January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the latest football weekly rafa honnigstein (sp?) said that English football still hasn't learned that it's not always just a case of needing to buy 'better' players every time you're team is struggling. Instead the focus should always be on better coaching, to improve and get the most out of the players you already have, as a collective unit.

I think poch is a coach who can pull this kind of thing off. I like the fact that there don't seem to be any players in our squad who are totally frozen out by him. (Excluding bae which is a club matter and ade who has his own issues.)
It seems that everyone gets a chance to play on merit.

So with that in mind, other than perhaps another striker, I think I'd be happy for us to not have too much of an overhaul in January.
By the end of the season he should know who can fit his style if play, or is willing to be coached into doing so.

Some itk -

'Marv'
25/12/14

My source which is very reliable tells me we have agreed a fee with Espanyol for Hector Moreno, just trying to offload a few now to open a spot for him and his wages, will slowly replace Vertonghen in the starting 11...

There you go you bunch of cunts enjoy that Christmas present!

Why TF would we want to "replace" Vertonghen? He is our best defender, just about. We should build around him, rather.

I despair at the number of people who think we are too good for him. Him, Hugo and Eriksen are likely to be the 3 next to be hunted down by sugardaddy clubs.

Why TF would we want to "replace" Vertonghen? He is our best defender, just about. We should build around him, rather.

I despair at the number of people who think we are too good for him. Him, Hugo and Eriksen are likely to be the 3 next to be hunted down by sugardaddy clubs.
Im not sure why, I don't do ITK just saw it posted somewhere and put it hear, Im guessing the reason we might want to replace him is because when an attacker runs at him he always sprints back to goal to tell his 'Mummy' Hugo Boss.

I don't want Vert gone and hope we try to keep him, but there is the possibility he doesn't want to be here and/or sign a new deal.

On the latest football weekly rafa honnigstein (sp?) said that English football still hasn't learned that it's not always just a case of needing to buy 'better' players every time you're team is struggling. Instead the focus should always be on better coaching, to improve and get the most out of the players you already have, as a collective unit.

I think poch is a coach who can pull this kind of thing off. I like the fact that there don't seem to be any players in our squad who are totally frozen out by him. (Excluding bae which is a club matter and ade who has his own issues.)
It seems that everyone gets a chance to play on merit.

So with that in mind, other than perhaps another striker, I think I'd be happy for us to not have too much of an overhaul in January.
By the end of the season he should know who can fit his style if play, or is willing to be coached into doing so.

Hilarious how some people who want Schniderlin have agreed with this

I wouldn't mind Schneiderlin but for £25-30m or whatever he'd cost I think that's way, way too much. I'd much rather look into getting someone like Cabaye on a shorter contract.

Why make this about another point scoring dig? Do you think we should buy a whole load of new players or should we trust poch to coach the current lot to greatness?
Its time for Levy to buy the players that the manager wants, so trusting Poch has to occur or sell us to the Arabs.

Why make this about another point scoring dig? Do you think we should buy a whole load of new players or should we trust poch to coach the current lot to greatness?

Agreed. You can agree with the point and still want a player who was already been coached for 18 months by Pochettino. It's just pointless shit stirring.

Its time for Levy to buy the players that the manager wants, so trusting Poch has to occur or sell us to the Arabs.

An artful amalgamation of Jimmy's options, hah. Which is probably the best way of thinking about it. A mixture of putting trust in our current players, but also trusting the manager by going for players if he feels he needs them.

An artful amalgamation of Jimmy's options, hah. Which is probably the best way of thinking about it. A mixture of putting trust in our current players, but also trusting the manager by going for players if he feels he needs them.

Agreed poch probably knows within the current squad who has the potential and thoses that don't we should sell and get the players he wants. I can't imagine we will be buying that many in Jan anyway.

In regards to coaching it obviously works with players who have the natural talent, however it's not like poch can coach average players in to prem title winners and if he can hes a genius.

Agreed poch probably knows within the current squad who has the potential and thoses that don't we should sell and get the players he wants. I can't imagine we will be buying that many in Jan anyway.

