Gutted

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Saints fan in peace ...Gutted as well , but thought I needed to raise something with you guys .
Poch doesnt play attacking free flowing football !.....even Levy mentioned it in his welcome which is worrying !

The style of play you are going to see is pretty to watch and its great to see you team having 60 + possession but dont be fooled by it , its possession pressing football not free flowing attacking football. You will see a lot of play across your backline and picking into the midfield and back.
we didnt win one game from behind last season , because once the opposition score they dont care if you have the ball.
As i said gutted he has gone he was good for Saints , but as one fan to another dont be fooled by the possession % it means nothing , goals for are everything .

Wish you luck with new season.

Thanks. Yes, this is a very good point. It was exactly the same with AVB. LOTS of possession but if you conceed first, you're fucked. I think Levy and the board are sold on the idea that this is the way to play though and to a degree we have bought some of the right players for it, Lloris being the best example.
My hope is that Poch is able to get more out of our players than he did yours. Not saying he didnt get much out of your players, quite the opposite in fact, but perhaps there is more pottential with the later and arguably higher quality squad we have. We'll have to see, but I think it's an interesting observation you make about the main weakness to the way Poch's teams play (I am assuming it was the same at Espanyol, but I don't actually know).

Good luck to you in getting the right new manager in. You appear to be a well run club nowadays with great youth policy. With the right manager you should go from strength to strength. Losing players sucks but if you make big profit on them and reinvest then you produce more great playes, it's not so bad. Losing a manager sucks worst though because you dont get the selling fee (though it sounds like at least you got something in this case - £2M according to the press).

Last edited:
It goes both ways. Yes, it does suggest we choose poorly, but conversely if the gents we were firing consistently went on to success in big leagues elsewhere, then it'd reflect quite poorly upon us.
My point was about anyone being lulled into a sense of security that Pochetino is a long term appointment as he jumped ship after only 18 months at S'hampton

By that Logic we're the problem, not the managers we hire:capouestare:
what logic - it was a question?

I can't think of any of our managers who have gone on to manage other clubs to success and glory - or who have stepped up to a higher level.
All I can remember is a series of managerial failures who have not made the grade
The closest I can think of was Venables who went on to manage England

Sorry I meant to say since Bill Nick, which is the limit of my personal experience with the club

My point was about anyone being lulled into a sense of security that Pochetino is a long term appointment as he jumped ship after only 18 months at S'hampton
I tend to think in situations like this if he does well enough to attract the attention of the biggest clubs
a) He will be leaving us in much better shape than he found us, or
b) We will be in such a position he might not think its worth going!

Feel bad for Southampton..they gave us good fight for 7th place this season :paulinhobored:
...On the other hand .Pochettino might just be the perfect manager for Spurs -plays great football, his sides tend to have a fearless attitude and he himself doesnt indulge in unnecessary drama !
The like of Sandro , Paulinho will shine under him methinks

I do feel for Southampton.

If they can replace Pochettino well they stand half a chance, but I cant help thinking this will be a collapse for them.

Problem is, the manager got about as much out of them as possible, lose him, look likely to lose their captain and possibly 1 or 2 other key players - could very well struggle badly.

And we all know if you get off to a bad start the season is extremely long and unforgiving.

I dont want it to happen to them, I like them - but fear thats how it will go.

Thanks, good to have perspective from a Saints fan.
When Redknapp came to us, a lot of people didn't think he would do well but I knew he would because I had seen what he could do at Portsmouth (sorry, but Portmouth fans in the family) so I had paid a fair amount of attention to how he did there and knew what we were getting. Effectively, he was underrated at that point.

If it's that bloke with the bell I'm going to neg rep everything I see you post

:llorisserious:

Problem is, the manager got about as much out of them as possible, lose him, look likely to lose their captain and possibly 1 or 2 other key players - could very well struggle badly.

And we all know if you get off to a bad start the season is extremely long and unforgiving.

I dont want it to happen to them, I like them - but fear thats how it will go.
we could let them have Rose, to say sorry. Is Bentley off the books???
Southampton fans may have improved over the years, but having been there a few times in the 80s and spent a lot of the games getting pelted with sharpened coins then I find it difficult to feel anything like your level of sympathy.
They still whine about us taking Chivers off them and they are only too pleased to stick it to Spurs at every opportunity.
Good to see they have some likeable fans, but fuck it - this is the game, we get pillaged for talent, so do they.
Maybe Pompey will come up as they go down, then they can have something to let their anger out on.

so we're going to get less points and goals than under the 'dim-witted, clueless etc'

Gutted

But it will be 'free-flowing and pressing and organised' - marvellous -NOT

Oh and according to the Poch lovers we should all get behind him, but it was okay to slag off Tim, AVB, Harry, Ramos, whoever - fandabedoozie or summat like that, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom