'EPL'

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

americans;

please, please, please stop referring to the league as the 'epl' - it's a fucking horrible term.

it's the premier league, the premiership, the prem, the league, the top flight - heck, I'll even take the old division one rather than EPL.

if Tottenham are playing in the league, we're all well aware it's going to be based in England, prefixing the country is nonsensical.

I don't understand what you're making the distinction from? if your media uses it to highlight it's difference from the MLS, I'll let you in to a little secret - no cunt's that thick he's gonna mistake the 'major' league (which, as a side note, is a shit name) for our premier one, even in america.

thank you, as you were.

breakingbad10.gif

americans;
if your media uses it to highlight it's difference from the MLS, I'll let you in to a little secret - no cunt's that thick he's gonna mistake the 'major' league (which, as a side note, is a shit name) for our premier one, even in america.

I think the American media uses the term EPL (or BPL) to distinguish the Premier League from all other professional leagues in the world, not just MLS.

On behalf of America and Americans, all of whom are profoundly deficient in some way, I apologize for this inappropriate use of terminology. In our defense, though, we are a tolerant and forgiving people. People around here constantly refer to soccer as "football" and you never hear any of us complain!

:troll:

Why are English people so precious about stuff like this? No offence intended to Bains here by the way. But all this "don't say soccer" shit is boring.

the reason for writing and saying EPL, is that there are more than one league called 'Premier League' out there in the world. It is also what it's called in FM as they don't have the license to call it the BPL.

Why are English people so precious about stuff like this? No offence intended to Bains here by the way. But all this "don't say soccer" shit is boring.
Oh I'll say soccer until the cows come home. The only time I didn't was when I was in london, but I want someone to punch me if I call it football while I'm in Murrica.

Yeah there were loads of the crystal palace cheerleaders strutting around in my local shopping mall recently, I stuck around for a while, for shopping purposes of course.

Agreed. I first saw it being referred to as EPL when downloading games on torrent sites. Plus with Swansea and potentially Cardiff being promoted now it doesn't even make sense.

Agreed. I first saw it being referred to as EPL when downloading games on torrent sites. Plus with Swansea and potentially Cardiff being promoted now it doesn't even make sense.

Still makes sense, Swansea and Cardiff are just Welsh clubs playing in the English League, the League of Wales exists and has a wide variety of shit teams in it, it's even more pointless than the Scottish League. But it's there none the less.

As for calling it "EPL" or "Soccer" is it really the end of the World? Soccer is a British term anyway if you look at the history of it. And EPL is exactly what it says it is the English Premier League. It's not like they are mutilating it to call it the "British World Series of Soccerball" or any dumb shit like that.

It's really quite an interesting experience being an American Spurs fan. We have to tolerate incessant ridicule at home for following a kids' game that 99% of Americans don't care about or actively hate. Then we have to tolerate incessant ridicule online for using funny words or being warmongering, Dempsey-loving, McDonald's-eating nimrods.

And THEN remember we're Spurs fans after all, so we're consistently being kicked in the balls in terms of the actual sport.

I wouldn't change a thing, though. Not a bit of it. Now lace up your "shoes" and get out on the "field" and let's play some "soccer" and quit crying about 1776.

Back
Top Bottom