January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ade and Soldado are not suitable back up.

Just over a week left to strengthen our position in January for the first time in a very long time.
We all know how this pans out though, Poch already making the party speeches

Ade and Soldado are not suitable back up.

Just over a week left to strengthen our position in January for the first time in a very long time.
We all know how this pans out though, Poch already making the party speeches

Yep, imagine a situation today where we had a Remy. Not the most amazing striker in the world, but a player like this would give Poch the option to put out a team like he did today against a lesser team and feel like we have some firepower on the pitch to score goals. He puts Soldado out knowing it is futile. He will not score. That is not Poch's fault because he has to save Kane for the coming game. But he has no good alternatives available to him. Why oh why can Levy not put out for a £10M striker to supplement the squad? I think we need to shift the likes of Soldado now because it must be bringing the rest of the squad down.

Ok so now we've had it proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that our fringe and secondary players aren't good enough can we please invest? Maybe in the striker we've needed since Berbatov fucked off? Maybe in replacing the wage thieves with players that give damn? Oh that's right, Levy! As you were chaps

Well, as I said a while back in this thread if we don't get more players in, prepare for the vale of tears and gnashing of teeth. And tonight it begins (in virtual/metaphorical terms anyway) across Spursdom.

Make straight the path for the words of Greavesie, verily I tell thee.:thumbup:

Once Again ENIC are leading us from the way of trophies into the slough of despair, while their investment grows like the lilies of the fields, or summat like that :coys:

Desperately need new signings
18335722-dog-going-to-school-balancing-books-and-apple.jpg

Please just sell Capure, Soldado, Ade, Paulinho and Kaboul.

I dont care if we only get 20mil for all of them (I know it doesn't work like that). Aside from Woolwich away where Kaboul was immense, they have all been utterly terrible. It would also be a huge chunk off the wage bill.

Well, as I said a while back in this thread if we don't get more players in, prepare for the vale of tears and gnashing of teeth. And tonight it begins (in virtual/metaphorical terms anyway) across Spursdom.

Make straight the path for the words of Greavesie, verily I tell thee.:thumbup:

Once Again ENIC are leading us from the way of trophies into the slough of despair, while their investment grows like the lilies of the fields, or summat like that :coys:

What you fail to understand, repeatedly, is that ENIC do spend. They have spend a lot.

Just because the buys were not all suitable, and they recouped money to keep us self sufficient, it doesnt mean they dont spend.

The biggest criticism I have of Levy (other than Stratford) is that he is clueless when it comes to the timing of transfers and backing the managers targets. But he does spend.

Your argument is a bit changing the left front tyre, when the right one is flat....you are in the right ball park, but its all just a bit off.

The reason I make fun out of this thread every time, 250 pages, 5000 posts is that yeah would be great to get someone in - but who???

United, Woolwich, Liverpool, Everton would love to get players in, but WHO in January would leave a team halfway through a season and join us and would be a vast improvement on what we have?!

would need to be a big merry go round of signings for us to take advantage and i dont see it, waste of time, nothing will happen

If any of the likes of Adebayor, Capoue, Kaboul, Chiriches, Paulinho leave the club the reaction will be nothing more than a shoulder shrug from me.

The reason I make fun out of this thread every time, 250 pages, 5000 posts is that yeah would be great to get someone in - but who???

United, Woolwich, Liverpool, Everton would love to get players in, but WHO in January would leave a team halfway through a season and join us and would be a vast improvement on what we have?!

would need to be a big merry go round of signings for us to take advantage and i dont see it, waste of time, nothing will happen

Personally, I dont see it beyond the realms of reality for us to have got in someone like Berahino, Bentek or Ings this window. We have known for years we need strikers.

It feels like Levy waits until mid Jan to target anyone (probably doesnt), but surely any talks should or could be at an advanced stage by now, if we started in time.

What you fail to understand, repeatedly, is that ENIC do spend. They have spend a lot..
No, they spend fuck all. There is no net spend. They just re-invest incoming funds for other players. Its why we are in a never ending cycle of falling short of our expectations. Just to clarify. ENIC to not put any net investment into the team whatsoever. If they cannot raise the funds from player sales, they will not strengthen the side. I`m not just saying this to cause an argument, we see it in practice every single fucking season.

Personally, I dont see it beyond the realms of reality for us to have got in someone like Berahino, Bentek or Ings this window. We have known for years we need strikers.

It feels like Levy waits until mid Jan to target anyone (probably doesnt), but surely any talks should or could be at an advanced stage by now, if we started in time.

Great options but they aren't gonna let them go though, would be suicide for all 3 clubs, the clubs wont sell them, and you and I know sammy deep down thats not the position Levy likes to deal in, in the summer though its different ball game.

Close this thread until summer, and I would get as much pleasure seeing the wasters leave too, then Poch can build his side, a miracle he has done this well to be honest when you look at the people involved

No, they spend fuck all. There is no net spend. They just re-invest incoming funds for other players. Its why we are in a never ending cycle of falling short of our expectations. Just to clarify. ENIC to not put any net investment into the team whatsoever. If they cannot raise the funds from player sales, they will not strengthen the side. I`m not just saying this to cause an argument, we see it in practice every single fucking season.

See thats the balance here....if I sell my car for 10grand, and spend 10grand on another one, Ive spent the money.

If my next car is shit, thats another story but I still spent.

Cannot wait for the summer cull. So many players kicking about that aren't fit for the shirt.

This year has been really fun because we've found a likable team with the likes of Mason, Kane, Bentaleb, Eriksen and Chadli solidifying them as real good and likable players to go along with Walker, Vertonghen and Lloris. But Christ when we have to rely on anyone else other than our starting eleven we are borderline doomed.

I really like what Pochettino has been able to do. I don't think Sir Alex Ferguson could win league 1 with the likes of Chiriches, Kaboul, Soldado, Adebayor, Capoue, and Paulinho as his core. The Bale money was squandered faster than a crackhead with a tenner. I know we've been over it and over it but it is stunning how we threw that money away except with Eriksen (who might not have happened had we signed Willian ). This summer better see Pochettino and Mitchell get the license to build their side. Really though, thank god for our academy. Imagine where we would be without Kane, Mason, and Bentaleb. Townsend at least hits a good Peno too.

Last edited:
See thats the balance here....if I sell my car for 10grand, and spend 10grand on another one, Ive spent the money.

If my next car is shit, thats another story but I still spent.
18 of the other 19 Prem clubs have a positive net spend on transfers of the last 5 years (swansea being the only other negative spenders apart from us.) So, that tells me had we been just a little more ambitious we could have achieved more, and also leads me to ask you....Where`s all the fucking money gone. (please try and answer without mentioning the words "new" and "stadium")

18 of the other 19 Prem clubs have a positive net spend on transfers of the last 5 years (swansea being the only other negative spenders apart from us.) So, that tells me had we been just a little more ambitious we could have achieved more, and also leads me to ask you....Where`s all the fucking money gone. (please try and answer without mentioning the words "new" and "stadium")

What do you mean, where is all the money? We spent it. Thats what Im trying to say. Where do you think the Bale money went. It went on seven new signings.

We just sold Naughton, and within 24hrs gave Mason and Lloris better contracts..

I agree, we can be more ambitious....but I wasnt complaining about ambition when we spent 75M on Lamela, Soldado and Paulinho......how was we to know that they'd be worth a combined 20M within two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom