Evens itself out over the season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Marco Silva complaining about a red card today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same guy repeatedly fouled Kane and Alli last week........he was bound to get pulled up on one eventually

"Evens itself out" for Watford today, not for us though.

How the fuck did JJ & The Crap Neville come to the conclusion that it wasn't a red????

"Two footed, studs up BUT...."

Jeeeeezus wept!!! :pochshock:

I keep on seeing games where the officials are the biggest influence on the result out of everyone involved, certainly several of our last few games - even our game today the ref started to protect Stoke's pride in the second half. That's not his job.

5 goals in second half + 5 (6?) subs = 2 mins added?

:dembelefingers:

Away at inter, big crowd, ref allows all the normal Italian gamesmanship....Ok fine if all refs are going to favour the home team

Then we get that twat last night, we were always told the big teams just get home decisions.....We have the biggest home crowd in the champions league

Barca have got hundreds of thousands of fans in London but couldn't even half sell out their section FFS

After Huddersfield a Town fan was telling me they had suffered from refs getting sucked in by the big teams visiting, and referenced their pen shout that got waved away.

I sort of know where he is coming from after last night.

After Huddersfield a Town fan was telling me they had suffered from refs getting sucked in by the big teams visiting, and referenced their pen shout that got waved away.

I sort of know where he is coming from after last night.

Their stadium holds 24,000, stands to reason that PL refs aren't fazed by it.

Try 90,000 on the biggest stage...... :vdvshh:........it's Tottenham, no one will complain

In 27 years of watching Spurs (first match I remember watching being the '91 semi) I've never had the impression that things even themselves out.

tbh decisions that go against your team tend to be seen as 'biased' while decisions that go towards your team tend to be seen as 'fair'.

As a result, it seems like ref's are either biased against us or fair, but never biased for us.
Most of it's about perception. Bad ref decisions that go against us make us angry and we remember them. We tend not to remember dodgy decisions that go our way to the same extent.

Thus when we look back, it always seems like we get bad decisions. It's a mix of confirmation bias, availability bias and selective memory.

It could be that we do get worse decisions on average than other teams, but until I see concrete statistical evidence I will remain skeptical.

Thus when we look back, it always seems like we get bad decisions. It's a mix of confirmation bias, availability bias and selective memory.

Just as an example, here are some howler decisions that have gone our way in big matches in recent memory:

Raheem Sterling's 'handball' when we won 2-1 at city in 2016

Not having anyone sent off during the battle of Stamford Bridge

Kyle Walker avoiding a penalty and red card when pushing down Sterling in the 2-2 draw at the Etihad in 2017

Both penalties at Anfield this year (admit it, they were soft).

Not to mention the fact that over the years I've seen Vertonghen get away with some extraordinary shithousery that is almost never punished and usually works to our favor.

Just as an example, here are some howler decisions that have gone our way in big matches in recent memory:

Raheem Sterling's 'handball' when we won 2-1 at city in 2016

Not having anyone sent off during the battle of Stamford Bridge

Kyle Walker avoiding a penalty and red card when pushing down Sterling in the 2-2 draw at the Etihad in 2017

Both penalties at Anfield this year (admit it, they were soft).
THESE ARE ALL JUST FINE, MOVE ALONG!

:levyeyes:

Not to mention the fact that over the years I've seen Vertonghen get away with some extraordinary shithousery that is almost never punished and usually works to our favor.

Must say, there are so often moments when I see him do something and think, that's it, he's off now, or at least will get a booking and nothing happens.

I think it's his clean cut look that works in his favour there :vertna:

In 27 years of watching Spurs (first match I remember watching being the '91 semi) I've never had the impression that things even themselves out.
Yep I was suckered in by that bloody match too. Decades of stress later...

Just kidding, wouldn't swap Spurs for anyone.

tbh decisions that go against your team tend to be seen as 'biased' while decisions that go towards your team tend to be seen as 'fair'.

As a result, it seems like ref's are either biased against us or fair, but never biased for us.
Most of it's about perception. Bad ref decisions that go against us make us angry and we remember them. We tend not to remember dodgy decisions that go our way to the same extent.

It could be that we do get worse decisions on average than other teams, but until I see concrete statistical evidence I will remain skeptical.
I agree. There have been so many poor decisions against us, but every fan says the same. Except maybe Fergie era Man U fans.

A recent example- we finished above Liverpool last year exactly because of a penalty decision that we saw as fair, yet the Scousers still cry into their 10am pints in the council estate flat-roof-pub about it.

Back
Top Bottom