Gareth Bale Appreciation Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Naively living in the real world, I wanted him and expected him to stay at Spurs. Understanding living in the real world , I agree, cash in. No player is bigger than the club and £100 m is hard to turn down, even for Bale.

I agree. I wanted him sold and was neg repped to fuck for saying it.

Im glad he's gone, just not gonna defend the way he treated the club, because he said he loves me..
:harryfacepalm:

So, for those who counted Bale as their favorite play at Spurs, who replaces him in your eyes?

For me, the man crush on Super Jan only strengthens all the more.

:vert:

Vertonghen.jpg
Vertonghen was my favourite before Bale left. The Welshman is a fantastic footballer, but he doesn't have the class on the ball that The Belgian has #baller

Oh so very wrong.

He was a Tottenham player.

Not nearly, basically or anything else. He was a Tottenham player 100%, and he was not given permission to be off on the Tuesday. He was expected to be at training by the manager.

If you think differently then you have a huge lack of respect for this club.
But he would've left had he turned up to training. The damage was done when he missed our first two games through 'injury'. That's where he "disrespected the club" if that's what you want to call it. Why is it so essential that a player who is about to leave comes to training? I wouldn't want him training near first team players in any case.

But he would've left had he turned up to training. The damage was done when he missed our first two games through 'injury'. That's where he "disrespected the club" if that's what you want to call it. Why is it so essential that a player who is about to leave comes to training? I wouldn't want him training near first team players in any case.

The whole debacle is why I have formed my opinion of him. Missing games, not turning up etc....its all the same thing in my eyes.

Im not going to say "its not worth him turning up" just because he was already acting the cunt.

He made AVB and Spurs look like tiny little fools in front of the world. He could have simply shown us some respect. Thats it for me.

The whole debacle is why I have formed my opinion of him. Missing games, not turning up etc....its all the same thing in my eyes.

Im not going to say "its not worth him turning up" just because he was already acting the cunt.

He made AVB and Spurs look like tiny little fools in front of the world. He could have simply shown us some respect. Thats it for me.

I maintain that Levy would've been a fool to NOT have a one-to-one with Bale and tell him, in no uncertain terms, you cannot play or train. In that scenario - does that mean Levy AND Bale are showing a lack of respect for the club?

Ultimately, this deal could've ended up being less profitable for us - had any news been leaked. Give the slightest inclination that Bale wants to go - transfer request, word from friends, quote from his dad, whatever - that weakens Spurs' position.

I think it was played exactly right, personally - proven by the fact that we got our price. Especially true given that we got several players in to replace him and strengthen the squad.

I know its your opinion, but fucking hell mate.

Where is your proof that he intentionally missed training? How do you know he wasnt told to stay away from training? Its not a case of fining a player if you feel like he deserves it. If a player misses training, they get fined. Bale did NOT get fined.

Also, where is your proof that Bale refused to play? He picked up an injury and had scans on said injury. He played (and scored) against Swindon in preseason whilst RM were interested, hardly refusing to play then was he?

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that he showed us a lack of respect?! He has held his silence throughout and respected the wishes of the club. He could have easily handed in a transfer request and spoke the press that stalked him outside his house every day all summer but he didnt.

The fact that you compare him to Luka Modric is incredibly laughable. Were talking about a guy who spoke to the press at every opportunity he had, and met Roman Abramovich on his yacht when we were rejecting offers from Chelsea.

Wise up FFS

I maintain that Levy would've been a fool to NOT have a one-to-one with Bale and tell him, in no uncertain terms, you cannot play or train. In that scenario - does that mean Levy AND Bale are showing a lack of respect for the club?

Ultimately, this deal could've ended up being less profitable for us - had any news been leaked. Give the slightest inclination that Bale wants to go - transfer request, word from friends, quote from his dad, whatever - that weakens Spurs' position.

I think it was played exactly right, personally - proven by the fact that we got our price. Especially true given that we got several players in to replace him and strengthen the squad.

I should probably leave this thread because I am agreeing with sammyspurs too much. He can talk for himself, but...

For me it all depends on when Levy accepted Bale was for sale, put a valuation on him, and started entertaining bids from Madrid. If it was before Bale refused to train/play then what Bale did wasn't that disrespectful to AVB, but what Levy did was.

However, if it was after that incident, then Bale disrespected AVB, and Levy did well to get the price that he did.

I still don't know, but from AVB's comments, the latter seems more likely...

I should probably leave this thread because I am agreeing with sammyspurs too much. He can talk for himself, but...

For me it all depends on when Levy accepted Bale was for sale, put a valuation on him, and started entertaining bids from Madrid. If it was before Bale refused to train/play then what Bale did wasn't that disrespectful to AVB, but what Levy did was.

However, if it was after that incident, then Bale disrespected AVB, and Levy did well to get the price that he did.

I still don't know, but from AVB's comments, the latter seems more likely...

I believe @ AberdeenYid AberdeenYid had the right of it ages ago. We've been spending the Bale money all summer.

Levy probably accepted that Bale was for sale from early in the window, if not before that. I say that based NOT on what's come out in the press but from the actions. It is not beyond reason to say Levy saw a unique opportunity in Bale - to sell Spurs to the world. However, that quickly crumbled when he saw how badly Bale wanted to go. What do you do when you've got the world's most hyped player for two months? You put him everywhere you can. And you arrange for his replacements.

I'd say that how much of this plan Levy communicated to AVB and to Bale himself would be limited. I'd go so far as to say that Baldini probably wasn't sure that Bale was going either. This strikes me as great Levy brinksmanship - limit the outflow of information and negotiate personally in the knowledge that Bale wants out and is wanted over there badly enough for them to pay top dollar.

What is also being overlooked - Bale MUST have known about the negotiations, hence the silence. I suspect that Levy told Bale that successful negotiations meant a world-record-breaking transfer fee. Anything less and he'd walk. So it was in Bale's interest, if he couldn't say he was staying, to say nothing.

Before anyone says anything - I realise that this is all speculation. But I'm looking at this from Levy's point of view and the course of action I've described makes the most sense to me.

Was Bale disrespectful to the club in refusing to play/train? Yes. Would I do the same in his shoes? Absolutely - not out of disrespect to the club but in the knowledge that even a minor strain could ruin my chances of a once-in-a-lifetime move.

Where is your proof that he intentionally missed training? How do you know he wasnt told to stay away from training? Its not a case of fining a player if you feel like he deserves it. If a player misses training, they get fined. Bale did NOT get fined.

I have no proof, just quotes from AVB that he thought Bale was "incorrect" not to train, as he was "expected" to be there.

Very, very odd how you keep point blank refusing to acknowledge those quotes

Also, where is your proof that Bale refused to play?

Err, he didnt play this season while he was a Tottenham player...or did he? You think he was injured the whole time then bully for you.

Fit players arent expected to turn up to training.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that he showed us a lack of respect?!

By not turning up for training when his manger expected him to

(notice the consistency in my opinion by now, jeez man, disagree by all means, but dont dismiss as if I havent explained myself before...how many fucking times can I say it?)

The fact that you compare him to Luka Modric is incredibly laughable. Were talking about a guy who spoke to the press at every opportunity he had, and met Roman Abramovich on his yacht when we were rejecting offers from Chelsea.

And Bale was sunbathing in Spain while Tottenham was playing a PL game and not training against the managers wishes. They both refused to work for the club, while Spurs players...there you go

Wise up FFS

Says the man who believes Bale loves all Tottenham fans, and might come back one day

:chicco:

I believe @ AberdeenYid AberdeenYid had the right of it ages ago. We've been spending the Bale money all summer.

Levy probably accepted that Bale was for sale from early in the window, if not before that. I say that based NOT on what's come out in the press but from the actions. It is not beyond reason to say Levy saw a unique opportunity in Bale - to sell Spurs to the world. However, that quickly crumbled when he saw how badly Bale wanted to go. What do you do when you've got the world's most hyped player for two months? You put him everywhere you can. And you arrange for his replacements.

I'd say that how much of this plan Levy communicated to AVB and to Bale himself would be limited. I'd go so far as to say that Baldini probably wasn't sure that Bale was going either. This strikes me as great Levy brinksmanship - limit the outflow of information and negotiate personally in the knowledge that Bale wants out and is wanted over there badly enough for them to pay top dollar.

What is also being overlooked - Bale MUST have known about the negotiations, hence the silence. I suspect that Levy told Bale that successful negotiations meant a world-record-breaking transfer fee. Anything less and he'd walk. So it was in Bale's interest, if he couldn't say he was staying, to say nothing.

Before anyone says anything - I realise that this is all speculation. But I'm looking at this from Levy's point of view and the course of action I've described makes the most sense to me.

Was Bale disrespectful to the club in refusing to play/train? Yes. Would I do the same in his shoes? Absolutely - not out of disrespect to the club but in the knowledge that even a minor strain could ruin my chances of a once-in-a-lifetime move.

