Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Bayern links first came up last summer not this one. From what Ange said yesterday since he started his own “due diligence” he knew what was planned. And Ange was in talks with Spurs in April (possibly before)

How you conclude there that Levy was not planning this sale, and possible for at least a year, I don’t know 🤷. Sorry if I am misunderstanding.
Links are just that. There was nothing substantial. Bayern didn't even put in a bid.

Ange can speak in hindsight but if he knew Harry was going, why was he first choice in all the friendlies, why not give Richi the most time to get up to speed? Also why was Kane's goodbye against Shaktar such a non-event? He obviously planned contingencies for Kane to depart but I don't think it was a known certainty. I think even as Kane played for Shaktar, I don't he had made his mind up at that point.

The Bayern links first came up last summer not this one. From what Ange said yesterday since he started his own “due diligence” he knew what was planned. And Ange was in talks with Spurs in April (possibly before)

How you conclude there that Levy was not planning this sale, and possible for at least a year, I don’t know 🤷. Sorry if I am misunderstanding.
The Athletic just had an article posted with multiple writers providing details. Levy was not convinced to sell until late July of this summer. He wasTrying to convince Kane to sign a new deal, in July Kane confirmed it won't happen.

That's when Levy decided they had to sell. It's not Levy's fault that Bayern dragged their feet and took a full month to offer a real deal.

Links are just that. There was nothing substantial. Bayern didn't even put in a bid.

Ange can speak in hindsight but if he knew Harry was going, why was he first choice in all the friendlies, why not give Richi the most time to get up to speed? Also why was Kane's goodbye against Shaktar such a non-event? He obviously planned contingencies for Kane to depart but I don't think it was a known certainty. I think even as Kane played for Shaktar, I don't he had made his mind up at that point.
Ange said he knew he would go if the offer came. Until that offer came he was a Spurs player and has said that he doesn't isolate anyone that wants to go. While they're here, they are Spurs. So he was building with Harry in case the offer didn't come.

Also, can you imagine the circus if Kane didn't play all pre-season?!

I mean everyone was told that Kane and others were staying home from the Barca game as they wouldn't play and it was still spun by some into 'He mUsT bE GoiNg!'.

Think it was dealt with perfectly by everyone tbh.

Contentious.

Glenn Hoddle came through as well. Ghod won 3 major honours (incl UEFA cup 84) to Kane's none despite Kane having opportunities. Hoddle raised his game in some big matches and that is perhaps the one criticism of Kane. The 16/17 side is considerably better than that 80s team imo, although won less and hard to compare eras.

Steve Perryman another graduate who won 6 major honours, including 2 European honours.

For me, Kane, Greaves and Hoddle are our best players of all time. I know some very old timers though that would argue for Mackay/Blanchflower, and then even Ron Burgess (captain of the push and run league winners).

Kane is in the list of these names. Incredible achievement.

Worth pointing out that Glenn Hoddle who, like Kane had come through Spurs youth system and was a fans favourite (and an astonishing footballer who could do things with the ball that I'm not sure I've seen anyone else do) but he moved to Monaco at about aged 29/30 too despite winning several major trophies. His moving broke my heart too.

Kane's been at Spurs for about 20 years, which in most walks of life is a very long time to be employed - average time to be employed anywhere is probably closer to 5 years. And people change employer for all sorts of reasons - often for more money and a promotion, others just for a change, especially going to a different country. So Kane may well be moving on for, at least partly, the same reasons that motivate everyone else.

But I get the logic that its lack of trophies which is a reason, and that may well be a good reason for Kane to move on (although Hoddle moved despite winning trophies).

Many reasons for Spurs lack of trophies - although we've had our chances with a number of finals and semi finals when Kane has been here and should have won PL in season that Leicester did, so that sucks. But in my view, our transfer record from 2016-19 was awful despite spending several hundred million our best recruits were probably Moura and Sanchez and having screwed up in 4 successive summer windows we are short of the say 8 -12 good players we SHOULD have recruited then, and have had problems moving on the poor quality players on high wages we did recruit.

