England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just rewatched the CL final - Bastoni was incredible. Had Haaland in his pocket.

Maybe you need to watch Bastoni play before commenting.

Bastoni has barely developed at all since we were linked to him and has had games being subbed off after 30 minutes. Numerous posters on here have even commented how happy they are we didn’t sign him due to how much his development stalled.

Stones got a standing ovation when he came off in the CL final, he was that good. And he was absolutely integral to their treble win. If Bastoni is world class and he isn’t I have no idea what metric you are using.

He’s a PL player. Imagine him in 30C heat on a summer tournament

You can't fault his effort or his engine, and he does pop up with the odd goal now and again when played further forward. He's just so one paced though. Seems to take an eternity to do anything. He's a poor man's Henderson. Nobody can tell me that Ross Barkley wouldn't have offered so much more in that role the other night with his passing range and ability to travel with the ball up field.

Bastoni has barely developed at all since we were linked to him and has had games being subbed off after 30 minutes. Numerous posters on here have even commented how happy they are we didn’t sign him due to how much his development stalled.

Stones got a standing ovation when he came off in the CL final, he was that good. And he was absolutely integral to their treble win. If Bastoni is world class and he isn’t I have no idea what metric you are using.
« Numerous posters » - well in that case…

Being substituted off after 30 minutes doesn’t mean much. Which game are you referring to where that happened? Any context?

Bastoni has been playing in probably the most tactically creative team in Europe this season. The way they play is unbelievable with the CMs dropping back and the CBs pushing forward. He is a huge part of that because he’s so comfortable on the ball. In an inter team that has played extremely well this season.

It’s not worth debating a player you haven’t seen though against a metric (« world class ») for which there are no clear parameters.

I did. I then corrected it immediately. That’s how knowledge works. Did you address the point (England have a poor record under Southgate against the best teams) which remained unaltered by the initial inaccuracy?

Giroud’s experience playing in top games clearly is relevant today. That’s how experience works.

Argentina have one world class player?
Italy none?
Germany?

You’re not a serious poster.

Germany and Argentina have top players. I'm struggling to think of many in an Italy shirt though. Lots of very good players, but world-class? Closest they have is Federico Chiesa and perhaps Jorginho purely as a defensive midfielder, although he's a little past his peak now. Maybe the keeper although I've never been super impressed by him.

Germany and Argentina have top players. I'm struggling to think of many in an Italy shirt though. Lots of very good players, but world-class? Closest they have is Federico Chiesa and perhaps Jorginho purely as a defensive midfielder, although he's a little past his peak now. Maybe the keeper although I've never been super impressed by him.
Barella and Bastoni for me. Chiesa isn’t. Jorginho level below.

They would walk into both the England and France team.

« Numerous posters » - well in that case…

Being substituted off after 30 minutes doesn’t mean much. Which game are you referring to where that happened? Any context?

Bastoni has been playing in probably the most tactically creative team in Europe this season. The way they play is unbelievable with the CMs dropping back and the CBs pushing forward. He is a huge part of that because he’s so comfortable on the ball. In an inter team that has played extremely well this season.

It’s not worth debating a player you haven’t seen though against a metric (« world class ») for which there are no clear parameters.

Erm, and Stones is playing for a treble winning Pep Guardiola team? Like what are we doing here if you’re going to say being in a tactically creative side which just went out in the RO16 means world class but playing for the treble winners doesn’t.

Also being comfortable on the ball. Stones is so comfortable he’s been used in midfield. He did against Inter and was arguably man of the match.

If Stones isn’t world class, then Bastoni definitely isn’t. It really is that simple. You’ve put Bastoni in there because he’s Italian, not because anything he has done or does do is objectively better than Stones.

Stones is the best ball playing centre-back in the world bar none. The only thing that used to go against him was that he used to have brain farts in dangerous areas and they always seemed to get punished. But I genuinely can't remember the last time he made a bad mistake.

I'd put him on the same level as Terry and Ferdinand, but would take him over both.

Forgot about Barella to be fair. He's probably their best player overall.

Barella is the only one I’d include. I didn’t because my bar was set so high that players like Musiala, Stones, Walker and Theo Hernandez didn’t get in.

My bar was pretty much superstar level. So only Kane and Bellingham for us. Is Barella a superstar?

