Guglielmo Vicario

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Made some super saves today. That low save of Clark's excellent shot at 64' was crucial.

Only thing I've noticed with Vic is that his aerial play needs a little more work. Directing his punches away from oppo and generally imposing himself a bit more.

He needs to pass the ball quicker though. Has that similar frustrating Romero style of standing still and waiting for defender to come before making an obvious pass to Radu. Just get it done quicker, son!

Getting a reputation as soft on corners. Likely not all to blame, as he probably doesn't get much help. Not aided by the fact we are not a big team in terms of size.

Also surprised to read we dont have a set piece coach. I think we might need to rethink that.

Getting a reputation as soft on corners. Likely not all to blame, as he probably doesn't get much help. Not aided by the fact we are not a big team in terms of size.

Also surprised to read we dont have a set piece coach. I think we might need to rethink that.
He dealt with the corners well last night. The goal comes from zonal marking. Zonal marking is not for me. If the delivery and run is right then you will concede. Players watch the ball and have no awareness of what is around them. With zonal marking players take less responsibility. Give them a player to pick up and tell them to do their job. If that guy scores then you know where the issue is.

He dealt with the corners well last night. The goal comes from zonal marking. Zonal marking is not for me. If the delivery and run is right then you will concede. Players watch the ball and have no awareness of what is around them. With zonal marking players take less responsibility. Give them a player to pick up and tell them to do their job. If that guy scores then you know where the issue is.
In basketball parlance, our opponents are just 'setting picks and screens' for Vicario on corner kicks.

Overloading our six-yard box with big bodies.

I haven't watched highlights or rewatched the match, but watching live (on TV) I thought Antonio was standing in the exact spot Vicario should've been, and instead of moving him out of the way, Vicario, backing into his own goal, chose to move towards the near-side post, but the header went to far-post.

Antonio was also backing into Vicario, screening him.

This will be an issue until he's strong enough (mentally and/or physically) to fight through this, as defending corners appears to be a weakness of ours that every opponent has zeroed-in on.

The lost art of the goalkeeper's two-fisted, one-knee-up punch, with 'elbows out' for a little extra sauce.

Also, I'm curious if the general phase-out of defenders on near-post only/both posts for corners was backed by any data or was more of a "vibe" (new school) thing?

View: https://www.tiktok.com/@limon01801/video/7345112141743131909

I don't think it's a matter of mental or physical strength. He's big enough to win such physical encounters and has shown to also be brave enough when it came to throwing himself in front of kicking opponents.

I think it's about not knowing what he's allowed to do. He could fight his way to the ball but then he could conceed a PK.
The fact of the matter is that none of us, not Vicario, not AP know what keepers can or cannot do in such situations. Keepers are not as protected as they used to be.

Tbh I don’t think Vic can do much about it! I watch a lot of goalkeeping clips each week and it’s close to impossible to command your box when you have a man on your toes in front of you! You can’t get the run or space to claim an in swinger. This is the same for every keeper and not just Vic. You could use a man to keep their guy off Viv, but any slight touch and the opponent goes down and it’s a penalty

It's just odd.

The third goal is, by the letter of the law, a foul on Vicario.

It's barely any different to what the Chelsea goal was disallowed for yesterday.
Why on earth aren't we geared up for it though? The word is out on vicario in relation to corners now. Quite why they've decided you can now obstruct the keeper, or more to the point our keeper, when you never used to be allowed to so much as fart near them without giving a free kick away I've no idea. But they have. We need someone on the opposition player who is tasked with obstructing vicario. Sarr started doing it in the second half. And then they stopped doing it when they realised we had started to defend against it. But the horse had bolted by then. There must be a reason why we're taking a conscious decision not to try and protect him. I'm fucked if I know what it is though.

Last edited:
Why on earth aren't we geared up for it though? The word is out on vicario in relation to corners now. Quite why they've decided you can now obstruct the keeper, or more to the point our keeper, when you never used to be allowed to so much as fart near them without giving a free kick away I've no idea. But they have. We need someone on the opposition player who is tasked with obstructing vicario. Sarr started doing it in the second half. And then they stopped doing it when they realised we had started to defend against it. But the horse had bolted by then. There must be a reason why we're taking a conscious decision not to try and protect him. I'm fucked if I know what it is though.
We can criticise the opponents for obstructing him, but he needs to be more physical and aggressive and command his box better at corners. No use being a brilliant shot stopper when you cant even push your opponent away in a more brutal manner to mark your authority in YOUR 6 yard box

We can always do the same to opponents’ keepers.We are too nice to do that though.

needs to be far stronger next year when defending corners. players surrounding him knowing hes going to be weak. he has to be physically a lot stronger and not allow himself to be bullied.

Back
Top Bottom