Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was it written? It seems it was a verbally agreed number.

Christian Purslow has just confirmed the Grealish deal. Says that Grealish was assured that if a CL club came in for him and Villa weren't qualified, he would be allowed to leave for £100m.

If it's written in a contract then you don't have to assure anything.
Christian Purslow quote " last summer following interest from a number of clubs we offered Jack a new contract to stay at the club. Which he accepted with one proviso....Jack wanted to be certain if at any point a CL (and AV were not in that comp) club came in for him we would not stand in his way. For that reason we agreed to incorporate a 'so called' release clause into his contract. Our board set this value at £100m..end quote.

But Levy took a year to get Paratici in. Again, no plan Guido. focus on Levy and you will see that we are rudderless.

And I don't have faith in Paratici anyway. Don't know why anyone would. He was brought in just like the last Italian guy during Bale's time. he will be gone in a year. If you focus you will see the patterns Guido. Harry is gone, gone, gone.

And I don't have faith in Nuno either. I remember his time at Valencia and have seen Wolves. Just getting in rando Portuguese player X from Mendes' stable doesn't mean he's got an eye for a player.

We are in a state and because of it I cannot imagine why folks are faulting him for not wanting to take his talent to the Europa Conference League. He's 29yo FFS! Maybe if folks would have recognized the downfall in it's nascent stages they wouldn't be so surprised at the ramifications. Your boy Levy doesn't know what he's doing. And it all could have been avoided. Oh the good times.
All that may or may not be true.

But doesn't change the fact that we have a brand new DoF and brand new head coach. This calls for calm, control and execution. Levy's been here before, so I'm entirely confident with him in our default position around Kane, in fact, it might just be even harder to deal with him this time now there's a Paratici sized wall to act as a gatekeeper.

I've said before the only question mark I have on Kane the player is he doesn't press anymore. My gut tells me that he genuinely can't (because there was little evidence with him doing it under Mason when others pressed higher at the time) rather than the dinosaurs tactics where no one pressed. Kane is still a World Class striker but if he really can't press then this affects the entire team's structure and compromises a lot.

But, but, but I'd be more confident in feeling that Paratici has spent time with Nuno agreeing on a specific profile of player and identifying a clutch that fits that bill. (I liked the story I read of Paratici having a wall of shelving in his office of DVD's Entitled Barzagli 2008(??). Why? Just feeds the confidence that a detailed man is scouting. Basically would want to feel that he's got 10 offices at Hotspur Way each one with DVD's on specific players that we are scouting with a specific purpose and plan.

Totally agree that it’s ridiculous to have your amateur brother as your agent, but I am sure Levy would take a dim view of any non-absurd release clause.

Kane would not have gotten 200kpw with a clause like that, I’m certain of it.

Maybe not in 2018..... But if they'd got back round a table last summer; he'd have presumably done it if meant securing another year or more on what is no longer considered a mega-wage.......

Probably not at a pissy £100m though....

Probably a sliding scale.... eg:
3yrs left 160m
2 yrs 120m
1yr 80m

This may very well be the case; certainly not blind to that possibility.

However, until City make a realistic ballpark bid then why should we show OUR hand?

We're not 'active' sellers in this scenario so why should we act like one
?
Because we have a player desperate to leave. What is the point of City blindly bidding without knowing what Levy would be prepared to accept. Even if Levy bluntly says 200 million it gives the negotiations something to work with.

No public noise but imo talks have been going on in private between the two clubs. Levy doesn't want to sell, but he knows he is going to have to like he did with Berbatov, Modric, Bale and Walker. Once a player desperately wants to go there is only so long you can hold onto him.
If a deal is done it will be after we play them. Levy's not having Kane, even in the stands, against us on the first day of the season

Because we have a player desperate to leave. What is the point of City blindly bidding without knowing what Levy would be prepared to accept. Even if Levy bluntly says 200 million it gives the negotiations something to work with.

But that's just the proverbial game of poker..... That's the leverage we currently have...... Sure, City have their own cards; but that's the hand that we have.

No-one knows the extent of this "desperation"; a fair amount here think the 'striking' is Harry being badly advised (and maybe led on by City)..... Many don't think Kane has the balls to fuck around for a year and wreck his personal targets if we don't sell.

As always it's a massive high-stakes game of 'bluff'.... One that is comparatively simple for you or I to indulge in as we face no real world fall-out for our judgement (or lack thereof)..... We're both playing 'fantasy chairman' right now.

Last edited:
As I'm not reading this thread, this may have already been posted, so apologies in advance, but a Villa supporter tweeted this remark - "going to Man C to win trophies is like losing your virginity to a prostitute!"

All that may or may not be true.
Mealy mouth answer Guids. If there's something that 'may not' be true then show it. Hint, there isn't. Everything there has reason for justified belief or evidence to support it. We've had a year +.
But doesn't change the fact that we have a brand new DoF and brand new head coach.
Whose fault is that? A) that we had to get new ones and B) that they are only here after the longest DOF and coaching searches EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Levy's been here before, so I'm entirely confident with him
#ENICRULES He's been here before and fucked it too.
But, but, but I'd be more confident in feeling that Paratici has spent time with Nuno agreeing on a specific profile of player and identifying a clutch that fits that bill. (I liked the story I read of Paratici having a wall of shelving in his office of DVD's Entitled Barzagli 2008(??). Why? Just feeds the confidence that a detailed man is scouting. Basically would want to feel that he's got 10 offices at Hotspur Way each one with DVD's on specific players that we are scouting with a specific purpose and plan.
He took Ramsey with no idea how the kid played ie not a real MFer. No implicit faith in this guy. Probably a charlatan like most others in football.

...except for the fact that he has known for a year of Harry's intentions yet here we are...and...

Yes, 100M is a reasonable offer IMO. If he feels he can get more then that's on him but as always this shit isn't done heading into a new season. And City's Grealish offer seems to be 75M + 25M addons. And who is to say what the value of a 29yo striker with bad ankles, limit mobility, and a penchant for tapins is? Is there an index you can point me toward? I'd snatch your hand off for Grealish + 25M and 25M and move on.
He’s 28

With Nuno declining press questions about Kane going on strike, the most logical explanation is that he thinks the situation is rescue-able.

I still want to see Harry in a Spurs shirt but I’ve lost a lot of respect for him.

Not what I said but feel free to knock down that particular strawman if the rest of what I posted is too hermetically sealed.
It is what you said. You're not impressed by tap-ins.

There is some truth to the rest of what you said. It is also incredibly over-simplified and ironic. Ironic because it has the tone of someone thinking they are providing insight and education, whilst also ignoring the fact that you can't easily replace goal scorers (who also happen to lead the league in assists).

You basically admit below that replacing his production will have to come from several players...but you don't rate him. It's hilarious really.
But to humor you what percentage of Harry's goals aren't tapins?
You tell me since it's your argument. How many assists last year were tap-ins?
That's not a knock against Harry. That's a knock against the lumbering carthorses that take up the typical striker role. I hear Andy Carroll is free right now. Would he tickle your fancy?

You should ask Villa since they just did it.

If we had the gumption from above it would be easier to make ourselves a better 'team' with that much money to spend. But if you still desire being the Harry Kane team then no amount of money can help us.

I'm fine selling Kane at the right price. I'm just not willing to forego reality and pretend like he's just another striker. We can and will survive without him. That doesn't mean his impact is easily replaced.

It's just really strange to make the comment that you don't rate strikers, while you also point out we could buy 4+/- players for what he's going to cost. You may not rate strikers, but you know who does? Football clubs.

Last edited:
Mealy mouth answer Guids. If there's something that 'may not' be true then show it. Hint, there isn't. Everything there has reason for justified belief or evidence to support it. We've had a year +.

Whose fault is that? A) that we had to get new ones and B) that they are only here after the longest DOF and coaching searches EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

#ENICRULES He's been here before and fucked it too.

He took Ramsey with no idea how the kid played ie not a real MFer. No implicit faith in this guy. Probably a charlatan like most others in football.
But none of that matters as this is what we have. This is our starting point, a new DoF and a new head coach.

Levy didn't fuck the Bale deal and didn't fuck the Modric deal, got massive fees for both from non-PL rival clubs. Whatever anyone says about the reinvestment of the funds (a lot has been said so will not bring up again) we did improve after both were sold.

But none of that matters as this is what we have. This is our starting point, a new DoF and a new head coach.

Levy didn't fuck the Bale deal and didn't fuck the Modric deal, got massive fees for both from non-PL rival clubs. Whatever anyone says about the reinvestment of the funds (a lot has been said so will not bring up again) we did improve after both were sold.
True

Back
Top Bottom