Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't see the positives from selling Kane though Steve, it's a signal that Levy and ENIC were unable to convince him that we are a place he can win trophies and achieve big things, everybody keeps talking about this big rebuild but it's all based on pure guesswork if it works out well or not.

Do I trust this board and Daniel Levy to spend that money wisely? No, not at all. Yes we have done some good business so far this summer and that hints towards a more reliable pattern when it comes to purchases but I don't consider that to be some sort of undeniable proof we will spend that money well.

Also, say everything goes perfect and we spend the money very well and build a top 4 squad again, Ange is a huge hit and gets us back to a position like we were under Poch (which is a very big ask as things stand) well, then my question is, will Levy push the club forward when the time is right? Strike when the iron is hot?

Every factual bit of evidence we have points to a resounding NO because we have seen him turn invisible when these situations present themselves.

I have no faith in the ownership, that's why ultimately I struggle to spin this as a positive, I admire people who can but I personally just think it's how people are trying to cope with the loss of ANOTHER world class player who gave up believing this club could achieve anything.
I'm not talking about Kane, I'm talking about other players that we can be positive about.

Let's take one thing in isolation.

Maddison

It is a big positive that we signed him, regardless of anything else.

Anyone who can't see that either has an agenda or is trolling.

Utd?!? At the moment they have about the same chances as us as winning silverware
The take is that he needs to win trophies and basically cares too much about what people think of him.

At Bayern the claim will then be 'He won easy trophies'. Even if he went City or Madrid it would be the same thing.

If he really wanted to silence the critics (If thats what he even cares about) the best way would be to join a team not guaranteed to win but then be the key signing that makes it happen.

That’s utterly meaningless, as not convinced is massively different to not considering.

I like the way they can find a way to blame Bayern, poor old Tottenham never in control of anything. I guess it was the big boys picking on our little hero and our little big man doing all he can to get that extra £5m split over 4 years 💪 so as to cushion the reality as to what he was about to be convinced to do.

To Dare is to Do.
How can we make Bayern bid higher and faster? Do you even listen to your argument? In your mind, we should have been able to make Bayern bid £100m two months ago?

We told them the price, rejected all low offers and waited for them to increase the bid.

I'm not a Levy fan but he did this situation as well as you can. If he sold Kane last year, people would be pissed. If he didn't try extending Kane, people would be pissed. It was a no win situation but he did great getting this huge fee.

A lot of talk about how many goals he could have scored with better players around him.

Tottenham was probably the perfect club for him to come through at. Giving youth a chance at the time, being supplied by Eriksen, Dele, Son, Walker, Rose, Dembele for example - shit on the rest of our team as much as Spurs fans, the media or whoever wants to, he made the most of an ideal situation for him for a long time.

Yes he scored a lot of goals, though lots of players would have scored 100 or 150+ in his position. Maybe not 200+ but lets not pretend his ability didn't deny other players from scoring goals or even signing for us.

60-70 league goals had been our benchmark most seasons with Kane. Can we do that with Ange and without Kane? Absolutely.

I'm not talking about Kane, I'm talking about other players that we can be positive about.

Maddison

I agree it's a positive that we signed Maddison mate but it's all for nothing if the person on the end of his service can't stick the ball in the back of the net.

My overall point is that, big clubs are supposed to keep big players and big players want to stay at big clubs, there is exceptions to that rule of course, maybe a player wants a new challenge or a change of environment but imo, that's not the case with Kane.

Kane would, imo, still be here if he felt the club could match his ambitions, I think that speaks volumes about the state of the club under this ownership, if you have a player of his ability wanting out then I don't see any positives from that.

Maddison

As Ange said in his presser, it’s about the team as a collective, rather than relying on one star individual as we have done up until now.

As Ange said in his presser, it’s about the team as a collective, rather than relying on one star individual as we have done up until now.

That's all well and good but that requires BUILDING a good collective team.

Kane should have been part of that collective and if he was convinced our owners had the ability and ambition to achieve that, we wouldn't be discussing this now.

A lot of talk about how many goals he could have scored with better players around him.

Tottenham was probably the perfect club for him to come through at. Giving youth a chance at the time, being supplied by Eriksen, Dele, Son, Walker, Rose, Dembele for example - shit on the rest of our team as much as Spurs fans, the media or whoever wants to, he made the most of an ideal situation for him for a long time.

Yes he scored a lot of goals, though lots of players would have scored 100 or 150+ in his position. Maybe not 200+ but lets not pretend his ability didn't deny other players from scoring goals or even signing for us.

60-70 league goals had been our benchmark most seasons with Kane. Can we do that with Ange and without Kane? Absolutely.

If Soldado hadn’t bombed he’d probably never have got his chance. With Richy following a similar path to Bobby Soldier who’s to say Scarlett can’t come in and score a few (obviously not to the same effect as HK).

Although I've allways rated Kane, I thought £100m for a player with just a year left on his contract was expensive.

Now I see some Brighton midfielder who I've never fucking heard of is about to be sold for £111m.

Don't want to hijack the Kane thread, and it's obviously it's not something you guys have to worry about, but what chance do Celtic have of competing in Europe with those kind of fees

Although I've allways rated Kane, I thought £100m for a player with just a year left on his contract was expensive.

Now I see some Brighton midfielder who I've never fucking heard of is about to be sold for £111m.

Don't want to hijack the Kane thread, and it's obviously it's not something you guys have to worry about, but what chance do Celtic have of competing in Europe with those kind of fees
Yeah we all know the games gone at this point.

If Soldado hadn’t bombed he’d probably never have got his chance. With Richy following a similar path to Bobby Soldier who’s to say Scarlett can’t come in and score a few (obviously not to the same effect as HK).

If Ange's system doesn't rely on a 1 man focal point that scores all the goals, it's much less of a risk to put in a player like Scarlett too.

Not even necessarily him - the Argentinian lad, Richarlison, perhaps a new player coming in.

We don't need to replace a 30 goal player with a 30 goal player. A 15 goal player will be fine if 5 players score an extra 3 goals each.

Last few years we had Kane and I have been less and less interested and excited about watching Spurs as time went on. He scored 30 league goals last season, but it was a shit season, boring football, terrible defeats so I don't really care that much.

A player scoring 12 goals in a successful, exciting to watch season is worth more to me.

To be fair, I wouldn’t worry about Celtic competing in Europe even without those fees.

You and Rangers are just in there to make up the numbers.

If Ange's system doesn't rely on a 1 man focal point that scores all the goals, it's much less of a risk to put in a player like Scarlett too.

Not even necessarily him - the Argentinian lad, Richarlison, perhaps a new player coming in.

We don't need to replace a 30 goal player with a 30 goal player. A 15 goal player will be fine if 5 players score an extra 3 goals each.

Last few years we had Kane and I have been less and less interested and excited about watching Spurs as time went on. He scored 30 league goals last season, but it was a shit season, boring football, terrible defeats so I don't really care that much.

A player scoring 12 goals in a successful, exciting to watch season is worth more to me.
I remember Liverpool in their pomp selling Ian Rush who basically scored 50% of their goals. Then they went and got Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge and absolutely smashed the league to pieces.
Plenty of teams have sold their star striker, it’s all about how you replace them.

Way too much dissecting why Kane has left.

He's gone and so whatever that rumour was, has ultimately been proven to be right. Just goes to show, rarely smoke without fire.

Opportunities for success were there, and you know what, he probably would still have gone if we had won silverware in that time. It happens and if the fee and circumstances is right for us, then so be it.

Those who want to follow Kane's Bayern career can do so. I will focus on us. When Kane plays for England I hope he does well. Other than that I could not give two sh!ts.

History now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom