How to achieve 68 points?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

eanN17

Supporter
First of all, I just recently started listening to the Fighting Cock-podcast after fellow yiddo recommended it to me. I'm enjoying it and I also love the 1882-movement. I've been on the Spurs-list since the mid-90s (mailinglist) and since 2008 I have also been on the Spurs Odyssey forum. I also write some articles for the Norwegian Spurs Supporter's magazine.

Secondly, apologies for making such a long thread as my very first one. Hope you'll enjoy it though.

No team finishing 5th has ever achieved more than 67 points since the Premier League became a 20 team league. Just to make it a bit interesting I'll have a look at what the various teams need to get to 68 points (enough to beat 67 points) and therefore, from a historic viewpoint enough to qualify for the top4.

3. Chavs G26 P49
Chavs need another 19 points from 12 games. Their form over the previous 12 games gave them 23 points.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,88
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 1,92
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 1,58
Home games remaining: 6: West Bromwich, West Ham, Sunderland, Spurs, Swansea, Everton
Away games remaining: 6: Man City, Fulham, Southampton, Liverpool, Manchester United, Aston Villa

Two of their home games against rivals for top4, but the rest of them should be winnable. Away games look tougher with a derby vs Fulham, two tough trips to Manchester and Liverpool. Even Southampton can be tricky on their day and Villa might still be fighting relegation when they meet them. They will look to get most of their points at home, but narrow favourites to land 3rd place still.

4. Spurs G26 P48
Spurs need another 20 points from 12 games. OUR form over the previous 12 games gave us 25 points, which is the best form out of the 5 teams I have compared.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,85
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 2,08
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 1,67
Home games remaining: 6: NLD, Fulham, Everton, Man City, Southampton, Sunderland
Away games remaining:6: West Ham, Liverpool, Swansea, Chelsea, Wigan, Stoke

Tough fixture list ahead. Good news is that we had the best form over the past 12 games from the 5 teams. Should be possible to get three wins against Southampton, Sunderland and Fulham. One win and a draw vs the likes of Woolwich, Everton and City should also be possible. If we can do that we need 7 more points from away trips. West Ham is an important one of course, but Wigan and Swansea look the easiest on paper. Liverpool, Chelsea and Stoke will all be very hard, but 3-4 points are possible. You feel that somewhere between 7 points and 10 points should be achieveable. With 10 points away we would need only 10 points from our home fixtures. Doesn't look all too bad does it?

5. Scum G26 P44
Scum need another 24 points from 12 games. Their form over the previous 12 games gave them 23 points.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,69
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 1,92
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 2,00
Home games remaining: 6 Aston Villa, Everton, Reading, Norwich, Man United, Wigan
Away games remaining:6: NLD, Swansea, WBA, Fulham, QPR, Newcastle

4 of their home fixtures look quite winnable and that might get them 12 points there. I can see them getting at least a point from Everton and United too, so that would leave them to get 11 points from their travels. Spurs is obviously a tough one for them, but Fulham, Newcastle and QPR could prove tricky too. Swansea is a team they have struggled with at times and who can forget the result in the reverse fixture? Away day on the last day of the season vs Newcastle while we play Sunderland at home. 24 points from 12 games mean they will have to match our form from the past 12 games. It ain't over, but we are still narrow favourites ahead of the Scum

6. Everton G26 P42
Everton need another 26 points from 12 games. Their form over the previous 12 games gave them 20 points and that included beating us. We have still achieved 5 points more than them despite losing that game
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,62
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 1,67
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 2,17
Home games remaining: 6: Reading, Man City, Stoke, QPR, Fulham, West Ham
Away games remaining:6: Norwich, Woolwich, Spurs, Sunderland, Liverpool. Chelsea

Now Everton really needs to find form to beat the rivals above them. They will need a stunning 2,17 points per game for the remaining fixtures which would mean 82 points over a season. Not something I usually would expect from Everton to be honest. Looking at their home fixtures I'd say that Reading, Fulham, Stoke, West Ham and QPR are all winnable, but I can't see them winning them all and I can't see them beating City either, perhaps they'll get a point. Still, 13 points from 6 games is possible. The problem though is that they would need to replicate that form away from home as well. Going to Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool and Spurs will all be very tough trips. They probably needs to get 7 points or more points from those fixtures. Everton have got a very tough task on their hand. Not writing them off entirely, but it's a long shot.

