Have we signed Mateo Musacchio yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to trust Spanish sources, but I like this...

The Spanish sources have gone every which direction. For you twitter bros, would recommend following Spurspanyol. Gives very objective news and information covering all of our transfer activity coming out of Spain.

Our manager who is Argentinian, coached in La Liga and played center back probably did and consequently it seems like he desperately wants him.

Ha tbh I genuinely have no recollection of where I saw that mentioned. Believe it was in a write-up on the player, and a link I simply didn't pursue.

But I'm curious, why are you so seemingly opposed to this player? Merely inquisitive perhaps? Surely if Poch, who successfully played this fella's very position and has experience in La Liga, rates him then to me I think it'd be folly to question that. For instance, the gridiron team I was born into is legendary for having a constant stock of fantastic defense players. Our coach atm played a specific position in defense, and despite all of our knowledge and experience with good defenders, we STFU and listen when he selects a player for that position.

Likewise, I hardly watch any La Liga at all, so I certainly wouldn't question your knowledge on the subject.
Oh I'm not opposed to him at all. I just haven't heard of him, and given I follow most European leagues with a keen eye, I'm surprised I haven't heard of him, particularly given his supposed excellent season.

Does it really matter though? If our coach, who played this player's position, represented Argentina at a WC at the position, played in La Liga, and coached in La Liga rates this player, does what a bunch of English team fans know of him matter in evaluating the player's impact or value?
I must admit I have never considered his playing position as a reason to think he can pick out a good centre half. I've never made that connection with any manager, actually.

I could be really wrong here, but I think once you become a manager, it's kind of irrelevant what position he played as he needs to be able to scout, develop and work with players of all positions, backgrounds, levels of experience. Otherwise he'd just be a defensive coach?

Maybe I am completely and utterly wrong!!

I'm just surprised in myself that I don't know who he is, we're paying £17m for him, and no one else (so far) can say they've seen him play!!!

Oh I'm not opposed to him at all. I just haven't heard of him, and given I follow most European leagues with a keen eye, I'm surprised I haven't heard of him, particularly given his supposed excellent season.

I must admit I have never considered his playing position as a reason to think he can pick out a good centre half. I've never made that connection with any manager, actually.

I could be really wrong here, but I think once you become a manager, it's kind of irrelevant what position he played as he needs to be able to scout, develop and work with players of all positions, backgrounds, levels of experience. Otherwise he'd just be a defensive coach?

Maybe I am completely and utterly wrong!!

I'm just surprised in myself that I don't know who he is, we're paying £17m for him, and no one else (so far) can say they've seen him play!!!

All fair enough.

And while it's true a manager's responsibilities expand with his new job, that doesn't mean he's forgotten any of the experience he's previously acquired. In fact, it's the very foundation from which he's built his later career. When you consider Poch's resume playing at the position, along with the fact he's now managed in both leagues and made some gents into some very successful CB's in his time at each (H Moreno at Espanyol, Lovren at Saints), to me this move and Poch's take on it is nigh unquestionable.

I'm "Catholic," but I'd sooner question the Pope on sex before marriage before I questioned Poch on his choice in this player.

All fair enough.

And while it's true a manager's responsibilities expand with his new job, that doesn't mean he's forgotten any of the experience he's previously acquired. In fact, it's the very foundation from which he's built his later career. When you consider Poch's resume playing at the position, along with the fact he's now managed in both leagues and made some gents into some very successful CB's in his time at each (H Moreno at Espanyol, Lovren at Saints), to me this move and Poch's take on it is nigh unquestionable.

I'm "Catholic," but I'd sooner question the Pope on sex before marriage before I questioned Poch on his choice in this player.
Fair comment (apart from the Catholic bit - didn't take you for such a mug! :adelol:).

I've just never seen a signing where I've though 'he knows what he's doing, he was a striker in his day'. I've never linked the ability to play a position with the ability to spot a talent in that same position. They are very different skills for someone to have.

Fair comment (apart from the Catholic bit - didn't take you for such a mug! :adelol:).

I've just never seen a signing where I've though 'he knows what he's doing, he was a striker in his day'. I've never linked the ability to play a position with the ability to spot a talent in that same position. They are very different skills for someone to have.

Meh. Catholicism, like Islam, has a very incorrect and negative connotation to it due to the Western media.

Yeah I don't blame you for not making those connections in the past, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that most successful managers don't have anywhere close to the track record Poch does at his position. Think about it: how many current managers running top teams in top leagues represented their nation at a World Cup, let alone one the caliber of Argentina?

It's like anything in life. For example, if you work at a company you start in a small specified department working on something generally with a smaller scope. But as you get promoted, you learn more and more about the workings of the entire company and how everything fits together. While you can speak intelligently about any department in the company it is likely you'll be able to speak most comfortably about the department which you started in because you lived it and experienced it. There's little things you can only learn from having experience in that specific spot.

So IMO, while Pochettino or any manager can coach a whole team and pick a player at any position, he's also spent his whole footballing life playing defender while he's been coaching for a much shorter period. Because of that experience he probably just has a slightly keener eye for a defender because he's amassed more knowledge on being a defender. It's not to say he's weak in other categories just that he has more first hand experience as a defender than as a striker. Everyone in any walk of life has a little bit of a better understanding of something they've done at high level rather than just something they've learned not through first hand experience.

Meh. Catholicism, like Islam, has a very incorrect and negative connotation to it due to the Western media.

Yeah I don't blame you for not making those connections in the past, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that most successful managers don't have anywhere close to the track record Poch does at his position. Think about it: how many current managers running top teams in top leagues represented their nation at a World Cup, let alone one the caliber of Argentina?
Which makes me think his experience as a player is less important than is being made out.

But I hope he proves me wrong and Mabbuteo is a fucking BEAST

Which makes me think his experience as a player is less important than is being made out.

But I hope he proves me wrong and Mabbuteo is a fucking BEAST

Yeah, definitely going with Mabbuteo from here out. All the better if you pronounce it with an African or Samoan accent.

I don't follow though, how do you reason his experience is a player is less important considering his resume vs other managers at top clubs across Europe? Honestly, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single one with the equivalent playing record of Poch's. Simply has to be factored in IMO.

I just wanted to know why suddenly a 17mil spending on a cb not many have heard of
Maybe because Pochettino rates him. It's not either man's fault that none of us follow Villareal, or even that most people don't pay much attention to the players in La Liga outside of those of Barca, R. Madrid, and A. Madrid.

Since Cunts Fc ( I refuse to call them by their proper name) snatched Willian from us I get a bit paranoid. Let's just get this deal done because we desperately need a class defender to partner verts

Since Cunts Fc ( I refuse to call them by their proper name) snatched Willian from us I get a bit paranoid. Let's just get this deal done because we desperately need a class defender to partner verts

Don't blame you, but given the complexity of this guy's contract it would be impossible for someone to swoop in and Williangate us. Believe what you will, but there are also quite a few reports suggesting the player is adamantly pushing for the move to join up with Poch. The fact he hasn't trained, or participated in their friendly, since the bid was first mentioned certainly adds credibility to the notion.

uNXGyjf.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom