Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolute balderdash.
I think a lot of you misinterpreted my post. I've been one of Kane's biggest critics this season. He's been poor, there's no doubt about it. I just don't think he's receiving much help from his teammates either, e.g. Rose and Walker are completely starving him of crosses

There are no shots that "should have gone in". That's a stupid statement. Unless it's hit the bar, and even then, it already means it was not good enough to go in. He's taken a lot of mediocre shots and obviously they have not gone in.

He needs to pass more but either he's too cocky, he's under too much pressure or Pochettino doesn't deal with the situation. Either way, he and Poch are to blame.
Are they also to "blame" for the goals scored last year? If a keeper makes a brilliant save is it the striker's fault?

He hasn't been taking mediocre shots. His shooting locations have been essentially similar to last year. Now, arguments can be made he's not striking the ball as cleanly as last year, and sometimes defenders are blocking more of his shots by reacting to him sooner because they're looking for him specifically, but the chart I linked to showed that he's not shooting from poor locations, compared to strikers who've had significantly more goals. Sometimes stuff just happens and the ball doesn't go in, for whatever reason. But good strikers keep shooting because the ball eventually will go in again. If Messi doesn't score for 3 games, it's called a crisis and people trot out all sorts of excuses. Then he scores and everyone forgets the matter.

Kane's lack of goals is unusual. Based on where he's shooting from, and how many times he shoots, more goals should have been scored. They have for his peers (in some cases, many more than should have been, in fact). At some point in the future, Kane will be scoring more. No one can predict exactly when, only that it seems likely based on what has happened in the past, and what he's doing now.

Also, he's still a very young player, and people tend to forget that young players don't mature in smooth curves. They have bursts of success and then fallow periods. Bale had that for us, and Kane, in his own loan spells previously also had a similar pattern. We're seeing that again now. Things will change and he will find the net more.

Oh come on... saying that he is a one-season-wonder? There are many factors why it is not working out for him right now.

Defenders are marking him more, that's something he will get used to over this season. We have got two league games coming up against teams who can't defend. He will contribute in these two, one way or another.

We had 12 games this season so far... Kane started everyone of them and 2 on international duty. He isn't getting any rest and for me that is down to Levy failing on the Berahino deal. He can't be replaced if needed. And Chadli is out now too.

He also barely gets any service, the only real opportunity he had was from Eriksen from outside of the box. Other than that, he was left alone in Liverpool's half for most of the time.

And even with all this, he keeps the shape of the team and contributes to our game. He works back (Cavani-like sometimes), stretches the defence while putting our front three in action. If he has to play against Anderlecht aswell, watch him closely, not only if he is infront or in the box.

The main point is the missing replacement or back-up striker. I can't think of a club right now which doesn't have atleast two strikers. We need a free agent or buy one in winter.

Probably the nicest gooner to ever play for Spurs?

Lr8YY9b.gif

I watched MOTD last night and (forgive me if I have a bit of a selective memory) except for Sterling's second goal it seemed that every striker who scored got the ball in a better position than HK received anything against Liverpool. Also in general they were scoring with a lot of players crashing the box and overwhelming the defense. Yes, HK is still getting shots off and yes he has been a bit unlucky, but mainly I think he is getting worn down without a lot of support. Maybe not an accident that our defense is looking much more solid, but he is very isolated most of the time. He made one superb pass to Njie which was probably the only time he had a wide open striker with him - great and unselfish decision. Njie shot wide

(Unrelated thought: how nice to be debating footy again instead of slagging each other off about what might have been said last season)

Not a fan of 4-2-3-1 it's too easy to mark the striker out of the game. Unless you have free scoring AM's it doesn't seem to work. Harry was isolated at first against Pool, then had to come very deep to get the ball. Son's injury has really hurt us.

I'm usually on the side of the 'apologists' when it comes to Spurs. I like and support the people of this club. But I have to say that saying Kane isn't getting service or doesn't get any clear cut chances is absolutely rubbish.

Every striker that scored this round did so from getting balls in better positions? He had a 1v1 against the keeper, one open shot opportunity from the edges of the box, and several balls that a non turtle would have created a chance from.

