England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a silly semantic debate but beyond the first 4, none can really said to have been world class this season.

It was a joke but world class is the most poorly defined term in football. Does it mean could play at any level with success? Then I’d say most of that list is. Does it mean would start for any team? Then no. Does it mean best in your position? Again, no.

I think Liew means it as these players would be making pretty much any squad in the world. It doesn’t mean that to somebody else, which is why it’s weird wringing hands over it.

Give the below to Pep and see what he does, Pickford is clearly an issue but otherwise perfect fit.

Pickfor
Walker Stones Branthwaite Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Gordon
Kane

Give the below to Klopp and see what he does

Pickford
Mainoo Rice Bellingham
Saka Kane Foden

To be fair the English disease of management goes back along way, Scholes on the left wing, Hoddle in the 80’s not used. The FA has a huge aversion to growth, winning and development, they are losers and oddly seem proud of it.
Be surprised if either of those two didn’t find a spot for Trent. He’s a superb footballer, Hoddle esque enigma

If we beat Belgium and put in a good performance ultimately I think this game will soon be completely forgotten about. Maddison has to come in for creativity, we can't expect Bellingham and Foden to do it all the time, and Palmer deserves a go. I think he will take to International football like a duck to water, he just has the mentality. I just hope we don't see Gallagher in this game. I can only take so much of him sloppily give them ball away, chasing the opponent down like a Bulldog to a bone and fouling him because he can't tackle.
He’s a PL player. Imagine him in 30C heat on a summer tournament

It was a joke but world class is the most poorly defined term in football. Does it mean could play at any level with success? Then I’d say most of that list is. Does it mean would start for any team? Then no. Does it mean best in your position? Again, no.

I think Liew means it as these players would be making pretty much any squad in the world. It doesn’t mean that to somebody else, which is why it’s weird wringing hands over it.
It can’t mean « would be making pretty much any squad in the world » because that is true of every big nation and then it doesn’t give much food for thought « as we approach Gareth Southgate’s fourth major tournament ».

He’s exaggerating for effect.

It can’t mean « would be making pretty much any squad in the world » because that is true of every big nation and then it doesn’t give much food for thought « as we approach Gareth Southgate’s fourth major tournament ».

He’s exaggerating for effect.

It isn’t true of every big nation. There’s lots of players knocking about at big nations who wouldn’t meet that mark.

Liew writes with romance and yeah he can be a little dramatic and flowery sometimes but it’s nice, it captures the romanticism of the sport itself.

Give the below to Pep and see what he does, Pickford is clearly an issue but otherwise perfect fit.

Pickfor
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Gordon
Kane

Give the below to Klopp and see what he does

Pickford
Mainoo Rice Bellingham
Saka Kane Foden

To be fair the English disease of management goes back along way, Scholes on the left wing, Hoddle in the 80’s not used. The FA has a huge aversion to growth, winning and development, they are losers and oddly seem proud of it.

Pep would play Walker, Stones and 2 more CBs. I think he’d probably play the fastest left footed CB we have at LB.

He’d probably find space for a player like Maddison as well

Pep would play Walker, Stones and 2 more CBs. I think he’d probably play the fastest left footed CB we have at LB.

He’d probably find space for a player like Maddison as well

He’d play Shaw. He’s played CB on the left for United.

Shaw is actually really, really good when he’s not busy being broken. He was fantastic at the Euros.

Shame our best fullbacks are crocks. James and Shaw.

Right back is less an issue, yeah James is incredible but you could get away with any of Trippier, Walker or TAA as very good options in various ways. James I've given up on - he's an Abou Diaby at right back, you can't count on him at all.

Left back we need Shaw fit. I honestly think him being fit for the Euros is one of the biggest factors in whether we'll do well or not. I just don't rate Chilwell at all at either ends of the pitch anymore and don't want to see that horrid inverted wing back shit from Trippier.

Shaw/Branthwaite/Stones/Walker is a top backline. Clubs in the Summer will circle for Branthwaite for 60/70m, he's 6'5, quick, comfortable in possession and slots in nicely at LCB. I don't care that he's young, look at the mistake Maguire made vs Brazil with all his bloody 'experience'. Where you don't have good senior options you trust youth, and then you trust Walker and Stones in particular to help settle them.

Right back is less an issue, yeah James is incredible but you could get away with any of Trippier, Walker or TAA as very good options in various ways. James I've given up on - he's an Abou Diaby at right back, you can't count on him at all.

Left back we need Shaw fit. I honestly think him being fit for the Euros is one of the biggest factors in whether we'll do well or not. I just don't rate Chilwell at all at either ends of the pitch anymore and don't want to see that horrid inverted wing back shit from Trippier.

