Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he is just waiting to see who Poch has in mind as his starter CB's and it strikes me at how easy people jump to conclusions

He hasnt said anything wrong about the club, the fans or the manager but people are already giving up/ judging him

My guess is that blokey knows how Levy works. If he signs a new contract then that's another 10 mil that Barca or whoever are gonna have to pay for him. If he doesn't sign a new contract then Levy's gonna be more inclined to sell him to maximize profit because the last thing that tight fisted bastard wants is for his value to decrease due to fewer contracted years at the club. Either way, Jan's pissed me off. Ruined by afternoon. Insert knee jerk 'Bench the fucker' overreaction here.

Fits. I think he always saw us as a waystop in his career. If he doesn't want to play for us, that's fine, Levy can commit larceny on some other club while selling him, and we can find a better replacement.

He could have signed for Woolwich but he signed for us.

He said before THIS season that Spurs can achieve everything he wants to get from the game on a personal level.

If you want to assassinate his character based on speculation, you need to calm yourself.

He said before THIS season that Spurs can achieve everything he wants to get from the game on a personal level.

If you want to assassinate his character based on speculation, you need to calm yourself.
How on earth am I assassinating his character? He's a professional football player. He's not in this for fun, he's in it to make money and win trophies. Did he grow up in love with the club? No. Does he likely dream of playing for and against the biggest clubs in Europe? Yes. Is he going to at Spurs? Probably not while in his prime. He's got a career to think of, and he may very well want to move on to somewhere else. I don't begrudge him this. As a professional it's what he has to do. I imagine a lot of other players want to do the same, at just about every club. They aren't fans, they're doing this for a living.

Fyi i was just posting the news dont shoot me :) i would link but i dunno if i can from the skysports app, he didnt say anything detrimental to the club and to be honest seeing that useless cunt vlad and kaboul start ahead of him would probably piss me off too.

Yeah, moody fucker that had a really good first season for us.
I'm not defending him for one minute but what was he sold by Levy when he joined us? We'll be challenging? Champions League more often than not? Having to play with Paulinho/Chiriches etc. has probably tipped him over the edge. Didn't he join when Modric was here and he still had a season with Bale?

Easily our best center back so hopefully we'll keep hold of him. Also looks to have regained his first season form so I think he should be starting in the prem sooner rather than later.

As for being slagged off, he has many years left on his contract and I remember people complaining about him being money grabbing when it was mentioned he might sign a new one, so this reaction is very harsh.

Its not as if contracts really mean anything at the end of the day, apart from us getting some dosh if someone else is interested in buying. Didn't Bale sign a new contract five minutes before he buggered off to RM? I don't Jan is in it for the long haul for us, and a small part of me doesn't really blame him - if he can't make the first team before Vlad, then he is entitled to feel aggrieved (posh for pissed off).

Its not as if contracts really mean anything at the end of the day, apart from us getting some dosh if someone else is interested in buying. Didn't Bale sign a new contract five minutes before he buggered off to RM? I don't Jan is in it for the long haul for us, and a small part of me doesn't really blame him - if he can't make the first team before Vlad, then he is entitled to feel aggrieved (posh for pissed off).

I think the reason Chiriches started in front of him against West Brom was because of the contract issue.
Could be completely wrong like...

I think Jan mentally checked out when Bale was sold and things started turning ugly with AVB and the magnificent seven. That said I think he's a class defender, and we'll miss him if he goes in the summer. Fazio looks like he could be good, but early days, jury's out of Vlad, Kaboul... who knows too. Dier might be good one day.

Fact is, he's the best CB at the club right now, personality/desire/attitude aside, would be a shame to lose him.

Do people really believe Poch is playing Vlad over Vert for any reason other than post WC fitness/injury niggles?

Because I don't tbh.

Nah. He's obviously not being played because there has been a stand off on his contract negotiations. He's our best CB without a doubt.

Awkward.....
vertonghen-fullkit.jpg

Our best CB bar none - the vilification is laughable considering he's said or done nothing to justify such behaviour. Same as Paulinho - fans have made their mind up already, 2 games into the season. Joke.

Last edited:

I think if Jan had been a model pro last season, and played with the same determination as Dawson did, and had not gifted several goals with his sloppy, nonchalant attitude, and didnt talk in the papers about how he doesnt like playing LB, and also been rumoured as one of the players who gave Levy an ultimatum about sacking Sherwood......then maybe people would be more inclined to take his contract refusal with a pinch of salt.

Back
Top Bottom