Whereas Poch inherited a young squad containing a lot of good players - Lloris, Vorm, Rose, Walker, Davies, Vertonghen, Mason and Bentaleb (first choice CM's in Poch first season), Dembele, Eriksen, Kane et al ...... by the time he moved on he left an over played squad in their declining years (in sporting terms) having failed to get equivalent footballers in despite the money spent. And Levy isn't going to sign cheques for ckub record signings such as Ndombele and Lo Celso or Sessegnon without someone on the footballing side saying 'I want that player'

So Kane moving on sucks, as does our trophy haul in recent years. But it is what it is

But we are in a better state than if Kane had moved 3 years ago, because our player acquisition since 2021 has been decent and we now have the nucleus of a decent squad together now, and a manager who we all agree plays great attacking football. So I for one am starting to move on from Kane's departure.

Apparently if you are concerned about the future of the football club you have watched your entire life it means you need to call the samaritans lol.

Like I said in the other post, typical deflection tactic to devalue a differing opinion when they have nothing else, I am sure some people will lap that kind of thing up though, plenty of trolls on here enjoy bollocks like that.

I care about Kane leaving and obviously about the future of the club but I am not going to lose sleep over it because I understand it's beyond my control, plus, it's entertainment at the end of the day, life is far too enjoyable to let football bring you down.

However, that doesn't mean I don't want the best for the club though and I feel the ownership is holding it back from being the best it could be.
There's a huge difference between being concerned, which is understandable, and being totally negative and saying that there are, literally, no positives.

This take is making the rounds but I don't agree with it at all.

If he listened to what social media said that much, he'd run his contract down and go to Utd on a free next season. Most people are questioning why he went to Bayern.
Utd?!? At the moment they have about the same chances as us as winning silverware

The Athletic just had an article posted with multiple writers providing details. Levy was not convinced to sell until late July of this summer. He wasTrying to convince Kane to sign a new deal, in July Kane confirmed it won't happen.

That's when Levy decided they had to sell. It's not Levy's fault that Bayern dragged their feet and took a full month to offer a real deal.
That’s utterly meaningless, as not convinced is massively different to not considering.

I like the way they can find a way to blame Bayern, poor old Tottenham never in control of anything. I guess it was the big boys picking on our little hero and our little big man doing all he can to get that extra £5m split over 4 years 💪 so as to cushion the reality as to what he was about to be convinced to do.

To Dare is to Do.

There's a huge difference between being concerned, which is understandable, and being totally negative and saying that there are, literally, no positives.
I don't see the positives from selling Kane though Steve, it's a signal that Levy and ENIC were unable to convince him that we are a place he can win trophies and achieve big things, if they would have convinced him that this time it will be different, I would have had some hope but Kane has been at the club long enough to know that nothing is likely to change, that doesn't bode well imo.

Everybody keeps talking about this big rebuild but it's all based on pure guesswork if it works out well or not.

Do I trust this board and Daniel Levy to spend that money wisely? No, not at all. Yes we have done some good business so far this summer and that hints towards a more reliable pattern when it comes to purchases but I don't consider that to be some sort of undeniable proof we will spend that money well.

Also, say everything goes perfect and we spend the money very well and build a top 4 squad again, Ange is a huge hit and gets us back to a position like we were under Poch (which is a very big ask as things stand) well, then my question is, will Levy push the club forward when the time is right? Strike when the iron is hot?

Every factual bit of evidence we have points to a resounding NO because we have seen him turn invisible when these situations present themselves.

I have no faith in the ownership, that's why ultimately I struggle to spin this as a positive, I admire people who can but I personally just think it's how people are trying to cope with the loss of ANOTHER world class player who gave up believing this club could achieve anything.

There was substantial dialogue last summer. I think I posted it back then, but it was dismissed. Not that I am in anyway privileged to be IKT, it was just what we heard at the time. I suspect the unexpected Champions League qualification had determined the deal would not happen at the point. Makes some sense. But it’s only a theory.

So is Ange now the problem, as that better suits the narrative. I’d hope not.

Back
Top Bottom