7. Liverpool G27 P39
Liverpool need another 29 points from 12 games. Their form over the previous 12 games gave them 20 points, like Everton.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,44
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 1,67
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 2,42
Home games remaining: 5: Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea, Everton, QPR
Away games remaining: 6: Wigan, Southampton, Aston Villa, Reading, Newcastle, Fulham

Liverpool have a relatively easy looking fixture list ahead. They have a few problems though. The first one being 9 points behind 4th place with one more games played. The second one is having one less home game than the rest. Not only do they need to find some form, we're talking form that would give them 92 points over a season. They would need 29 points more this season of 33 maximum achieveable. 29 points could come from wins and two draws. Zero defeats. I think Liverpool need to hope for all the teams ahead of them collapsing. I can't really see that happening.

COME ON YOU SPURS!

You should search this forum for some posts Sibs Sibs created last year about how many points required for us to finish 4th, I think you'd enjoy them. Cheers for the analysis :)

Thanks mate, I'll have a look. I have been doing a thread at Spurs Od the past few seasons where I have done that too. This season I have been focusing on how our points tally have compared to last season. Currently we are 3 points ahead, so it would give us 72 points at the end of the season if we could match our results from last year in the remaining 12 games. After 26 games last season we had 53 points though. Interestingly, we had only two points more after 30 games!

tumblr_mcmiovub6E1r4umjo.gif

Nope. This reminds me too much of the 'don't panic' thread, which in the end caused me a fuck load of panic. I refuse to be a part of this any longer.

Nope. This reminds me too much of the 'don't panic' thread, which in the end caused me a fuck load of panic. I refuse to be a part of this any longer.

As long as we leave the "mind the gap" bollocks from last season I'm happy, because that really came back to haunt us. It's a long way to go, but the above shows that Everton and especially Liverpool have very difficult job ahead of them. In Liverpool's case close to impossible.

I'm probably insane, most likely option, but if Holtby is as good as he has looked and performs at that level, Ade play decent, Defoe can come back and play decent (that means they are both scoring, not necessary to play Great, but enough to get by), Bale to maintain form (obvious a little dip, because no one can maintain his current form, but for him to maintain a top 3 EPL player in each game), Lloris play his top flight level, and everyone maintain their form, i can see 78 points. I don't think many of these things are likely, (i can see Bale having a game or two off, which is to be expected and okay; Who knows about Ade or Defoe; Holtby didn't look as good when he started, rather then from off the bench)

If everything goes right for Chelsea (which won't, because when Benitez gets sacked, their current decent form will go down) i see 75 points. If everything does right for City (which it won't, they will fuck it up) i see 81 points I think all 3 totals are higher then what the actual point totals will be, but my point of this is, i think as of right now, if third isn't ours, it's a dissapointment, and we should be pushing for 2nd.

I've never seen Everton as the team to worry about this season. To me it's Woolwich, it's always Woolwich :)

Finish above them and we'll get top 4 IMHO

If they get 66 points 67 will do it, if they 67, then etc.

Not sure if any one else has mentioned it yet but...what if we secure fourth place and Woolwich win the Champions League. (This has been tumourousely growing in the back of my head since December, apologies if im planting this cancerous thought in any of your beautiful minds for the first time) :niko:

Not sure if any one else has mentioned it yet but...what if we secure fourth place and Woolwich win the Champions League. (This has been tumourousely growing in the back of my head since December, apologies if im planting this cancerous thought in any of your beautiful minds for the first time) :niko:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH, Woolwich winning silverwear.... Now that's a good one...

Back
Top Bottom