Europa League 2015/2016

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd rather try to beat Sevilla, Dnipro and Fiorentina to win a cup than overcome two of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool to finish 4th. More chance and a fuck of a lot more glory. Let's leave celebrating not winning the league to that lot down the road. Let's win a cup instead.

I don't think you can tackle the group stage with a second string team. Their lack of cohesion and understanding always shows, and with kids thrown in the mix the lack of experience is also evident.

Rotation is key. I agree. We need the right balance. But from a personal point of view, I'd rather give 100% on a Thursday and piece a squad together for Sunday than the reverse. We're a European team, playing in Europe every year. How long can we continue to just not give a fuck and chase this exceedingly difficult CL dream? And if that is the dream - lets go all out to win EL and fuck our Prem form off. Does it matter if we finish 12th and win EL? I would but some would say no. We should be (and are) capable of balancing the two.

But fucking off the group stage is what gave us a tough draw against Fiorentina. Finishing top of the group and avoiding 3rd placed CL teams is vital to longevity in the EL. We can ill afford to come second in a sub-standard group again, imo.

I know what you mean but finish 8th and don't win the Europa League then you don't have any Europa League the next season. Unless you win one of the other cups which we only get close to very rarely.

There are so many factors that conspire against an English team winning the EL, it's no surprise only a mega-team like Chelsea have managed it in its current reincarnation (as opposed to Fairs Cup and UEFA Cup).
Your delusions just get crazier and crazier!!

I know what you mean but finish 8th and don't win the Europa League then you don't have any Europa League the next season. Unless you win one of the other cups which we only get close to very rarely.
Is there any point being in the EL if we aren't going to bother?

Can't work both ways. Why qualify every year and play the kids? Pointless.

Your delusions just get crazier and crazier!!

Is there any point being in the EL if we aren't going to bother?

Can't work both ways. Why qualify every year and play the kids? Pointless.

I think it needs a distinct strategy with some conviction rather than the half arsed approach that we all agree doesn't work. Half arsed being that one minute it's a second-ish string but we're still dragging first XI players out to Moldova on a Thursday, then the next game we have more first teamers or change the fringe players so much it's all dis-jointed. It's totally game to game, more than it needs to be.

You say go all out and fuck the Sunday, I think that's nuts. We're far closer to 4th than just deciding we're going to really try and win Europa League and succeed in doing so.

Look at the stats, look at the squad we have, identify the core 12-13 players who are the first team and then look at making a balanced as possible side from the rest of the squad for group games. We'll be top seeds, if we can't get through (and win) a group with those players when Poch has the squad he wants and has had a year to drill who's already at the club then we need to be looking at ALL of our personnel.....again!

All the players remaining at the club have had a year under Poch, he MUST have communicated his system and plans to them by now! Those players being added are supposedly going to be to fit his system, specific targets with the attributes he wants so, should fit in far quicker overall if he is genuinely effective in what he's done so far. To me that means less slack this year, he needs to have a plan, a plan b and manage HIS squad far better.

Another reason why I think the bookies are right, or perhaps it's just another way of looking at our history in the competitions which I've already done in a previous post, is that I think we will almost certainly prioritise the Prem over the EL, for most of the season anyway.

So once again it's far more likely we'll have a better chance of top 4 than winning the EL.

For me, the EL should be at the bottom of our priorities during the group stage. By that I mean we should use our 'first XI' for the Prem, and our youth/fringe players for the EL.

Yes there will be 'cross overs' and 'grey areas', but in essence Poch should pick in advance what he thinks is our best team for the Sunday, then the rest can be used for the Europa.

For anyone interested in these stages the draw is as follows..