I think everything you have said is plausible but, if it went down that way I draw a completely different conclusion... Bale not playing/training wasn't really disrespectful at all. Not in comparison to Levy lying to AVB, Daws, King, and any other ambassadors of THFC that answered the question honestly to the worldwide media thinking that he wasn't for sale and was going to turn up to play/train.

I realise Levy wants the money, but if he wants AVB to succeed, undermining him and selling his best players to Madrid two seasons in a row and holding out till late in the transfer window isn't the best way to improve upon the previous season's team and eventual finishing position. I still remember the justification for the ticket prices under Jol increasing due to a promise of "the next level". It is 7 years down the line and I still wouldn't blame AVB for finishing fifth again this season.

That said, based on AVB's comments, there is sufficient doubt that it played out exactly as described in your post.

One must really have it in for Levy if one is trying to put this on him. Not digging out anyone but come on now lads.

In the end, all parties got what they wanted and it was most certainly discussed throughout with all the included parties (Bale-Barnett/Levy/AVB).

It is done. He is gone and I'm happy to see him talk about us this way and I welcome him back one day. For now I prefer to focus on the players available. Adios, Gareth.

One must really have it in for Levy if one is trying to put this on him. Not digging out anyone but come on now lads.

In the end, all parties got what they wanted and it was most certainly discussed throughout with all the included parties (Bale-Barnett/Levy/AVB).

It is done. He is gone and I'm happy to see him talk about us this way and I welcome him back one day. For now I prefer to focus on the players available. Adios, Gareth.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Levy. Results-wise, we overperform given our stadium and it is down to Levy's financial nous that we do so.

If I was Levy, that is how I would've played it. Whether it happened that way...I'm not certain.

I think ultimately, I don't trust what is said in the media by players, coaches, whoever - AT ALL. It's a big part of the tactics battle that goes on so informing/misinforming/withholding information will, inevitably, have a knock-on effect. As said previously - Levy played a blinder to get as much as we did for a player that Real don't even really need.

In truth - I'm fairly happy with how everything has turned out and am very optimistic for the new season.

8th behind Stoke.

The pain of him leaving was eased somewhat by the signings made and we have to look forward.

Still hurt seeing him in a Real shirt last week though, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with how it came to a head, with the supposed refusal to train. Was it driven by the man himself, or bad advice from his agent?

Either way its onwards & hopefully upwards - but unfortunately the reality, whether we like it or not, is when a bigger fish comes in for our prize possessions chances are they'll take the bait - be it Berbatov, Modric or Bale, we all sang their name, Yids at heart & swore blind their blood ran blue...we say the same now about Jan, Lloris & Sandro, hope we don't end up turning on them next year.

God I feel depressed.

This is what an International break does to you, roll on next week...

Either way its onwards & hopefully upwards - but unfortunately the reality, whether we like it or not, is when a bigger fish comes in for our prize possessions chances are they'll take the bait - be it Berbatov, Modric or Bale, we all sang their name, Yids at heart & swore blind their blood ran blue...we say the same now about Jan, Lloris & Sandro, hope we don't end up turning on them next year.

This is the reality of any business. If you aren't one of the truly great competitors, you can't expect to retain your best employees. Football exacerbates this because headhunting is done of public figures in the public eye.

I have a big fucking problem with how Real did it - but ultimately they did it and FIFA are no closer to acting to stop them. So I guess we just have to deal with it.

As has been mentioned before, we did it to Southampton in the first place to get Bale... I, for one, am just glad that we're as high up the pecking order as we are and that Levy seems to have his intentions on dragging us higher up that stack so that we are truly one of the elite clubs.

Sorry disagreed your comment by mistake, however discovered how to remove it.

"God I feel depressed.

This is what an International break does to you, roll on next week..."
Yes I feel deflated as well - a good tonic will be stuffing Norwich good and proper.

As a fellow Welshman I sincerely hope he gets mild sunburn. I'll forgive him after that. Talented world beating bastard #LOVEBALEHATEREAL
Flap those ears! I honestly hope he goes on to be the best player in the world. looking forward to watching him play. Spurs will march on regardless.
Bales world record transfer - “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.”
Groucho Marx

I was willing to wish him well on a successful career, but seeing him kiss the badge actually fucking hurt a bit. I am trying to justify his actions as the Perez "show and tell show circus" must have been crazy stressful to perform his tricks and shit, but kissing the badge first day? Fucking hell!

Back
Top Bottom