Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he’s just far too meek...I would even go as far to say cowardly. Just seems to want as little responsibility as he can get away with in the hopes that he doesn’t look so bad that he’ll lose his place in the team. The ITK we had before Hojbjerg signed for the club was saying that Winksy wasn’t happy about his signing since he thought it threatened his place in the squad tells you all you need to know about him. Great players relish challenges and rise to them. Yet it seems to terrify Winks.
'ITK'?? 😂

alright-jenniferlawrence.gif

I think he’s just far too meek...I would even go as far to say cowardly. Just seems to want as little responsibility as he can get away with in the hopes that he doesn’t look so bad that he’ll lose his place in the team. The ITK we had before Hojbjerg signed for the club was saying that Winksy wasn’t happy about his signing since he thought it threatened his place in the squad tells you all you need to know about him. Great players relish challenges and rise to them. Yet it seems to terrify Winks.
You will get some disagrees to this. Not from me. But people whose name rhyme with Lick Pooper.

I don't hate him either, but don't see him as anything more than a bench warmer in the EPL. He had a good game on Thursday, but you do have to take into account the level of the opposition. If he's happy to take that role on, then so be it, but I would have to question his ambition. If he still thinks he can make it with the first team, I think he's being a tad delusional. However, there's no excuse for the name calling and abuse he has been subject to.

I've said it many times. He's not good enough for us to start every week, or any club wanting to challenge for honours, but as a squad player he's absolutely fine. He's no worse than a handful of our players that are still at the club and yet seems to get twice as much stick.

I've said it many times. He's not good enough for us to start every week, or any club wanting to challenge for honours, but as a squad player he's absolutely fine. He's no worse than a handful of our players that are still at the club and yet seems to get twice as much stick.
Which ‘handful’ are you referring to?

I’ll give you Doherty

Yeah that's utter nonsense, anyone basing their opinion off ITK shouldn't be taken seriously.

Winks is fine, if he wants to stay in the team and fight for his place after he's been told that he's not in the managers plans then fair play, he won't get many matches but at least he's willing to fight for them which should be the expectancy at this club.

People have this weird agenda against him for some reason, he's not even that bad, the majority of our players went backwards under Jose so I don't understand why Winks constantly gets it in the neck.

I don't hate him either, but don't see him as anything more than a bench warmer in the EPL. He had a good game on Thursday, but you do have to take into account the level of the opposition. If he's happy to take that role on, then so be it, but I would have to question his ambition. If he still thinks he can make it with the first team, I think he's being a tad delusional. However, there's no excuse for the name calling and abuse he has been subject to.
All too many times on here we see the "form is temporary, class is permanent " catechism trotted out, and to an extent I can subscribe to it. When he broke into the team we all saw a young, hungry and fearless lad who put in eye catching performances, that got him recognition at international level.
Then he started getting played out of position and asked to perform roles that he's not suited to. Therein lies the issue.

Inside those boots is the Harry Winks who started with us, if he got to play that position permanently then there's every chance we might get him back.

What we saw was him playing where he performs best, and if he won't get that option again he should move on, to a team that will accommodate him. He will shine at a lower level, but similarly, he will also shine in a high functioning team that utilises him for the skillset that he has. Spurs 16-18 being a case in point.

It's a bit like moaning about the carpenter who keeps making wiring mistakes on site when building houses, if you ask him to lay bricks and do the lighting, he isn't going to look like a useful member of the team, but its unfair to roast him for it.

All too many times on here we see the "form is temporary, class is permanent " catechism trotted out, and to an extent I can subscribe to it. When he broke into the team we all saw a young, hungry and fearless lad who put in eye catching performances, that got him recognition at international level.
Then he started getting played out of position and asked to perform roles that he's not suited to. Therein lies the issue.

Inside those boots is the Harry Winks who started with us, if he got to play that position permanently then there's every chance we might get him back.

What we saw was him playing where he performs best, and if he won't get that option again he should move on, to a team that will accommodate him. He will shine at a lower level, but similarly, he will also shine in a high functioning team that utilises him for the skillset that he has. Spurs 16-18 being a case in point.

It's a bit like moaning about the carpenter who keeps making wiring mistakes on site when building houses, if you ask him to lay bricks and do the lighting, he isn't going to look like a useful member of the team, but its unfair to roast him for it.
Cool story, bro

Do not understand why this thread gets so much attention. It looks clear to me that he is staying but will not be first choice. We have signed his replacement but he is on loan for the next 12 months. Can see Winks going then assuming Sarr and Skipp perform as expected. Winks should play in the cups this year but only in the PL due to injuries.

Back
Top Bottom