Have we signed a Bastoni alternative yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oracle

Supporter
Going to be a lot of these threads this summer it seems, the signing of our number one target for left sided centre back is getting closer.

A little weird to say as he's a CB, but he'd improve us so much offensively. So much poise on the ball and very creative. One of the best on the ball centerbacks in the world.

He's be described for Inter as an "overlapping CB". Essentially Perisic cuts inside quite a lot and Bastoni overlaps on the flank and hits crosses in like fullback and he's got a wand of a left foot. Davies did this from time to time for us this season, but it's a consistent part of Bastoni's game.

He's a good, not great defender. Despite being 6'4, he's a bit soft to be honest especially in the air considering his height (1.4 aerials won per game, Davies wins 2.3) but he's a good 1v1 defender and positionally sound. Perfect for a back three really and he's a child as far as central defender development goes being only 23.

A little weird to say as he's a CB, but he'd improve us so much offensively. So much poise on the ball and very creative. One of the best on the ball centerbacks in the world.

He's be described for Inter as an "overlapping CB". Essentially Perisic cuts inside quite a lot and Bastoni overlaps on the flank and hits crosses in like fullback and he's got a wand of a left foot. Davies did this from time to time for us this season, but it's a consistent part of Bastoni's game.

He's a good, not great defender. Despite being 6'4, he's a bit soft to be honest especially in the air considering his height (1.4 aerials won per game, Davies wins 2.3) but he's a good 1v1 defender and positionally sound. Perfect for a back three really and he's a child as far as central defender development goes being only 23.
Hopefully he can trained to win aerial duel, he's is only 23.

Also Perisic is very good in the air, so that should help.

We need somebody good in the air back there because Romero’s not it.
Romero led Serie A and Champions League in aerial duals won by a defender in 2020/2021.

I know he got caught out a couple times this year, but I think it was more mistakes rather than an enduring weakness in his game. It happens.

In which case do we need a better pure defender than Dier alongside him to make it work?
In the long run, yes. but replacing Dier right now would destabilise the squad. Having said that Davies is not that good, so the drop off defensively won't be a big deal.

In which case do we need a better pure defender than Dier alongside him to make it work?
Personally, I don't think so at all. Dier and Romero were both very good defensively this season and Davies too. I don't mean to undersell Bastoni either, he's not a liability defensively at all and Chiellini has publicly labelled him as his heir in the Italian national team. He's just worldclass on the ball and slightly below that level defensively, though still young and developing.

My view is that the biggest improvement our backline needed to make was in possession, which is why I'm thrilled at the prospect of either Bastoni or Torres, two of the five best passing left footed center halves in the world. It's clear how much of an improvement Romero was in possession over Sanchez and Dier/Davies are okay in possession, not great.

Having players like Romero and Bastoni in a back three who can pass and carry the ball out from the back just makes us massively more threatening going forward, it's absolutely a crucial part of playing three at the back. If you're sacrificing a man in the midfield, your two flanking centerbacks need to be able to step into the midfield and play the ball like midfielders. In Romero and Bastoni we'll have two in the best in the world at doing that. And being able to hold possession is crucial to being a good defensive team.

Personally, I don't think so at all. Dier and Romero were both very good defensively this season and Davies too. I don't mean to undersell Bastoni either, he's not a liability defensively at all and Chiellini has publicly labelled him as his heir in the Italian national team. He's just worldclass on the ball and slightly below that level defensively, though still young and developing.

My view is that the biggest improvement our backline needed to make was in possession, which is why I'm thrilled at the prospect of either Bastoni or Torres, two of the five best passing left footed center halves in the world. It's clear how much of an improvement Romero was in possession over Sanchez and Dier/Davies are okay in possession, not great.

Having players like Romero and Bastoni in a back three who can pass and carry the ball out from the back just makes us massively more threatening going forward, it's absolutely a crucial part of playing three at the back. If you're sacrificing a man in the midfield, your two flanking centerbacks need to be able to step into the midfield and play the ball like midfielders. In Romero and Bastoni we'll have two in the best in the world at doing that. And being able to hold possession is crucial to being a good defensive team.
Exactly this. As we’ve seen with Conteball, there is an expectation to play out from the back and whilst Davies is very solid defensively, he is more prone to errors when he’s pressed. Bastoni, much like Romero is comfortable on the ball and less likely to panic.

Teaching someone position and passages of play is easier to do; especially with Conte coaching.

But being naturally comfortable with the ball isn’t something that can be taught as easily.

Back
Top Bottom