I kind of have the same perception of "World Class" as LeParisien, though mine is set at a firm 5 for each position, rather than 3-5.

Everyone will have different metric, or reasons, for including certain players in their own opinion, which is why this is such a pointless argument, but pointless arguments is probably what this forum excels at.

One could say to a "World Class" level wot?

Is Tomori injured? And do we have any avid Serie A watchers? I know he was a bit shakier last season but seems to be playing when fit for 2nd in Italy, won a league with them a while back as a starter .. yet we'll see Lewis Dunk in the running before him?

Doesn't make much sense.

This would have been relevant around 15 years ago and I would have probably agreed but since the obvious decline of Intl football and other leagues and the improvement in the Premier League, I think there's nothing controversial with saying that England have some of the best players in the world, like nothing at all.

2 things can be true by the way, like some players can be over-rated that doesn't mean they can't still be rated.

Besides all that all this kinda misses the point anyway - I'm sure the original debate was about who was favourites for the EUROS, comparing individual players is pointless, all about how you play as a team and the balance of it.
Shadydan Shadydan Mate, England have always had one or two of the best players in the world. There were occasions when It has the BEST. But as you have acknowledged nuance, in correctly pointing out that two things can be true, I will happily discuss this with you.

Not once have I denied that as a group our under age and senior men's teams have not improved. The England DNA, play through the thirds mantra increased quality. But what the folk high on the SKY supply fail to acknowledge or even see is the work isn't even nearly complete.

We still elevate physicality and being dominant in duals by nature of the way the game is played on this Island but NOT international level, to our detriment. The kid obsessed with the micro over the macro point I was actually making, would start wailing about Saka and Kane at Stones and Maddison and Foden as proof this is a stereotype whilst ignoring the point that this fetishism still has Eric Dier, Harry Maguire, Lewis Dunk, Jordan Henderson and Connor Gallagher winning Senior caps. This kind of footballer rooted in physicality and little else will need to be totally phased out of our game culture. Its far from a revolutionary idea but we are wedded to our past no matter how hard we wish to deny it.

It will take a few more cycles to get beyond this attritional belife in how you defend and how you contend midfield but it will eventually come. We have prehaps three elite players and one worldclass one. This isn't as of itself an issue as I said pages ago we are discussing ENGLAND not other teams and teams HAVE won tournaments with little more at their disposal. But those sides did not carry the ingrained habitual issues that the England's men's team does. These issues are not fixed by Semi finals (lol!!) or by coaches from within this culture who have never won Anything. Lionel Scaloni did not come from within such a culture, nor does Nagelsmann or Dechamp. Look no further for your winner.

All this before taking into account Southgate as tactician, or most detrimental , the toxic relationship between the mens national team it's 'fans' and it's position as a totem in the culture war and its odd symbolic status as a kind of societal scapegoat. It's so fucked up you could write a play about ....oh yeah right.

Last edited:
Shady...England have always had one or two of the best players in the world. There were occasions when It has the BEST. But as you have acknowledged nuance, in correctly pointing out that two things can be true, I will happily discuss this with you. Not once have I denied that as a group our under age and senior men's teams have improved. The England DNA play through the thirds mantra increased quality. But what the folk high on the SKY supply fail to acknowledge or even see is the work isn't even nearly complete.

That isn't the argument though is it? I think everyone is aware that England aren't the finished article and that's mainly down to the manager however with that being said looking at the teams on paper there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that they should be going into the tournament as joint favs especially considering now we're in an age where the opposition isn't as good as it was and Intl football isn't as strong as it was.

We still elevate physicality and being dominant in duals by nature of the way the game is played on this Island but NOT international level, to our detriment. The kid obsessed with the micro over the macro point I was actually making, would start wailing about Saka and Kane at Stones and Maddison and Foden as proof this is a stereotype whilst ignoring the point that this fetishism still has Eric Dier, Harry Maguire, Lewis Dunk, Jordan Henderson and Connor Gallagher winning Senior caps. This kind of footballer rooted in pure physicality and little else will need to be totally phased out of our game culture. Its far from a revolutionary idea but we are wedded to our past no matter how hard we wish to deny it.

