Have we signed Frank de Boer yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the score, Frank de Boer?

• Total voters
1096.gif

What is wrong with that? Forget that Chelsea fans hate him (even though he won a European trophy.)
He was successful at Liverpool in the cups and came close to the league title. By all accounts the transfer policy there was what did for him as he wasn't able to bring in his own players and....
Oh shit

What is wrong with that? Forget that Chelsea fans hate him (even though he won a European trophy.)
He was successful at Liverpool in the cups and came close to the league title. By all accounts the transfer policy there was what did for him as he wasn't able to bring in his own players and....
Oh shit

Haha yeah come on jimmy I think de Boer can be more than a red herring I like you assume the worst anyway so never get the crazy hyped up hope than others but he seems to be that good blend of man manager and tactician

Plus last week Ajax got beat by a pub side in the Dutch cup, so he will fit in a dream

Think this one is another red herring to be honest.
He's won things at Ajax but has no experience outside of that. Reeks of another 'project' that will take time and patience. Something we are unlikely to give him. I would rather take Benitez for now.

I think he has merit. Has done a fair amount of time as a coach, domestically and with the national side. Has now managed a few seasons and while "its only Holland" has done very well. Ajax were struggling before him and since him have been imperious.

Also, like players, I think we cannot attract the top talent, the "World class", and so have to focus on the "up and coming". Like Bale, Modric etc - we need to apply that to managers.

We tried with AVB, it failed, but it doesnt mean the approach is wrong.

FDB is very highly rated, has done very well and has had a great education - he would certainly fit the bill IMO

I think he has merit. Has done a fair amount of time as a coach, domestically and with the national side. Has now managed a few seasons and while "its only Holland" has done very well. Ajax were struggling before him and since him have been imperious.

Also, like players, I think we cannot attract the top talent, the "World class", and so have to focus on the "up and coming". Like Bale, Modric etc - we need to apply that to managers.

FDB is very highly rated, has done very well and has had a great education - he would certainly fit the bill IMO

Plus he is probably the most "connected" manager we would have ever had, not saying much but he has worked with some of the best players and managers throughout Europe including 2 who play for us, he even used to get the moany bastard to smile (Jan not Eriksen)

The advantage of De Boer is he will build the team around Eriksen – a must for me – and might persuade Vertonghen to stay.

They say you count the Dutch league like dog years, so I reckon 4 Erdivise titles equals one top-four finish. Could work.

And Ramos, and Jol, and Gross. I know it doesn't mean the approach is wrong but I'd certainly rather see us spend £15m on a top class manager rather than the same amount on a talented young player. The problem with AVB and Ramos is that it was hard to tell whether they were great managers, or just happened to be good managers who were lucky enough to arrive at their clubs when it had some world class players coming through . At least with DeBoer it's hard to argue that he's had that luxury - he's just got a decent young group of players performing consistently well.

And Ramos, and Jol, and Gross. I know it doesn't mean the approach is wrong but I'd certainly rather see us spend £15m on a top class manager rather than the same amount on a talented young player. The problem with AVB and Ramos is that it was hard to tell whether they were great managers, or just happened to be good managers who were lucky enough to arrive at their clubs when it had some world class players coming through . At least with DeBoer it's hard to argue that he's had that luxury - he's just got a decent young group of players performing consistently well.
The key is that he has respect and will attract players who want to play for a winner.

Yep as long as we keep expectations resonable no top 4 shit first season, which is the way we can ruin a good manager. With Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Woolwich, a new look Man United and Everton we will have to earn our right to get 3rd or 4th or even 6th for that matter. I would rather our first two seasons under say De Boer was spent building a good style of play so that in the 3rd and 4th year we were capable of making a challenge. No more short termist shit. De Boer is both tactical and attacking minded manager so should please people looking to keep the 'Spurs way' and though's looking for a more tactical manager.

Its a gamble, absolutely. However, IMO, its the only way we are really going to get that level of manager.

I just cant see us pulling in the best as we stand.

Yep as long as we keep expectations resonable no top 4 shit first season, which is the way we can ruin a good manager. With Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Woolwich, a new look Man United and Everton we will have to earn our right to get 3rd or 4th or even 6th for that matter. I would rather our first two seasons under say De Boer was spent building a good style of play so that in the 3rd and 4th year we were capable of making a challenge. No more short termist shit. De Boer is both tactical and attacking minded manager so should please people looking to keep the 'Spurs way' and though's looking for a more tactical manager.
Im happy all the time I can see progress. I would be fine with top 6 finishes if I felt we were developing and great things were around the corner...

I just don't know if I can take a manager seriously who has come from a league with a team named the' Go Ahead Eagles' in it.
Sounds like something out of Mario Football on the Wii.

I just don't know if I can take a manager seriously who has come from a league with a team named the' Go Ahead Eagles' in it.
Sounds like something out of Mario Football on the Wii.

Someone in Holland right now is saying the same about Crystal Palace, I mean think about that name!

Back
Top Bottom