Have we signed Frank de Boer yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the score, Frank de Boer?

• Total voters
I think Frank is now my first choice.

LVG seems a bit Redknappy already (we're apparently not his first choice job, talks to the media a lot, narcissist)... :/

I think Frank is now my first choice.

LVG seems a bit Redknappy already (we're apparently not his first choice job, talks to the media a lot, narcissist)... :/

Maybe but I don't care to much for the
Managers personality, it's the football we play I care about, a lot of the best managers are complete dicks that just life.

Maybe but I don't care to much for the
Managers personality, it's the football we play I care about, a lot of the best managers are complete dicks that just life.

Football, as in any other sport, includes far more of a pscyhological component than is easily discernible. Yes, many of them are complete cocks, but if they're particularly bad in some areas that are in direct opposition to areas in which you know your squad is weak, it is cause for concern. For instance, it doesn't mean a whole lot that Southampton are scoring beautiful team-created goals in the beginning of games but fail to hold on for the three points towards the end because their manager is inept at inspiring his players in crucial times.

What I like about Frank
  • Young [so there is potential for him staying around for a while]
  • Accustom to working with youth and talent [and even sell his best player]
  • Good at re-building teams [seeing as he is used to sell his best players]
  • He will be available after the Dutch season ends. Good for transfers, implementing a new system, settle in, etc [in late July after the world cup ends]
  • He is a winner. Ok, it is the Dutch league but as a player he was also a winner e.g. Champions League
  • [In theory] he should know a lot of talented players that plays in the Dutch league

What I dislike about Frank
  • Only managerial experience from the Dutch league [and never played in the UK before]
  • The doping scandal [I know he was cleared after a while, but still]
  • Is he just another AVB?
  • He does not attract established players or someone he could bring on that, to my knowledge, I would like in the squad. For example, Pochettino have access to Lallana, Shaw, etc

With that said: Overall, Frank is a great risk that might very well pay off... On my list, he is roughly 3rd or 4th battling Pochettino

• He does not attract established players or someone he could bring on that, to my knowledge, I would like in the squad. For example, Pochettino have access to Lallana, Shaw, etc

I think that kind of thing is greatly overstated. Did AVB land Moutinho or Hulk? Did Moyes land Baines? If anything, players that follow managers from club to club tend to attract higher transfer fees than they would usually do. I'm pretty sure DeBoer would have far greater pulling-power generally than Pochettino.

Players move for two reasons - money (first) and chances of winning things (second). The manager is only a factor if the first two criteria are tied between bidding clubs.

• Only managerial experience from the Dutch league [and never played in the UK before]
Lots of Champions League experience though. Most managers, like Pochettino, don't have that experience. Plus he has played in the UK, drawing against City (2-2, beating them 3-1 in Amsterdam) and beating United at Old Trafford (2-1).

Regarding your last point i agree with the poster above me.

What I like about Frank
  • Young [so there is potential for him staying around for a while]
  • Accustom to working with youth and talent [and even sell his best player]
  • Good at re-building teams [seeing as he is used to sell his best players]
  • He will be available after the Dutch season ends. Good for transfers, implementing a new system, settle in, etc [in late July after the world cup ends]
  • He is a winner. Ok, it is the Dutch league but as a player he was also a winner e.g. Champions League
  • [In theory] he should know a lot of talented players that plays in the Dutch league

• The doping scandal [I know he was cleared after a while, but still]
  • Is he just another AVB?

With that said: Overall, Frank is a great risk that might very well pay off... On my list, he is roughly 3rd or 4th battling Pochettino

He played for Rangers along with his brother Ronald

I think that kind of thing is greatly overstated. Did AVB land Moutinho or Hulk? Did Moyes land Baines? If anything, players that follow managers from club to club tend to attract higher transfer fees than they would usually do

That is a valid point, and to a large extend I do agree! And I think we all agree that a manager with a big name more easily attracts big players.However, such things are always hard to measure. Of course, Mourhino has greater attraction affect than Big Sam, but between Pochettino and DeBoer... I don't know.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if a manager and a player have a good relationship they are more likely to join the club where a good relationship is established. But of course, players are humans and some might [read most of them] e.g. Hulk follows the money, whilst other prioritise the familiar and regular playing time e.g. Bains.

But in a hypothetical case with e.g. Pochettino as manager: I believe that if Lallana was about to change club and he decided between us and e.g. Everton (sopposed they are not qualified for CL and the salaries are equal). I believe that Lallana is more likely to join Tottenham because bounds are established (assume they like each other).

I admit it is not the strongest point on my list. But it is still a factor where DeBoer is at disadvantage. Particularly since Levy said that we are aiming to buy players with PL experience... A league where DeBoers reputation as a manger arguably is not particulary established

Last edited:
I really dont think it counts for much to be honest. The money on offer, the position of the club, european competition, even location are likely to be bigger factors.

Also, as with your example, who is to say Lallana even likes Pochettino? What if he felt Pochettino was holding him back, or didnt like his methods? Just because they work together now it does not mean there is a particular bond does it?

I would suggest De Boer is a bigger draw than Pochettino, but generally its a less significant factor anyway

In this order for me........
Martinez
Ancelotti
Pochettino.
Spot the common denominator! All have EPL experience. I have been to scared this season, by witnessing good professionals struggling to ply their trade to good effect, when coming from overseas for the first time to do a job. Can't do that again! Get (EPL) experience in. Reduce the negative possibilities. Martinez just pips Ancelotti for me, due to his (long-term) age.

COYS!!

In this order for me........
Martinez
Ancelotti
Pochettino.
Spot the common denominator! All have EPL experience. I have been to scared this season, by witnessing good professionals struggling to ply their trade to good effect, when coming from overseas for the first time to do a job. Can't do that again! Get (EPL) experience in. Reduce the negative possibilities. Martinez just pips Ancelotti for me, due to his (long-term) age.

COYS!!
We have 0 chance with Martinez and Ancelotti, mate - might as well take them off the list

Back
Top Bottom