First qualifying round draw
Víkingur Reykjavík (ISL) v NK Koper
Newtown AFC (WAL) v Valletta FC (MLT)
Glenavon FC (NIR) v FC Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR)
NSÍ Runavík (FRO) v Linfield FC (NIR)
FK Atlantas Klaipėda (LTU) v PFC Beroe Stara Zagora (BUL)
FK Spartaks Jūrmala (LVA) v FK Budućnost Podgorica (MNE)
FC Progrès Niederkorn (LUX) v Shamrock Rovers FC (IRL)
Cork City FC (IRL) v KR Reykjavík (ISL)
University College Dublin AFC (IRL)* v F91 Dudelange (LUX)
FC Sheriff (MDA) v Odds BK (NOR)
FC Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO) v Qäbälä FK (AZE)
FC Differdange 03 (LUX) v Bala Town FC (WAL)
Brøndby IF (DEN) v AC Juvenes/Dogana (SMR)
Debreceni VSC (HUN) v FK Sutjeska (MNE)
FK Crvena zvezda (SRB) v FC Kairat Almaty (KAZ)
FC Aktobe (KAZ) v Nõmme Kalju FC (EST)
Go Ahead Eagles (NED)* v Ferencvárosi TC (HUN)
NK Domžale (SVN) v FK Čukarički (SRB)
FK Kukësi (ALB) v FC Torpedo Zhodino (BLR)
KF Renova (MNE) v FC Dacia Chisinau (MDA)
KF Shkëndija (MKD) v Aberdeen FC (SCO)
MTK Budapest (HUN) v FK Vojvodina (SRB)
FC Ordabasy Shymkent (KAZ) v Beitar Jerusalem FC (ISL)
FC Flora Tallinn (EST) v FK Rabotnicki (MKD)
FC Dinamo Batumi (GEO) v AC Omonia (CYP)
FK Trakai (LTU) v HB Tórshavn (FRO)
Glentoran FC (NIR) v MŠK Žilina (SVK)
Alashkert FC (ARM) v Saint Johnstone FC (SCO)
FK Olimpic Sarajevo (BIH) v FC Spartak Trnava (SVK)
Víkingur (FRO) v Rosenborg BK (NOR)
Skonto FC (LVA) v Saint Patrick's Athletic FC (IRL)
Balzan FC (MLT) v FK Željezničar (BIH)
UE Sant Julià (AND) v Randers FC (DEN)
FK Kruoja Pakruojis (LTU) v Jagiellonia Białystok (POL)
KF Laçi (ALB) v İnter Bakı PİK (AZE)
FK Partizani (ALB) v Strømsgodset IF (NOR)
FK Jelgava (LVA) v PFC Litex Lovech (BUL)
FC Lusitans (AND) v West Ham United FC (ENG)*
SJK Seinäjoki (FIN) v FH Hafnarfjördur (ISL)
FC Lahti (FIN) v IF Elfsborg (SWE)
JK Sillamäe Kalev (EST) v HNK Hajduk Split (CRO)
FC Saxan (MDA) v Apollon Limassol FC (CYP)
FC Shirak (ARM) v HŠK Zrinjski (BIH)
VPS Vaasa (FIN) v AIK Solna (SWE)
FK Mladost Podgorica (MNE) v Neftçi PFK (AZE)
NK Celje (SVN) v WKS Śląsk Wrocław (POL)
SP La Fiorita (SMR) v FC Vaduz (LIE)
Birkirkara FC (MLT) v Ulisses FC (ARM)
AUK Broughton FC (WAL) v NK Lokomotiva Zagreb (CRO)
FC Botoşani (ROU) v Tskhinvali (GEO)
Europa FC (GIB) v SK Slovan Bratislava (SVK)

2nd round draw to be drawn in around 10 minutes. Let's hope for an easy tie for all the British teams, bar WHU, of course.

never heard of them... some nothing team from nowhere! So enlighten me please, who the fuck do FC Lusitans have to play????

West Ham. ;)

They're Andorran. Play in a ground that holds less than 1000. Meaning West Ham might only get 50 tickets...:eek:

Second qualifying round draw
FK Kukësi (ALB)/FC Torpedo Zhodino (BLR) v FK Mladost Podgorica (MNE)/Neftçi PFK (AZE)
FK Atlantas Klaipėda (LTU)/PFC Beroe Stara Zagora (BUL) v Brøndby IF (DEN)/AC Juvenes/Dogana (SMR)
FC Progrès Niederkorn (LUX)/Shamrock Rovers FC (IRL) v FC Sheriff (MDA)/Odds BK (NOR)
AUK Broughton FC (WAL)/NK Lokomotiva Zagreb (CRO) v PAOK FC (GRE)
Cork City FC (IRL)/KR Reykjavík (ISL) v Víkingur (FRO)/Rosenborg BK (NOR)
Hapoel Beer Sheva FC v FC Thun
Europa FC (GIB)/ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK) v University College Dublin AFC (IRL)*/F91 Dudelange (LUX)
VPS Vaasa (FIN)/AIK Solna (SWE) v FC Shirak (ARM)/HŠK Zrinjski (BIH)
FK Crvena zvezda (SRB)/FC Kairat Almaty (KAZ) v Alashkert FC (ARM)/Saint Johnstone FC (SCO)
Go Ahead Eagles (NED)*/Ferencvárosi TC (HUN) v Balzan FC (MLT)/FK Željezničar (BIH)
Legia Warszawa (POL) v FC Botoşani (ROU)/Tskhinvali (GEO)
MTK Budapest (HUN)/FK Vojvodina (SRB) v FK Spartaks Jūrmala (LVA)/FK Budućnost Podgorica (MNE)
SP La Fiorita (SMR)/FC Vaduz (LIE) v FC Aktobe (KAZ)/Nõmme Kalju FC (EST)
KF Renova (MNE)/FC Dacia Chisinau (MDA) v Glentoran FC (NIR)/MŠK Žilina (SVK)
FK Kruoja Pakruojis (LTU)/Jagiellonia Białystok (POL) v FC Dinamo Batumi (GEO)/AC Omonia (CYP)
FK Jelgava (LVA)/PFC Litex Lovech (BUL) v FC Flora Tallinn (EST)/FK Rabotnicki (MKD)
FK Mladá Boleslav v FK Partizani (ALB)/Strømsgodset IF (NOR)
SJK Seinäjoki (FIN)/FH Hafnarfjördur (ISL) v KF Laçi (ALB)/İnter Bakı PİK (AZE)
NK Domžale (SVN)/FK Čukarički (SRB) v FC Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO)/Qäbälä FK (AZE)
PFC Cherno More Varna v FC Dinamo Minsk
Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC v FC Astra Giurgiu
Glenavon FC (NIR)/FC Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR) v Wolfsberger AC
HNK Rijeka v KF Shkëndija (MKD)/Aberdeen FC (SCO)
FK Olimpic Sarajevo (BIH)/FC Spartak Trnava (SVK) v NSÍ Runavík (FRO)/Linfield FC (NIR)
Trabzonspor AŞ v FC Differdange 03 (LUX)/Bala Town FC (WAL)
FC Lusitans (AND)/West Ham United FC (ENG)* v Birkirkara FC (MLT)/Ulisses FC (ARM)
FC København v Newtown AFC (WAL)/Valletta FC (MLT)
R. Charleroi SC v FC Ordabasy Shymkent (KAZ)/Beitar Jerusalem FC (ISL)
FC Saxan (MDA)/Apollon Limassol FC (CYP) v FK Trakai (LTU)/HB Tórshavn (FRO)
NK Celje (SVN)/WKS Śląsk Wrocław (POL) v IFK Göteborg
UE Sant Julià (AND)/Randers FC (DEN) v FC Lahti (FIN)/IF Elfsborg (SWE)
Víkingur Reykjavík (ISL)/NK Koper v JK Sillamäe Kalev (EST)/HNK Hajduk Split (CRO)
Skonto FC (LVA)/Saint Patrick's Athletic FC (IRL) v Debreceni VSC (HUN)/FK Sutjeska (MNE)

11174802_1174340755924940_2979260287466422070_n.jpg

Good XI
Bardi Bardi in goal. Any chance you can let a few in against England mate?

Ta x

Annoying, 2 walk overs.
Or an utterly embarrassing early exit! :kaboullol:

Was always gonna be easy - look at those fucking teams!! :levylol:

They might play in Barcelona because the demand will be high.
Demand by who? Andorra's population wouldn't fill the Nou Camp (assuming that is the ground used). Even so, a country of 85,000 - how many are keen football fans willing to support that specific club over a border?

If the demand is on West Ham's side, tough fucking shit. Playing in a larger stadium to accommodate more away fans plays into their hands, making it less of an away game. They could easily take more travelling fans than FC Whatever can at 'home'.

If any compromise is to be reached it would be playing in the Andorran National Stadium which has a capacity of just over 3,000, limiting away tickets to...what...400?

Ta x

Annoying, 2 walk overs.

Demand by who? Andorra's population wouldn't fill the Nou Camp (assuming that is the ground used). Even so, a country of 85,000 - how many are keen football fans willing to support that specific club over a border?

If the demand is on West Ham's side, tough fucking shit. Playing in a larger stadium to accommodate more away fans plays into their hands, making it less of an away game. They could easily take more travelling fans than FC Whatever can at 'home'.

If any compromise is to be reached it would be playing in the Andorran National Stadium which has a capacity of just over 3,000, limiting away tickets to...what...400?

Ta x

A Polish team or Ukrainian would have been interesting.

Ta x

Fair enough didn't think about the national stadium. Their national team has done it before. I was not actually talking about camp nou, maybe Espanyol but we will see. I think the police and town will have a tough time if it played in their stadium. It is up to the home team and I really don't see why they wouldn't want to make more money from it.

It might get moved agreed, but not sure about high demand. Can't imagine more than 1000/1500 West Ham will ravel bearing in mind it's in 10 days time making travel arrangements, time off work, cost, etc very difficult.

Back
Top Bottom