January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

According to German magazine Kicker we are on the hunt for 26 year old Hoffenheim striker Mark Uth. Uth is entering the final 6 months of his contract and is apparently courted by us, Dortmund, Möchengladbach, Schalke and Southampton.

Uth has 9 goals so far in the Bundesliga this season

According to German magazine Kicker we are on the hunt for 26 year old Hoffenheim striker Mark Uth. Uth is entering the final 6 months of his contract and is apparently courted by us, Dortmund, Möchengladbach, Schalke and Southampton.

Not to loud , City may get worried,
I'e just Googled him.

I follow the Bundesliga regularly, nothing special about him. Good finisher, good positioning, but not a world beater. If he does com I guess Vinny is done

We shouldn't panic.

Man City are untouchable this year, and you can bet your bottom dollar that on a Man United forum somewhere they're having a meltdown because this was meant to be their year...

Transition year. In the mix for a top 4 spot (will see exactly where we are when the magic '19 games played' mark rolls around). In this first half of the season we've had Wembley teething problems, no Lamela until about two weeks ago, basically no Wanyama (who was a lynchpin last year) and no Toby for a while now. In spite of all that, we've actually been amazing in the CL so far.

Tying up Sessegnon would be a big deal long-term. Barkley is a go-er in my opinion (anyone know if Everton's social media has mentioned him at all?) and I think his mind is in the right place if he turned down Chelsea to wait for us.
Say what you like about Levy's usual reluctance to spend in January (because it's true) but the noises Poch has made in recent press conferences would indicate we have plans to invest this coming month. At least we should pray we do - otherwise we'll likely have a frustrated manager on our hands.

That's a Stockholm syndrome quote if I've ever seen one. He's just 31 in a week plus, and plays the most age-kind position on the pitch. I mean, he isn't likely to play to 40 like some...but there's no real reason to think he won't see out his contract at least.

I just think he's no longer undropable and better options are out there. His distribution is really harming us. City's goal keeper creates so many chances from long balls and we could really use that.

Think a lot of work needs to be done personally. Not that I think it will as we rarely make a move in January. Poch kept saying during the summer that "The project has been building up to this year, this is our year", which I found rather worrying. A football club is a project that will need rebuilding every single season - it will never be "complete".

Our right back situation looks poor at this point. Aurier does not chase back enough or work hard enough for me and Trippier is only good in attack.

The Dier situation needs sorting. Poch said Dier will be the best defender in England, but I don't buy it. I think he's a shit defender and a good CM.

Llorente has not impressed, yet at the same time has not been given minutes. Other teams rotate a lot more than we do when it comes to strikers, yet we just play Kane week in week out then wonder why our back up strikers don't ever work out. Need to play with 2 strikers, Kane in AM or simply rest Kane if we want to improve as a squad.

AM, at this point, looks poor. I've never been the biggest fan of Eriksen and if he was as good as many think then he would have left for Barca or such already - yet he hasn't. In fact it doesn't seem like anyone has ever seriously tried to pry him off of us. GKN needs to go and we've been stuck with the same AM for the past 3-4 years. Stagnant in that respect, no one has challenged them.

Rose seems like he's off and, with all respect, looks unfit and not that bothered.

Lloris is getting on and we need to start thinking about the future in that respect.

Toby hasn't signed a new contract and could be off, if memory serves me right so could Jan.

Lot of work to do and I can't help but feel that this team is going to disintegrate and we missed the boat to solidify it. I can't see us winning any cups this year with how mentally weak we look either. Lot to do.

If any of you cunts are going to disagree you could at least have the courtesy to offer a counter point about which bit specifically you disagree with.

We shouldn't panic.

Man City are untouchable this year, and you can bet your bottom dollar that on a Man United forum somewhere they're having a meltdown because this was meant to be their year...

Transition year. In the mix for a top 4 spot (will see exactly where we are when the magic '19 games played' mark rolls around). In this first half of the season we've had Wembley teething problems, no Lamela until about two weeks ago, basically no Wanyama (who was a lynchpin last year) and no Toby for a while now. In spite of all that, we've actually been amazing in the CL so far.

Tying up Sessegnon would be a big deal long-term. Barkley is a go-er in my opinion (anyone know if Everton's social media has mentioned him at all?) and I think his mind is in the right place if he turned down Chelsea to wait for us.
Say what you like about Levy's usual reluctance to spend in January (because it's true) but the noises Poch has made in recent press conferences would indicate we have plans to invest this coming month. At least we should pray we do - otherwise we'll likely have a frustrated manager on our hands.

I tend to agree, with the players you mentioned fit and playing, it would have got us through a few of those draws and had us within touching distance of city however this has highlighted again our lack of depth. If we want to push on we need quality competition on the bench. For me Saturday was crying out for Llorente and Kane up front, someone to own the long balls which at times would have got us out of trouble and given City something different to think about.

I can see us signing one or two in Jan but they will be academy players to keep the talent pool topped up, I can't see us making any big moves... Will this frustrate Poch – who knows?

Apparently Lucas Moura has been given the green light to leave PSG, and a decision on Hatem Ben Arfa is to come within the next couple of days.

Worth having a looksie?

Back
Top Bottom