This is a dated argument, France also elevate physicality and being dominant in duels and they've been the most successful European team over the last decade or so, it's just how football is nowadays - look at the Portugal team and to a lesser extent look at Germany, technical ability is being ousted for physicality.

Out of the players you mentioned only Maguire would start regularly anyway.
It will take a few more cycles to get beyond this attritional belife in how you defend and how you contend midfield but it will eventually come. We have prehaps three elite players and one worldclass one. This isn't as of itself an issue as I said pages ago we are discussing ENGLAND not other teams and teams HAVE win tournaments with little more at their disposal. But those sides did not carry the ingrained habitual issues that the England's men's team does. These issues are not fixed by Semi finals (lol!!) or by coaches from within this culture who have never won ANYTHINH. Lionel Scaloni did not come from within such a culture, nor does Nagelsmann or Dechamp. Look no further for your winner.

Agreed - Coaching issue though, not player issue.

What's so amusing about my Stones comment? The guy is a baller and has been outstanding for a few years now. Much less of a prick as the likes of Ferdinand and Terry also. There isn't another centre-back in Europe who plays the role he does for City as well as he can.

That isn't the argument though is it? I think everyone is aware that England aren't the finished article and that's mainly down to the manager however with that being said looking at the teams on paper there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that they should be going into the tournament as joint favs especially considering now we're in an age where the opposition isn't as good as it was and Intl football isn't as strong as it was.

This is a dated argument, France also elevate physicality and being dominant in duels and they've been the most successful European team over the last decade or so, it's just how football is nowadays - look at the Portugal team and to a lesser extent look at Germany, technical ability is being ousted for physicality.

Out of the players you mentioned only Maguire would start regularly anyway.

Agreed - Coaching issue though, not player issue.
It's not an issue for France Shady because it isn't central to the way they think about football. There's always been Basil Boli. It is central to English football identity and you can see it in the way it holds fast to Henderson and Gallagher whilst Maddison is a peripheral. I'd not get hung up on what bookmakers say, and I've made zero attempts to contend their machinations.

Finally but probably most important culture and history matter.The odd head-space the mens team assume with its weird fans, it's relationship with its media( I'll never forget dignified old Roy Hodgson telling them in his resignation press conference they were at the heart of all that was wrong....the wankers laughed at him BUT HE WAS IS...RIGHT) being halfway through the book on playing through the thirds won't fix any of this. It's nice the fans have hope but I suspect they have a bit more waiting to do yet. I don't see Harry Kane being the one that ends the grail quest.

What's so amusing about my Stones comment? The guy is a baller and has been outstanding for a few years now. Much less of a prick as the likes of Ferdinand and Terry also. There isn't another centre-back in Europe who plays the role he does for City as well as he can.
Bastoni. Ruben Dias. Rudiger. Van Dijk.

All world class ball-playing centrebacks.

Edit: obviously only one of them does it for city!

It's not an issue for France Shady because it isn't central to the way they think about football. There's always been Basil Boli. It is central to English football identity and you can see it in the way it holds fast to Henderson and Gallagher whilst Maddison is a peripheral. I'd not get hung up on what bookmakers say, and I've made zero attempts to contend their machinations.

Finally but probably most important culture and history matter.The odd head-space the mens team assume with its weird fans, it's relationship with its media( I'll never forget dignified old Roy Hodgson telling them in his resignation press conference they were at the heart of all that was wrong....the wankers laughed at him) being halfway through the book on playing through the thirds won't fix any of this.

Maddison is a peripheral because he is a 10 and we have Jude Bellingham and Phil Foden who are both better tens than him. You can't play multiple tens, it doesn't work. The concept of a workman CM who makes life easier for teammates is not even close to unique to English football.

The culture around the England team lately has been absolutely fine, with a really nice feel-good atmosphere which has led us to a WC semi-final, a Euros final (lost on pens) and a quarter-final loss against France while having more possession, more shots, more shots on target and generally being the better team. We lost, but the game was good and there were none of these 'England play limited footie' myths.

We probably won't win the Euros. Winning tournaments is tough, some incredible sides have failed to do it. But we'll absolutely compete and we absolutely have a solid a chance as pretty much anybody does. Why anyone would want to deny that having seen us in recent years I really don't know.

Back
Top Bottom