan would do him wonders. Preferably in the top flight.

Once again though, u20 football is alot different physically than top flight football or even professional at a high standard. He looks bigger than most of the Costa Ricans.

One thing that is nice is that he's actually being played in his strongest position. Hopefully Pochettino and the rest of the coaching team realise this and stop playing off behind the striker or on the wing.

He's very similar in style to Nzonzi.

Would love him to make it.....I think its last chance saloon so hopefully he has a great wordl cup and gets his confidence back up

I dunno. Last chance saloon sounds harsh on a 20 year old

No one would say U20 directly translates to Premier League. Obviously there's a huge step up in talent, speed, skill and strength.

But, would you rather Onomah be a passenger for the U20s or be a stand-out? I'd say we'd all pick the latter.

Once again though, u20 football is alot different physically than top flight football or even professional at a high standard. He looks bigger than most of the Costa Ricans.

One thing that is nice is that he's actually being played in his strongest position. Hopefully Pochettino and the rest of the coaching team realise this and stop playing off behind the striker or on the wing.

He's very similar in style to Nzonzi.
You seem to be obsessed with size of players (he's a big strong lad). IMO Onomah has been far too physical when he's played in first team, trying too hard and pressing with our intelligence. Playing centrally suits him, it's where he has always played, excelling both deep as a DM or higher up as a 10. But he hasn't been muscled off the ball when played for us, his problem is he has let the game pass him by, never in the right place at the right time probably due to knowledge of the position he has been asked to play (on the right).

His ability, technically, has always been one of those players that looks to find an extra 2 seconds on the ball, makes things look easy, this hasn't been the case when he's come on, he's looked rushed. He needs to control his adrenaline, quite how you do that I have no idea.

You seem to be obsessed with size of players (he's a big strong lad). IMO Onomah has been far too physical when he's played in first team, trying too hard and pressing with our intelligence. Playing centrally suits him, it's where he has always played, excelling both deep as a DM or higher up as a 10. But he hasn't been muscled off the ball when played for us, his problem is he has let the game pass him by, never in the right place at the right time probably due to knowledge of the position he has been asked to play (on the right).

His ability, technically, has always been one of those players that looks to find an extra 2 seconds on the ball, makes things look easy, this hasn't been the case when he's come on, he's looked rushed. He needs to control his adrenaline, quite how you do that I have no idea.

Smoke a fat one 5 mins before kick off?

Would love him to make it.....I think its last chance saloon so hopefully he has a great wordl cup and gets his confidence back up
Don't think it's last chance. His qualities are well known, not just at Spurs but at every club around the country. He is one of the best players in this England squad. It's all about transferring it on the big stage, for me this is what's in your head. Playing in front of 30k is different to playing in front of 2k.

He came off on approx 75min (he wasn't happy with it, no tantrum but a little visible shake of the head....I like that!), England went to shit after that, lost control of midfield, surprise surprise. I haven't seen him play before but Calvert-Lewin (Everton) look a player, Onomah and him linking very well.

Walker-Peters played well too, he had a game long battle with their winger and won most individual battles. He had a couple of poor touches, but produced a brilliant run through 3 or 4 oppo players ending with him being brought down on the edge of the box for the resulting free kick to be hit against the bar.

Agreed.

He is 5th choice and was literally nowhere to be seen at times last season. The season before he was getting a handful of games, starting in cups, coming off in league games. Last season? Meh.

Well and truly down the pecking order. Like I've said though, if he's actually played deeper when he doesn't have to think much, he looks decent. Not sure why Pochettino plays him on the wing or further forward when he isn't particularly good enough to play there.

Agreed.

He is 5th choice and was literally nowhere to be seen at times last season. The season before he was getting a handful of games, starting in cups, coming off in league games. Last season? Meh.

Well and truly down the pecking order. Like I've said though, if he's actually played deeper when he doesn't have to think much, he looks decent. Not sure why Pochettino plays him on the wing or further forward when he isn't particularly good enough to play there.
You could literally be describing Sisdoko there as well!

He's probably second only to edwards in terms of youth prospects over the past few years, city were offering him big money to get him a year or two ago as well. He's as spurs as it gets too so i hope he gets a shot at CM next season

He's probably second only to edwards in terms of youth prospects over the past few years, city were offering him big money to get him a year or two ago as well. He's as spurs as it gets too so i hope he gets a shot at CM next season

I wouldn't count out CCV making a bigger impact this season. If big Kev should be sold and no replacement is brought in, you can bet Poch's confidence in CCV is the reason.

I wouldn't count out CCV making a bigger impact this season. If big Kev should be sold and no replacement is brought in, you can bet Poch's confidence in CCV is the reason.
We're pretty blessed really. After josh we have TOB in CM and at CB we have tanganga who's meant to be even better than what CCV was at the same stage.

Onomah has been playing out of position, mostly because there is less chance of a goal scoring mistake further away from the goal. He has just turned 20 a few weeks ago and has every chance to take Dembele's position in the not too distant future.

It's a very small cross-section of his game and the obvious differences in quality of opposition but just look how he has been bossing the midfield for England. Mousa Dembele does the same thing and I'm sure Onomah has been taking notes on that (so to speak).

Harry Winks is an excellent player but it's physically impossible for him to reach Onomah's stature in terms of size, strength and presence.

I've every confidence in Josh Onomah as well as Harry Winks.

Like others, I think it's too early for talk of last chances. Hes very young still, younger than Winks.

Wouldnt be surprised to see him go on loan to a decent championship or mid table PL team. 30-40 matches in front of big crowds, where the result really matters to your older team mates.

And agree also with the comment re CCV v Wycombe. Looked out of sorts.

He came off on approx 75min (he wasn't happy with it, no tantrum but a little visible shake of the head....I like that!), England went to shit after that, lost control of midfield, surprise surprise.

Apparently he was replaced by some gooner youngster who went on to concede the penalty for the Costa Ricans consolation goal.

Apparently he was replaced by some gooner youngster who went on to concede the penalty for the Costa Ricans consolation goal.
He was, player moved towards ball. Main problem was we lost control of midfield, the control that Onomah was providing. They were able to pass through midfield for almost the first time in the game (they had got around he back a couple of times prior to that). Scoreline didn't reflect the game though, we could have 3 or 4 more goals.

Back
Top Bottom