Frank de Boer – A good fit for Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the one thing we'll be able to thank Sherwood for is uniting our fan base behind his successor. Apart from a few WUM's, everyone's been so eager for him to go that the sense of relief and kudos the new man will get for "not being Sherwood" will buy them more time.

FDB coz of his superior playing career and profile I feel will also get a longer honeymoon period.
My point is exactly that. While the most will get behind the new manager initially, how many losses would it take, if the manager was not FDB, before the boos start ringing out again. We cannot expect the manager to get 'time' if the fans are not behind him and the fans won't really be behind a manager when they wanted someone else in his place.

I don't think all fans have been truly behind a manager since BMJ. Hopefully the new man will get a larger support than those before him.

Tottenham manager search twist as Frank De Boer says he's happy to stay at Ajax
Dutch champions' coach talks up their Champions League challenge amid Spurs' links with Southampton's Pochettino and even Ancelotti
AFC-Ajax-Press-Conference.jpg

Frankly, my dear... De Boer is looking more of a long-shot to become Spurs' new manager
Frank de Boer has claimed he is now ready to stay at Ajax, with Spurs’ interest in him appearing to dwindle.

The four-time, title-winning coach of the Dutch champions has made a string of pitches for the White Hart Lane post suggesting he is willing to hold talks.

The interest from the decorated former defender has left Tottenham fans excited about the prospect of his arrival.

Disappointed De Boer has heard nothing, however, since his claim that the north Londoners contacted his club last month.

Spurs deny an approach, and are understood to be annoyed at De Boer for going public.

They currently have Southampton coach Mauricio Pochettino as favourite to succeed the sacked Tim Sherwood.

Chairman Daniel Levy, however, is also said to be willing to wait until after the Champions League Final next Saturday to see whether Real Madrid stick with boss Carlo Ancelotti.

Should the Italian stay with the Spanish giants, then De Boer could yet come back into the reckoning.

The former Holland captain, though, has suggested he is ready to bow out of the race for the White Hart Lane reins and focus on preparing the Amsterdam giants for next season’s Champions League group stage.

“It seems obvious why I would want to stay at Ajax,” said De Boer. “If we can keep our team together, we can aim higher next season.

“Then, depending on the draw, you can demand from yourself to reach the [knockout] round of the Champions League - I think that’s a great aim to have.

“Look at Feyenoord, which keeps their whole team last year together. If we can keep our team together as Feyenoord, we can lay down higher goals.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ager-search-twist-frank-3551514#ixzz31xgmAle4

Honestly I think this is paper talk filling to void where nothing has actually happened yet.

As predicted on Tuesday: http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/new-manager.10456/page-5#post-550120

Or, I guess, it could be seen as FDB firing a "Hurry up" across Levys bow...

It does seem on here that the majority are with De Boer and that's good to see, what scares me though is on the podcast the lads went for Benitez and Crackers said on the "oh when the spurs" podcast that a poll they took had the fans split 3 ways so no clear favourite

Worring to say the least, surely spurs fans can see FDB a better choice as he would give our fans what we want even outside of the football

If its a 3 way split Im actually happy with that, I think it means there is more chance of whoever comes in being given a chance and not so likely the immediate divisions in the fan base will form.

If its a 3 way split Im actually happy with that, I think it means there is more chance of whoever comes in being given a chance and not so likely the immediate divisions in the fan base will form.

I think a lot of people aren't sold on Pochettino compared to FDB BUT from a personal POV the more likely MP's appointment becomes (even if its media BS) the more I convince myself he could be the right man: "well I suppose he did also play at the top level - for Argentina in WC 98" and "I suppose had So'ton started slower & finished the season strong everyone would be raving about him" etc etc

I think it's as simple as this:

De Boer is the most likely to get us playing attractive attacking football. More likely to bring some good players in by his reputation, and will do well with Eriksen and Vertonghen.

Pochettino is most likely to get the team enjoying their football and getting along well, with experience of the PL meaning he's also likely to be a safer bet than FDB. Less likely to attract big transfers by his reputation.

Benitez is as closed as you get to a guaranteed trophy in some form. Likely to attract good players, but the football may suffer...

Back
Top Bottom