January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gossip: Zaha, Luiz, Hazard, Mkhitaryan, Coutinho, Ings, Van Dijk

And this would fcuk me off.

And again it's why if we have targets we have to act quickly or risk them going elsewhere.

Pace, trickery and an eye for goal are EVIDENTLY what we need and yet we ponce about.

Yes. I know the player allegedly signed a 100k a week contract (mindblowing in any language) but we needed to make a big enough bid before he committed.

Our model is clear. Buy just below the water line. Zaha has now cone to the surface and we are sunk.

Last edited:
stop being so dramatic

Dramatic in your opinion but in football terms potentially accurate.

As a club we cannot compete with the free spenders so we have to take calculated risks on certain players and hope that Pochettino and his coaching team add the necessary and unseen quality.

Once that quality ekes out we lose our chance.

Our biggest issues this season have been our attacking impotence.

Whatever quality Pochettino has, finding attacking talent from beyond the Premier League, Son aside is not one of them.

I should add that City can surely not be allowed to buy any more players? I mean FFP. Another fcuking soft tool.

Last edited:
Dramatic in your opinion but in football terms potentially accurate.

As a club we cannot compete with the free spenders so we have to take calculated risks on certain players and hope that Pochettino and his coaching team add the necessary and unseen quality.

Once that quality ekes out we lose our chance.

Our biggest issues this season have been our attacking impotence.

Whatever quality Pochettino has, finding attacking talent from beyond the Premier League, Son aside is not one of them.
Zaha had his best season last year - our chance was the season before when we ended up with sissoko and everyone was disgusted with the thought of Zaha when it was first mooted.Think we bid 20 mill and pardew turned it down. Obviously in hindsight it would have been better them sissoko but I'm not losing sleep about zaha - he cant even get a game for england.

Zaha had his best season last year - our chance was the season before when we ended up with sissoko and everyone was disgusted with the thought of Zaha when it was first mooted.Think we bid 20 mill and pardew turned it down. Obviously in hindsight it would have been better them sissoko but I'm not losing sleep about zaha - he cant even get a game for england.

Agree with some of that but his best season is this one because he is doing the business in a poor team. And not getting a game for England is hardly a barometer.

Alli and one or two more of our lot do and well.......

Last edited:
TBF Zaha can't get a game for England since he chose to rep the Ivory coast.

Gossip: Zaha, Luiz, Hazard, Mkhitaryan, Coutinho, Ings, Van Dijk

And this would fcuk me off.

And again it's why if we have targets we have to act quickly or risk them going elsewhere.

Pace, trickery and an eye for goal are EVIDENTLY what we need and yet we ponce about.

Yes. I know the player allegedly signed a 100k a week contract (mindblowing in any language) but we needed to make a big enough bid before he committed.

Our model is clear. Buy just below the water line. Zaha has now cone to the surface and we are sunk.
Such drama for the bbc gossip page. Gossip!

Zaha is being wildly overrated. He's a decent player but he's not going to suddenly make us much better. He has 4 goals and 0 assists this season in the League. The ''woeful'' Dele Alli has 3 goals and 3 assists.

Zaha is probably gone, you have to be blind not to see how good a player he is the type of player we lack.

Anyway let’s get Sessegnon, he can be Zaha in a 1-2 years.

Zaha is being wildly overrated. He's a decent player but he's not going to suddenly make us much better. He has 4 goals and 0 assists this season in the League. The ''woeful'' Dele Alli has 3 goals and 3 assists.

He's been playing in a dog shit team who have been terrible up front though.

I watched the Leicester game at the weekend and he showed his class again (although Leicester made Townsend look like a player so probably not a great litmus test).

His pace and ability on the ball are clear. Hes now added strength to his game and if he bulks up even more as every other player under Poch has he can a very good player for us imo.

And to clarify my position i'm not one of these moany old twats in the stands who thinks "we should have never sacked Redknapp" and "a tricky winger with some pace who can whip some balls in" is the magic answer to breaking teams down that has somehow alluded all the coaching staff.

We've been playing some of our best football on the counter this year. We're struggling to stretch teams on the front foot like we used to without Walker and with Rose not back to form yet (if ever). Im not saying Zaha is the answer to the later, but at the moment the only player we have with a degree of pace and who can beat a man is Son. Zaha will certainly give us another option and won't need 6 months to a year to acclimatise like a signing from outside the PL might.

I dont know whether he will work out long term, its a calculated risk, as are most signings.

Last edited:
Zaha is probably gone, you have to be blind not to see how good a player he is the type of player we lack.

I'd actually said I wouldn't mind him when our interest was first reported. I just don't see us paying 40mill for him to come and probably be an impact sub.

Good call on Zaha. An evidently good player getting better.

The only issue with his is a questionable injury record.

But we need 4 or 5 players of his level who we can mould and develop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom