'EPL'

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not really. Old Englsih was vastly different and has West Germanic origins.
Don't think that was the point of the comment. English (and Spanish, French, and Portuguese) had less phonetic shifting in the New World than in Europe, so the language spoken in isolated, mountaintop West Virginia was, at the start of the 20th c., closer to Elizabethan English than anything being spoken on the British Isles.

As for "soccer", I suspect the snobbism against the word is of rather recent (< 30y.) vintage. One of the things I found remarkable in The Glory Game was how much author, players, and even Bill Nic, iirc, freely interchange "soccer" and "football". Sadly my copy's loaned out now, so I can't back up this hunch.

I never mentioned 'soccer' in the OP so I'm struggling with that particular digression; while I don't like it, I full understand the linguistic integrity of the name.

And like SS pointed out, the argument that Americans are using a purer form of English is plainly and completely wrong. You don't have to have an English gcse to know that much - Columbus didn't rewrite their dictionary, and some of their better literary works are written properly too.

I could launch in to my 'America is the Chelsea of the world' speech but that was never the point, it was just the term EPL, anything after that was largely a joke - my dry humour seems to be a stumbling block, another American sterotype for you - and how the term is an obommination.

Starting to understand the rational behind preferring Tottenham when we were shit and nobody else cared about us :defoe:

And like SS pointed out, the argument that Americans are using a purer form of English is plainly and completely wrong.
No one said 'purer'. The post Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon was responding to suggested that American English relied more on earlier orthography standards that were later changed in Britain (the 'adding of "u"s' or whatever). That's a non-starter (so my jumping in was a bit of a non sequitur), as orthography was standardised at different times and using different sources on both sides of the Atlantic. US orthography is a result of Noah Webster's belief that the aristocracy in England had denatured English. Whether he's right or not is not important. Parallel spelling systems is the result.

On the other hand, it is simply the case that the language changed less slowly in North America than in England. This is completely, absolutely value neutral. If anyone were to take pride in it and thump their chests by arguing for 'purer', then they're just fools—after all, the reason the language changed more slowly is because people were isolated from the outside world and didn't come in contact with new words, new accents, etc.

No one said 'purer'. The post Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon was responding to suggested that American English relied more on earlier orthography standards that were later changed in Britain (the 'adding of "u"s' or whatever). That's a non-starter (so my jumping in was a bit of a non sequitur), as orthography was standardised at different times and using different sources on both sides of the Atlantic. US orthography is a result of Noah Webster's belief that the aristocracy in England had denatured English. Whether he's right or not is not important. Parallel spelling systems is the result.
vM0ge.jpg

On the other hand, it is simply the case that the language changed less slowly in North America than in England. This is completely, absolutely value neutral. If anyone were to take pride in it and thump their chests by arguing for 'purer', then they're just fools—after all, the reason the language changed more slowly is because people were isolated from the outside world and didn't come in contact with new words, new accents, etc.
This is just shockingly wrong. It was the New World, not the Moon. Just about every major European power had a permanent presence in the Americas, and the settlers were doubtlessly among the most culturally diverse in their day, it wasn't just a bunch of Brits that the world forgot about until the early 20th century.

Hell, at the outbreak of the First World War there were many that thought the US might enter on the side of the Germans, such was the German population at that time in the US. Coupled with the Native American influence and the mind-boggling degree to which we've adopted a Spanish influence courtesy of our neighbors to the South, I really don't know where you're coming from with that statement.
:avbshock:

Reading are losing 2-1 to Man united in the EPL

Oh and we're 4th in the EPL.
Who do you think will get promoted from the Championship to the EPL? Do you think QPR will get relegated from the EPL?

EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL

EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL ELEPLEPLEPLPELEPLEPLEPLEPLEPELPELPELLE
Twitter_logo_JPEG.jpg

keep-calm-the-epl-starts-this-weekend-2.png

it wasn't just a bunch of Brits that the world forgot about until the early 20th century.

I'm not talking about New York City. I'm talking about mountaintops in West Virginia, which I referred to explicitly in my opening post in this thread.

We don't actually know what Elizabethans sounded like, but it's a popular theory that the closest example we have is Appalachian English.

I'm not talking about New York City. I'm talking about mountaintops in West Virginia, which I referred to explicitly in my opening post in this thread.

We don't actually know what Elizabethans sounded like, but it's a popular theory that the closest example we have is Appalachian English.
That's actually wicked interesting.

I never mentioned 'soccer' in the OP so I'm struggling with that particular digression; while I don't like it, I full understand the linguistic integrity of the name.

And like SS pointed out, the argument that Americans are using a purer form of English is plainly and completely wrong. You don't have to have an English gcse to know that much - Columbus didn't rewrite their dictionary, and some of their better literary works are written properly too.

I could launch in to my 'America is the Chelsea of the world' speech but that was never the point, it was just the term EPL, anything after that was largely a joke - my dry humour seems to be a stumbling block, another American sterotype for you - and how the term is an obommination.

Starting to understand the rational behind preferring Tottenham when we were shit and nobody else cared about us :defoe:
Don__t_push_the_button_by_nataliesmillie.jpg

It's really quite an interesting experience being an American Spurs fan. We have to tolerate incessant ridicule at home for following a kids' game that 99% of Americans don't care about or actively hate. Then we have to tolerate incessant ridicule online for using funny words or being warmongering, Dempsey-loving, McDonald's-eating nimrods.

And THEN remember we're Spurs fans after all, so we're consistently being kicked in the balls in terms of the actual sport.

I wouldn't change a thing, though. Not a bit of it. Now lace up your "shoes" and get out on the "field" and let's play some "soccer" and quit crying about 1776.

Ahem, it's "bastardize" and "apologize." Do they not teach spelling on your island?

Just going to give my opinion, forgive me if i'm rude, I just hate this kind of nonsense.. (sorry if I upset you)

Do you seriously believe that English people are bitter about 1776? Nobody here was alive then, the fact that you still celebrate it is a mystery, although it makes sense in a way as it is probably the most important cultural/historical change that your country holds. Considering you're such a young country, I forgive your naive approach to all world issues and lack of democracy (yet you continue to preach freedom and democracy to other nations), how can you expect the UK public to feel any jealousy for a country that almost elected an utter moron as their President? Furthermore, it is our language, you modified it (simplified it). I wont go on.. as I could write a book larger than the old testament on this subject.

Now, back to serious issues...:nawty:... EPL, BPL, I don't care.

Just going to give my opinion, forgive me if i'm rude, I just hate this kind of nonsense.. (sorry if I upset you)

Do you seriously believe that English people are bitter about 1776? Nobody here was alive then, the fact that you still celebrate it is a mystery, although it makes sense in a way as it is probably the most important cultural/historical change that your country holds. Considering you're such a young country, I forgive your naive approach to all world issues and lack of democracy (yet you continue to preach freedom and democracy to other nations), how can you expect the UK public to feel any jealousy for a country that almost elected an utter moron as their President? Furthermore, it is our language, you modified it (simplified it). I wont go on.. as I could write a book larger than the old testament on this subject.

Now, back to serious issues...:nawty:... EPL, BPL, I don't care.
I don't think anyone here actually thinks you guys are butthurt about 1776. He was just fuckin around.
7e14c7_3261760.jpg

I'm sorry but this cracks me up everytime

Back
Top Bottom