In regards to coaching it obviously works with players who have the natural talent, however it's not like poch can coach average players in to prem title winners and if he can hes a genius.

Your last comment is sort of the crux of my point though. We are all conditioned to think that all we have to do is buy world class players and we can be title contenders. And that is the model being applied in this country and by the richest teams in the world. But it is possible to create a very strong team from second/third tier players provided they work solidly as a unit and can be coached to be a sum greater than their parts.
Dortmund and Seville or even Greece in the euros were a fine example of that.

Your last comment is sort of the crux of my point though. We are all conditioned to think that all we have to do is buy world class players and we can be title contenders. And that is the model being applied in this country and by the richest teams in the world. But it is possible to create a very strong team from second/third tier players provided they work solidly as a unit and can be coached to be a sum greater than their parts.
Dortmund and Seville or even Greece in the euros were a fine example of that.

Yeh I get what you mean, if that's the way then Poch might be the solution, we have a very very young team, our front six is mason, bentaleb, lamela, eriksen, Chadli and Kane who are all young and talented and poch has a reputation of helping young players.

For me it's the senior players like ade, soldado, paulinho, dembele, Capoue and so on who have not shown up as much and if these are the guys for the chop as rumoured then I personally think we only need one or two high quality replacements. A benteke and schniederlin to add class and experience to our young team and also to give us some back up if Kane gets injured, the rest is patience.

Point scoring?

No, simply pointing out that its fairly hilarious that people who disagreed with me that I wouldnt rather not sign Schniderlin in order to develop our young midfield duo of Bentaleb and Mason and build some loyalty and character at the club (and also the fact I pointed out that when Capoue and Demebele play to their peak, I dont see MS as a better player)....suddenly agree with your post that we should put more effort into coaching the squad we already have, and not sign more players.

Personally, I think there should be a balance to everything. Its not either or.

The squad needs improving in certain areas, and those are the areas I would buy, especially considering outgoings.

Probably wont happen in January, but my ideal list of priority signings (again as you clearly didnt read my post a couple of pages back in the discussion about MS.....which begs the question why you decided to have a pop at me for agreeing with your post....oh well) are as follows:

Two strikers
Out and out winger
CB
Ball winning CM destroyer

Again...thats dependent on players who may be leaving, like Capoue, Vlad, Paulinho, Ade etc etc, and what I feel is lacking from our game.

Out of the whole squad, the only players I would actively replace as a top priority today, are Ade and Soldado as I feel its not going to happen for them.

Last edited:
Agreed. You can agree with the point and still want a player who was already been coached for 18 months by Pochettino. It's just pointless shit stirring.

Haha....ok.....I dont want signings as I believe in coaching the current squad, but I think we should sign players to boost the squad because they have been coached in the past

:pochfacepalm:

Point scoring?

No, simply pointing out that its fairly hilarious that people who disagreed with me that I wouldnt rather not sign Schniderlin in order to develop our young midfield duo of Bentaleb and Mason and build some loyalty and character at the club (and also the fact I pointed out that when Capoue and Demebele play to their peak, I dont see MS as a better player)....suddenly agree with your post that we should put more effort into coaching the squad we already have, and not sign more players.

Personally, I think there should be a balance to everything. Its not either or.

The squad needs improving in certain areas, and those are the areas I would buy, especially considering outgoings.

Probably wont happen in January, but my ideal list of priority signings (again as you clearly didnt read my post a couple of pages back in the discussion about MS.....which begs the question why you decided to have a pop at me for agreeing with your post....oh well) are as follows:

Two strikers
Out and out winger
CB
Ball winning CM destroyer

Again...thats dependent on players who may be leaving, like Capoue, Vlad, Paulinho, Ade etc etc, and what I feel is lacking from our game.

Out of the whole squad, the only players I would actively replace as a top priority today, are Ade and Soldado as I feel its not going to happen.
Is it me misunderstanding something here? You're having a dig at us who'd like to see Schneiderlin signed, saying that you want to see the Mason Bentaleb partnership developed, yet you want us to sign a "ball winning CM destroyer"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom