How many points do we get in November?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Chelsea are a shambles and it might take Klopp some time to get Liverpool back on track. You just know that West Ham and Leicester are going to drop off. This may be our best chance in years to retake a CL spot.
While I'd be inclined to concur in the past we always have survived much longer than the annual surprises because of the depth in our squad - I'm not yet convinced that our squad depth is as strong even as last season, the first XI is better but beyond that. I think this coming week will tell us a lot about our squad until January when/if we get some additions to the squad.

Not saying we shouldn't have shifted them but in the last two seasons we've lost; Dawson, Kaboul, Chiriches, Paulinho, Siggurdson, Friedel, Sandro, Naughton, Capoué, Stambouli, Soldado, Adebayor, Lennon, Holtby and Falque. But their departures means our squad is not significantly or even slightly larger than the squads of Leicester and in particular West Ham.

With luck Bentaleb will be back and remind us how good he is, biggest week of the season so far coming up.

Villa + Woolwich
Lloris

Walker - Alderweireld - Veronghen - Rose

Dier - Alli

Son - Dembele - Eriksen

Kane
Anderlecht
Vorm

Tripper - Wimmer - Fazio - Davies

Bentaleb - Carroll

Lamela - Mason - Townsend

N'Jie​

...their departures means our squad is not significantly or even slightly larger than the squads of Leicester and in particular West Ham

Intentional from Pochettino, perhaps? You show in your post how we have cover in every position; has Poch tightened up our squad on purpose, to keep a close knit group? Even with several out (Mason, Son, Bentaleb, Dier, Pritchard) we still fielded a decent side against Liverpool with Dembele and Alli stepping up. Do we need much more depth than that?

I think that as long as Clinton comes along a little more, or Son proves himself capable of playing up top, we've got a decent squad size there already.

Intentional from Pochettino, perhaps? You show in your post how we have cover in every position; has Poch tightened up our squad on purpose, to keep a close knit group? Even with several out (Mason, Son, Bentaleb, Dier, Pritchard) we still fielded a decent side against Liverpool with Dembele and Alli stepping up. Do we need much more depth than that?

I think that as long as Clinton comes along a little more, or Son proves himself capable of playing up top, we've got a decent squad size there already.
We have cover on paper yes, however for a full rotation we're very vulnerable. We saw against Anderlecht what Trippier and Davies are like, we also know how little protection Townsend and Lamela give (he comes back when the other team have the ball but he leaves our righback very isolated) I also cannot see where goals come from in that second team. I hope I am proved wrong but it is that even though Soldado and Adebayor weren't great (that is too kind) at times they were able to pop up with a goal from time to time, particularly outside of the Premier League. They contribute 57 goals at Spurs between them. Heck Paulinho and Siggurdson got a combined 23 goals from their time with us.

To clarify my position, that second string screams 'vulnerable to attack' and 'very weak and unsubstantial in attack'. We've gotten rid of non-starters who've got us 80 goals and failed to have players in reserve capable of matching that.

Edit: I now want to make a montage of all 80 goals scored by that bunch, maybe chuck Dempsey in so we have 93 goals.

Well I suppose I don't consider it as a 1st and 2nd XI, I much prefer gradual rotation of all players, so I more look at them as individual back-ups to our first team. On FIFA I have two separate teams, IRL I'd rather rotate one or two per game.

And whilst I agree with you that our second string isn't as formidable as our first, I think we, in the position we're in (both current club stature and wage limits), we can't expect to do much better. We've taken a stance of saying we'll give our young players (aka cheap talent) a chance with the hope of them developing into better players. Might not be ideal for us today, but in the years leading up to our stadium move it's a sound strategy for the medium term.

Well I suppose I don't consider it as a 1st and 2nd XI, I much prefer gradual rotation of all players, so I more look at them as individual back-ups to our first team. On FIFA I have two separate teams, IRL I'd rather rotate one or two per game.

And whilst I agree with you that our second string isn't as formidable as our first, I think we, in the position we're in (both current club stature and wage limits), we can't expect to do much better. We've taken a stance of saying we'll give our young players (aka cheap talent) a chance with the hope of them developing into better players. Might not be ideal for us today, but in the years leading up to our stadium move it's a sound strategy for the medium term.

I'd agree.
I'd say only Lloris, Walker, Toby&Jan, Eriksen, Son & Kane would be in everyone's first choice XI:
Most probably prefer Rose but I have to say this season I think Davies has made the whole defense look stronger.
- Dier has been immense and I'd have in my line up but Bentalab was possibly my favourite player last year
- Alli has been a revelation but it's 50:50 between him and Mason
- Lamela or Dembele

And that's not to mention Trippier (who most people were creaming over); Wimmer who looks promising; Chadli; N'Jie and England International Andros Townsend.

Point is - there are 18 or so players genuinely competing for a spot

It an 'orrible month for us... (on paper!!)
3 days recovery before Anderlecht, (Villa really doesnt warrent a Monday night tv slot... I can only assume that Sky thought that Tims return to the Lane would make good telly, doh!
...then we've got back to back Lunnun Derbies!

...the only positive is that we start it with a chance of getting 3 points to take at least some pressure off the next two fixtures (cos they'll have ENOUGH pressure on them as it is)

Add to that aNOTHER dusruptive International break in the middle and we really need to get November off to a flyer on Monday...

And for once, the fixture list has tried to be kind to us! (Even if the TV schedules haven't!)

I think next week looks OK for us. Villa on Monday - 3 points. Anderlecht, we have the players available to rotate and they have incentive after our away match with them. NLD - Gooners have more injuries and tougher, must win match mid week. Excellent time to take all 3 points from them.

What are the odds of us being the first team to face the new Chelsea manager too? :pochrolleyes:

I doubt it. If they lose to Stoke away next week (not an easy game) then he might go. but they've got Norwich the week after and they'll beat them comfortably. Will probably use that game to play themselves into a bit of form before us.

:dierno:

It has been a very good month for us.
We got one more point than I actually expected (7).

Total 8 points!
1. Villa: Win
2. Arse: Draw
3. Spam: Win
4. Chavs: Draw

(Maybe Poch for PL MOTM?)

Woolwich won't mind playing us, it's just the usual local derby, who knows what will happen, but we could lose. They are decent this year (at least at the moment, we all know they can fuck up out of nowhere) but it will be a tight game.
Villa are weak, that's three points. Whoever they get in it won't be Jurgen Klopp so they won't be getting a point off us.
West Ham, I'd say that's a draw but we could easily win.
We are a nightmare game for Chelsea at the moment. They are a clusterfuck of a club at the moment and I don't think they will fancy playing us at all. Three points all day long.

So 7 points. But it could be more like 8 or 9 if we have a little luck. Either way, a good haul from the fixtures.

Very happy with 8 points from those games, that's CL form at 2 points a game and the last three were all tough fixtures. Glad the players get a week without a game now, they need a little recharge I think. Their bodies looked fit enough but I think their brains were a little tired today in a game that demanded a lot of concentration.

Back
Top Bottom