Shaw/Branthwaite/Stones/Walker is a top backline. Clubs in the Summer will circle for Branthwaite for 60/70m, he's 6'5, quick, comfortable in possession and slots in nicely at LCB. I don't care that he's young, look at the mistake Maguire made vs Brazil with all his bloody 'experience'. Where you don't have good senior options you trust youth, and then you trust Walker and Stones in particular to help settle them.

Uhhh I literally made the same point about Mainoo and you dismissed it saying that we need Henderson's experience, make your mind up.

Uhhh I literally made the same point about Mainoo and you dismissed it saying that we need Henderson's experience, make your mind up.

I didn't dismiss it, I said that I get why Henderson is in the squad. That's very different from say starting Maguire because experience when a better player is on the bench. I don't want us to start Henderson or Maguire, I'm okay with both being in the squad.

Branthwaite is 21 anyway, Mainoo is 18. There's a decent developmental gap between the two.

Usual hyperbolic drivel from Mr Liew I see. Yes, we've got some great talent, but fuck me that 'world-class' label gets thrown around far too freely and cheaply.

Personally, I don't think we'd have any 'world class' talent on the bench, let alone a "galaxy" of it.
I 100% agree with you. But this island is terrible at honest and clear head self appraisal. I disconnected from this debate years ago because frankly it produces heat but zero light. We have some talented players but genuine world class players two maybe three. I don't belive Saka is world class no matter how much I'm told this.

I 100% agree with you. But this island is terrible at honest and clear head self appraisal. I disconnected from this debate years ago because frankly it produces heat but zero light. We have some talented players but genuine world class players two maybe three. I don't belive Saka is world class no matter how much I'm told this.

I’m confused as to how Manchester City’s player of the season or their starting right back for years or their first choice centre back coming off an incredible season aren’t ‘World class’ unless your definition is very prohibitive.

You don’t have to believe it. The numbers say it though.

I’m also still waiting for these other countries we compete with who have more than four world class players.
You keep saying this like you think you are owed some kind of explanation it's not something I claimed. I've told you before we certainly disagree on what we regard as world class players. It seems to be your problem not mine. Have a good night work in the morning .

RicharliSon said:
You're not wrong, but outside of France you could pick holes in every other top side in Europe that will play at the Euros.

Shotgunofmichalebrown: said
Yes you could mate, but I'm talking about England and the lack of context you hear when people talk about them as potential tournament winners.

:davieshmm:

Last edited:
You keep saying this like you think you are owed some kind of explanation it's not something I claimed. I've told you before we certainly disagree on what we regard as world class players. It seems to be your problem not mine. Have a good night work in the morning .

RicharliSon said:
You're not wrong, but outside of France you could pick holes in every other top side in Europe that will play at the Euros.

Shotgunofmichalebrown: said
Yes you could mate, but I'm talking about England and the lack of context you hear when people talk about them as potential tournament winners.

:davieshmm:

A) Why would England not be talked about as potential tournament winners when their direct rivals for it have the same or less world class players than they do?

B) That wasn’t specifically aimed at you. It was actually aimed at another poster who was was saying there were other, better teams.

Anyway I’ll give it a go. I’m being harsh.

Brazil: Vini Jr, Alisson.

Argentina: Romero maybe? Minus Messi now the squads average.

Italy: Nobody. I’d have said Verratti years ago.

Spain: Rodri

Germany: Gundogan based on last season, possibly Ter Stegen though I hear level has dropped.

Belgium: KDB, Courtois

Netherlands: VVD

Portugal: Ruben Dias, B. Silva

France: Griezmann, Mbappe.

Those are the top teams. Nobody has more than two imo. Same with England who have Kane and Bellingham. If I loosen the definition to allow in say Theo Hernandez, then Walker, Stones or Foden are in.

England have two bonafide ones and a really mostly very talented squad round them. That makes us clear contenders. There’s no logical reason we shouldn’t be.

Anyway I’ll give it a go. I’m being harsh.

Brazil: Vini Jr, Alisson.

Argentina: Romero maybe? Minus Messi now the squads average.

Italy: Nobody. I’d have said Verratti years ago.

Spain: Rodri

Germany: Gundogan based on last season, possibly Ter Stegen though I hear level has dropped.

Belgium: KDB, Courtois

Netherlands: VVD

Portugal: Ruben Dias, B. Silva

France: Griezmann, Mbappe.

Those are the top teams. Nobody has more than two imo. Same with England who have Kane and Bellingham. If I loosen the definition to allow in say Theo Hernandez, then Walker, Stones or Foden are in.

England have two bonafide ones and a really mostly very talented squad round them. That makes us clear contenders. There’s no logical reason we shouldn’t be.
Your premier league bias is hilarious. You are The Sun’s editorial team in 2002.

Shotgunofmichalebrow Shotgunofmichalebrow is right

Back
Top Bottom