Have we signed a Bastoni alternative yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spanish, Germans, and French play in foreign countries more often, as well, though.

Not a critique, but there's definitely a cultural influence there I think. I think the higher wages are a big part of it in England, but once you get away from the top of the table it falls off pretty dramatically. Leipzig, Wolves, Villarreal, and Fiorentina all have comparable wage bills. French clubs are paupers, which explains their movement certainly.

The language factor has to be considered. A lot of players from the rest of Europe are at least bilingual, but the vast, vast majority of English players are monolingual. Obviously there are plenty of players who move somewhere where they don't speak the language, but it definitely helps if you're Belgian or Dutch for instance and speak fluent English anyway.

Spanish, Germans, and French play in foreign countries more often, as well, though.
Excluding the French players, is it more often than English/Italian players? It might be, but some English players recently move lately than before, I think? Bellingham, Sancho, Young, Smalling, Abraham, etc. all went abroad for some time or are still there.

The language factor has to be considered. A lot of players from the rest of Europe are at least bilingual, but the vast, vast majority of English players are monolingual. Obviously there are plenty of players who move somewhere where they don't speak the language, but it definitely helps if you're Belgian or Dutch for instance and speak fluent English anyway.

Most Inglish peeple carnt even speak are own langwidge.

Another reason young English players might go abroad now more than ever is because English teams are often reluctant to do business between one another.
We don't do business with Chelsea, but a kid could go to Germany for a year then sign for Spurs.

Bin vote casts for pricks who say stuff like “I knew it wouldn’t happen”.

Fuck off :dembelefingers:
I knew it wouldn't happen!
I Dare You Salma Hayek GIF by SAG Awards

I can't stand Daniel Greedy, but this one isn't on him.
If it was a Levy one, we'd have made a big song and dance about trying to buy this supposed elite player in the last week of the window, taken it right to the wire and then failed trying.
The Levy special of trying to sign a completely unobtainable player and being left with nothing.
nothing except a pocket full of unspent money.

If it was a Levy one, we'd have made a big song and dance about trying to buy this supposed elite player in the last week of the window, taken it right to the wire and then failed trying.
The Levy special of trying to sign a completely unobtainable player and being left with nothing.

Ah .. Dybala transfer flashbacks.

We're signing him guys! Bid accepted. What's that, the same third party issues we'd have known about this entire window that stopped United buying him have popped up? Nothing we can do here. We tried though guys, honest.

(Agreed though .. this is simply a case of the player not wanting to leave his club. Glad the club tried as he was perfect, but no more to be done really.)

So, if we try to buy an elite player then we have set our sights too high but if we’re going for a second choice then we’re letting the manager down?

Got it. Agenda much?

Ah .. Dybala transfer flashbacks.

We're signing him guys! Bid accepted. What's that, the same third party issues we'd have known about this entire window that stopped United buying him have popped up? Nothing we can do here. We tried though guys, honest.

(Agreed though .. this is simply a case of the player not wanting to leave his club. Glad the club tried as he was perfect, but no more to be done really.)

Not just Dybala. This 3rd party ownership issue has stopped us signing plenty over the years. And it always happens in the last week of the window when there's just not enough time to sort it out.

So, if we try to buy an elite player then we have set our sights too high but if we’re going for a second choice then we’re letting the manager down?

Got it. Agenda much?

Not what I said, was it?
Read it again, make notes, don't carry on.

That was just a smiley because I'm waiting on a response to Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman 's challenge...

Another reason young English players might go abroad now more than ever is because English teams are often reluctant to do business between one another.
We don't do business with Chelsea, but a kid could go to Germany for a year then sign for Spurs.

I hope more do. It can only be a good thing for the National team to have our best players, some of them, playing in different leagues that have different tempos and are more tactics based than the hustle and bustle of the Premier League.

I think part of the reason why English players are often looked down on by foreigners is because they see us as some kind of snobs, as our players generally like to stay in their comfort zones instead of moving abroad and learning a new language etc. It's refreshing to see the likes of Sancho, Bellingham and Abraham do it and I hope more follow.

I hope more do. It can only be a good thing for the National team to have our best players, some of them, playing in different leagues that have different tempos and are more tactics based than the hustle and bustle of the Premier League.

I think part of the reason why English players are often looked down on by foreigners is because they see us as some kind of snobs, as our players generally like to stay in their comfort zones instead of moving abroad and learning a new language etc. It's refreshing to see the likes of Sancho, Bellingham and Abraham do it and I hope more follow.
Been saying this since the dark ages when 100% of the squad had never played football outside of the Premier League and First Division

Back
Top Bottom