glory, glory tottenham hotspur?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
ZoC said:
when did the tradition start to play "glory, glory tottenham hotspur", chas & dave's mangling of spurs' famous anthem, at the end of winning home matches?

im(not so)ho, this is sacrilege, and another example of how the people running the club are two-bob who don't really appreciate our history...
Been doing it for as long as I've been going for over 25 years.
Said they've been playing it for over 25 years after the match, not I've been singing it. Don't be so patronising and READ my answer.

don't be so sensitive.

Thelonious said:
I don't mind GGTH personally, I associate it with us winning at home.

yes but the same would apply to "i'm a barbie girl", if they'd played that for the last 25 years at the end of every home win.

I still prefer Macnamara's Band at the start of the 2nd half m'self... but then I'm just an old fashioned fart who refuses to move forward!!

1882 said:
I still prefer Macnamara's Band at the start of the 2nd half m'self... but then I'm just an old fashioned fart who refuses to move forward!!

don't put yourself down, mate. ur surname may be "82" but ur first name's still only "18"!

and a football club's nothing without its ethos, history, culture and traditions.

I love the Star Wars entrance, better than bloody Profokiev or Z-Cars. I agree about Glory, Glory Hallelujah, it's the one song that feels ours; "It's A Grand Old Team" - Everton/Celtic, "Oh When The Spurs" - just about every team ever.

ZoC said:
yes but, chas & dave could always do a rewrite:

"i'm a tottenham girl, in a tottenham world. life in plastic, it's fantastic!" :)
once again, they haven't though have they? :)

I prefer GGH obviously, sends a tingle down my spine hearing it. But GGTH isn't the worst song in the world.

ollieXcore said:
I love the Star Wars entrance, better than bloody Profokiev or Z-Cars. I agree about Glory, Glory Hallelujah, it's the one song that feels ours; "It's A Grand Old Team" - Everton/Celtic, "Oh When The Spurs" - just about every team ever.

I assume Man Utd nicked it off us then... rather than the other way round??

Macnamara's Band is the one 'odd' song that is non-football related, but is totally ours and ours alone...

I guess Stoke can claim a similar phenomenon, but at least ours isn't a fucking Tom Jones karaoke classic!!

I'm sure I can remember some debate on another forum waaay back where someone said Celtic or some other shit club was using Glory Glory way before either us or Manure?

To be fair when we sing it we sing Glory, Glory Hallelujah. Not sure I've heard anyone substituting it for 'Tottenham Hotspur'. We sing 'Spurs go marching in' more than Hallelujah though.

Hibs were the first in the 50s. We were in the 60s. Utd was 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_Glory_(football_chant)

spooky said:
To be fair when we sing it we sing Glory, Glory Hallelujah. Not sure I've heard anyone substituting it for 'Tottenham Hotspur'. We sing 'Spurs go marching in' more than Hallelujah though.
At Champions League games last season, you'd hear Tottenham Hotspur more than Hallelujah. :wall:

Dicko said:
I'm sure I can remember some debate on another forum waaay back where someone said Celtic or some other shit club was using Glory Glory way before either us or Manure?

Celtic sing It's a Grand Old Team... which is actually called the Celtic Song. We sing it, and so do Everton.

Thelonious said:
spooky said:
At Champions League games last season, you'd hear Tottenham Hotspur more than Hallelujah. :wall:

BAN THEM FROM ATTENDING

ZoC said:
don't be so sensitive.
Sensitive? Moi? :gio:

Seriously, though, my first match was the opener of the '86/'87 season. They played the Chas n Dave version when the teams CAME OUT out and did so up until the Star Wars type music fairly recently. I reckon they started it in the '82/'83 season, as the song was the FA Cup final song for '82.

So, they've been playing it for many years. Maybe nearly 30.

However, like others, I was always confused why they played it after a draw. Very odd.

spooky said:
Thelonious said:
spooky said:

BAN THEM FROM ATTENDING

that's a f*cking great idea.

Back
Top Bottom