I'm not having a go at him, but it's a fact that his lack of pace and acceleration makes him a bit harder to assist. But he does have at least a couple of good scoring opportunities every game.

Last year he did get more though. That's not just about the players around him, I'd say it's more about him. He is more clumsy with the ball, he is less confident, and he doesn't help his mates help him the same way he did last season. He walks into sloppy offsides, and has scored 3(?) from offside positions.

Anyone remember last season, when he made a cross from the left, then made a run into the box and picked up the rebound from the finish?

Kane still works hard, but not like that.

He needs to understand that he's out there to work his ass off for the team, not to score 40 a season and sell underwear.

I think Harry's issues are two-fold.

First, he's been pretty unlucky thus far in some of his shooting. Statsbomb lays the case out today pretty well:
Fun, Order And Klopp: Week 9 in the Premier League

But for those who'll go tldr, basically Harry is not shooting quite as much as last year, and has had an abnormally small number go in.

He's taken 11 shots. Of those, it's most likely that at least 3, maybe 4 should have gone in. They haven't. That's partly just randomness, I think, and we'll see that change in future.

I think partly though, his problem is that he feels he needs to be scoring more, and is taking some shots which he shouldn't be. Teams now identify him as a threat, and they also know he's going to be trying shots when he should instead be making the pass to players in better shooting positions. Since they know he won't make that pass, defences are comfortable in swarming him and cutting off the space he needs. Unless other plays pass to him less and shoot more themselves (making the defence have to stop focusing on Harry), or Harry himself passes more (forcing the defence to do the same thing, and give him more space for his own shots), he's not going to get the chances he needs.

I think the solutions is between these two points. Harry needs to shot less and pass more, to force opposing defences to give him more space, and he needs to relax as the shots he is taking will start going in more in the near future.

I would still give him a rest against Anderlecht, as too many minutes too early in a year will make for massive fatigue issues later.

Theres nothing random about shooting straight at a keeper, either he doesn't have the confidence to shoot to the corners more and is just trying to get them on target or he is thinking less and just hoping.
I'm not sure which is worse tbh but he desperately needs to find some kind of form for his sake and ours as a collective.

I think the solutions is between these two points. Harry needs to shot less and pass more, to force opposing defences to give him more space, and he needs to relax as the shots he is taking will start going in more in the near future.

He needs to make the right decision when appropriate. He needs to get back to doing things simple. Take his shots, pass when necessary. I feel he's snatching at shots, he's not relaxed, over thinking his play. He is over compensating getting his shots on target. When you do this, you tend to hit the keeper rather than hit the corners. He needs rest, support and some guidance - he is still a young man at the top of his sport and relatively new at it.
He has a lot to live up to from the standards he has set and I feel has become a little self conscious and looking at himself from outside rather than inside?

After the Liverpool match I am officially starting to worry about Harry. Those two chances he absolutely has to bury. After we failed to buy another striker many including myself were on here worried. He has all the pressure mounting on him he is pressing and there is no other option to rest him. We have nobody to blame but ourselves.

FWIW I still think Harry is quality but he is badly in need of a rest to clear his head. With Chadli and Son out injured now we don't even have a makeshift option to give him a breather. It is ridiculous we have put Harry and ourselves in this situation. Levy can fuck right off.

Every striker that scored this round did so from getting balls in better positions? He had a 1v1 against the keeper, one open shot opportunity from the edges of the box, and several balls that a non turtle would have created a chance from.
I dunno. When he broke through for that 1 on 1 shot he actually received the ball a lot deeper with a lot to do. He did well to get the shot on target but Mignolet had a good game. I think my point is still valid that the supply he is getting is underwhelming. He got nothing like the pass he made to Njie. The commentators got all excited about the long through ball Eriksen tried but that went right to Mignolet. Etc etc.

You're right about the sloppy offsides - he seems to be getting a ton of them - but of course part of that is the passes coming late when Lamella etc have finished their bit and want to pass, not nice and early when the CF makes his run and wants it

Back
Top Bottom